• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hampton Loade meeting

Phil Smith

I attended the getogther and it proved to be a very good meeting. with good weather it allowed plenty of social time - with 'bait and wait' methods you are not fixed to rods all day. Not many fish caught by the near 30 anglers attending but that was expected. Best barbel went near 8lb and chub went over 4lb - I blanked!

Steve laid on an excellent barbeque with bugers, sausages and cheese all available on the big soft white batches - great grub!

Many of the lads went down the pub for a social ready for todays effort - internal reinforcement - hopefully the overnight frost will not affect sport too much.

With better weather this would have been an all time classic - one to live up to in the future- well done to all involved in organising it and raising something in the order of £275 for charity.

Agree with Phil.
A really nice social event,great surroundings and great people.
Thanks to Steve(Scuba),Graham E,Mark and the two Andys for getting it up and running and making it such a pleasant experience.
Cheers.
Rich.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like also to say a special thanks to two other lads who also had on the pink tops of BFW.See told you pink the new camo. Joking apart Steve you make a great wife food was smashing mate .Graham /Mark well done for sorting it out mate hope its the first of many as i feel i made one or two new friends.Nice to See Andy and his famous mate Will Young show up.Even theo i blanked like many a good day was had by all.

Fishing was hard to say the least. Pub was smashing as was the Northern boys toasty cottage. Boy was it a cold night.

How was it sleeping in the field lads? :)

I think Mr Francis might have had just the one shandy too many!

Well done and thanks to all who organised and played a part. I especially liked Scubbas camo pinny.

Tony - I always have one too many! I never learn...

Although we turned up much later than planned, I had a great time. Didn't do much fishing on what is a beautiful stretch of river. The pub was great fun though I wish I could remember leaving...

I do clearly remember bursting out of my bivvy at 3:45am this morning to answer a call of nature. It was cold. Very cold. In fact I think it got down to minus 7.

Many thanks to Graham, Steve and Mark for organising this great event, and to everyone who attended. It was fantastic to see such a brilliant turn out, especially considering the weather forecast. The event raised £275 that will go towards our nominated charities.

Let's hope it's the start of many successful, sociable gatherings.

Regards,

Andy F

Echo all the above, the fishing was always going to take a back seat to the social side , the evening(night) in the pub was a huge plus.... thought the landlord was gonna ask us to leave for clogging up his bar till he realised how many drinks we were buying..... by the end of the night he was even giving us free food!!

Thanks to lads who did a great job organising it , and Scuba's cooking was well good:D
Was also good to put some faces to names...... they dont always look the way you think, sorry that i thought Tony2canes was a little retired old man with 2 walking sticks....he's not:eek:

Hope this is a sign of things to come and looking forward to the next one already, and hope everyone had a safe trip home.

Urgh...........i'm never drinking again,how's the head Andy, mine is still fuzzy!!

I would like to add my thanks to Graham, Steve and Mark for the organisation and congrats to Mark and Mick for bagging the only Barbel.

I put this on the Events page, but added here now

I came back early because of illness in the family.

Very hard fishing (followed by even harder drinking!!)

Mark Nicholls and Mick managed a barbel in the first day and 3 chub were caught. Not a lot of fish for the effort, but great social.

Steve (Scuba) did a fantastic job with the BBQ and the organisation. We managed to raise over £270 for the Charity of Andy and BFW's choice.

It was very cold overnight down to -7!! and some of those that slept out were frozen to the ground in the morning.

I left before many had actually risen (about 11am!) but the fishing was going to be tough.........Fanatastic to see so many contribute and attend and shame some could not make it but were there in thought and donations.

Sure others will put a bit up when thawed out..................I will put together a story with many of the details and stories later (after hospital visit tomorrow )

Can anyone with any pics taken (that are not damming evidence) email to me via anglingexperiences@btinternet.com

Graham

Thanks

Graham...hope everything is ok on the home front.
Great to see you yesterday.
Rich.:)

Graham, hope all is well.
A good day yesterday which was enjoyed by all, still kicking myself for missing a 3ft twitch though.

Jez

Great evening really enjoyed myself. Who cares about the fishing, great company well organized many thanks to all involved.:)

Had a great time, most enjoyable blank for a while! Good to put names to faces, thanks to all involved, looking forward to the next one. Hopefully with more fish.:)

It was a blast lads.... sod the fishing next time, lets just have a bbq and the pub.
Assuming they will let us back in.

Highlight of the pub was Andy F (wasted), lying on the floor on his back showing us all how he keeps getting killed on COD2.... the look on the barmaids faces was priceless:D:D:D:D:D

Great to see a few old faces (including a surprise visit from Jim (Bewdley) Collins:)), and meet a few new ones.....Not forgot the promise about a boat trip Phil;)

Happy to have another on there a little earlier in the season next time, but I'm sure Andy F mentioned about a BA one......:eek:;):cool:

Well done to those who actually bothered to fish and a bigger well done to those that caught.

Crooky.... bet you wish you hadn't moved.....LOL:D

On a more serious note, Graham, I hope all is well with you and yours......

Steve

Last edited:
Will pick it up early tomorrow afternoon, mrs booked badminton for me and Matt this morning.

Thanks all for a really enjoyable weekend. It was good to put names to faces, even though I am fast forgetting who was who now.

Brilliant job done by Graham and Steve. Thanks Steve for being a fantastic host, absolute legend mate and for putting us on those swims and thanks to Ian for prebaiting for me! Hit a snag on my first cast and caught my little scrapper on the second.

I remember in the pub Graham helping to keep up the norf saaf divide, very funny. Looking forward to the next one.

Attachments

• bfwbarb.jpg
    bfwbarb.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 241
Glad to see i was not the only one suffering on sunday :((mr f) but really enjoyed the social.
Many thanks to all the lads that run the event will look forward to the next one :)

Scuba, next time you say "try that swim there Crooky", I will stay there all day!!!

I still have a headache!!

Back