• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Korum Ruckbag XL Problem

Steve Walker

First of all I have to say I own a lot and am a big fan of Korum gear,it is well designed,innovative and good quality.However I have had a problem with the ruckbag xl.

The stitching has come apart just above the main zip and just below where the shoulder straps attach to the bag,I realise this is the main load bearing point of the ruckbag and I do carry too much tackle in it :( but I think it should be strengthened in this area.

Problem is I have lost the receipt :mad:it is about 9 months old but has had plenty of use.

HPIM2470.jpg

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem?I like the features of the ruckbag,especially the ability to carry the Korum lightweight chair,but if this is a weakness I would be reluctant to buy another one.

I had this problem with another make of rucksack, I managed to get it repaired locally by a cobbler who had an industrial sewing machine, he double stitched a full length of webbing along on top of the split, worked a treat.
If you dont have the reciept for it, you may well have a record of purchase on a bank statement, that will prove the date it was purchased and where.

Dave

Thanks guys,I paid cash so don't have any record on my bank statements.I would like to get another as it's a brilliant design.I have used the ''contact us''form on the Korum website(hate the security code,I can never decipher the letters:mad:)

Will report back here with details about their response.;)

Hi Steve, When the stitching came away on the strap of my Korum Rod holder Quiver after 7 months use Korum changed it no problem, and i had lost my receipt. Give them a call or leave it at the shop you brought it for the Rep to see. I am sure they will give you a replacement.

Regards Ray Thorpe

hi steve , i had same problem with my rucksack, it went like that after 3 months took back to the shop, and they replaced it no problem,

probably worth inboxing Chris Ponsford as he has a sponsorship with korum.
regards

Afraid to say I'm on my 3rd one ! First went around the zip and the 2nd around the zip and the chair hooks. I've ended up cutting the. Chair hooks off the latest one as they had started to fray ! I'm sure this one has only lasted longer due to my lack of activity over the last couple of seasons !
Great concept let down by poor construction ! Shame as I like it a lot !
Have 2 Total Protection Quivers and they've been no problem !
Hate to say that any Fox luggage I've owned has been far superior !

Thats not an issue i have had, the ruckbag seems a very solid bit of kit. Korum have been good to me in the past, replacing a reel - give them a shout and see

I had the same problem, but assumed it happened because a mate's dog had been pawing it (as he brought it along the day I noticed it and it as sat on top). Either way, I binned it, and bought one of the standard size. Now, I don't even use that as I travel lighter.

Good luck with Korum.

I've had an XL for about 18 months and I'm getting the same problem, on one of the shoulder straps.

Shame because I really like it, and have pretty much used it every week since I had it.

Update

I contacted Korum customer services through their website and have been dealing with a very helpful guy called Stephen Lacey.He told me to take the ruckbag back to the retailer and the Korum rep would look at it.

He has got back to me to say they will replace it when they have some new stock in(they are currently out of stock).So the Korum customer service is indeed very good,I may take the advice on here and get some strong webbing stitched in at a cobblers as it is a very good design let down by poor stitching in my opinion.

My Mrs bought me one a couple of years ago for Christmas. It's the one with a table built in to the top. My only problem with it is the weight. I thought it would be great as in addition to my tackle I could get all my bait, food, flask and spare clothing in it and only have to carry it and a quiver, the trouble is when its full and has the chair attached I can hardly lift it.

I experienced something similar with another make and they kindly replaced the rucksack. Dixie looked at the rucksack to see if she could repair it - she's good at this sort of stuff. Her analysis is the reason that they go on the seams is that there is not enough material to sew in the first place. So, penny pinching seems to be cause of these problems. Silly, really, if the rucksack is then replaced, it just doesn't make economic sense from the manufacturer's viewpoint and perhaps a lost customer.

I took an old Wychwood tackle bay into a tackle shop to see if they had something of similar size but with a waterproof base. A couple of the shop staff gathered around the bag - "Wow, look at the weight of the material, you won't see that now", said the gaffer. This particular bag is probably 20+ years old, just happens to be made in England and still going strong. I'm afraid it's a cheap chuck away culture and maybe that's not all bad. I remember talking to one of the guy's who founded Wychwood (true) a long time ago when they were transferring their manufacturing out of the UK. As he said, we can't compete if we continue to manufacture in the UK. So there we have it. Spend maybe a £120 for a rock solid bag made in the UK which might last a lifetime or £35 on a Far Eastern made bag which may last a few seasons. I don't know the answer, I'd like to think I'd opt for the former from my point of view, but there are people out there who possibly don't have that option from a financial perspective.

Come to think about it, I might just possibly commission a sadler to make a bespoke rucksack to my specification to go with my Hexagraphs. At least no one else on the bank would have one like it and that exclusivity just somehow appeals. And that's the annoying thing about the Hexagraphs, they are not entirely exclusive even though mine do have a discrete Coat of Arms on the butt cap which is fashioned from the finest English pewter.

I'm still using the Karrimor rucksack I bought in 1979 for my fishing sorties. The only thing that's broken is the zip on the top pocket and I've had the two fastening straps replaced. It went around Europe four times when I was a student, up hill and down dale (including the national three peaks challenge) and was built to last. Unfortunately, production in East Lancs didn't.

I've had my Korum ruckbag about three seasons now. I ripped it just like you Steve about the second time i used it. I assumed it was my fault for over filling it, and being lazy, just carried on using it.

And i still am three years later, with the same rather unsightly tear at the top of the bag. But it's never been anything more than cosmetic and the rest of it is still fine.

You are a bad man Jim...shame really, because that post started off so well :D:D:D

Cheers, Dave

I know, Dave. I've not been myself lately and just somehow got caught up in my irrationality mixed with a fair dollop of pomposity. Dixie thinks that I should be struck off. She can't cope anymore with the hate mail that arrives in the form of p.ms. She insists on reading them all and replying in each and every case. I have to concede that some of them are upsetting

I know, Dave. I've not been myself lately and just somehow got caught up in my irrationality mixed with a fair dollop of pomposity. Dixie thinks that I should be struck off. She can't cope anymore with the hate mail that arrives in the form of p.ms. She insists on reading them all and replying in each and every case. I have to concede that some of them are upsetting

I find irrationality and pomposity quite soothing Jim, especially when others indulge in it as well :p

Cheers, Dave.

Back