• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Digital scales

I would avoid digital scales , there have been previous threads on this subject and many have experienced problems with electronic scales , I would go with reubon heaton dial scales or avons , avoid the reubon heaton mk2 flyweights, I bought 2 sets , small and compact they may be , accurate they certainly weren't ....

The Avon Scale Company used to be in Edmonton, North London. They used to service and supply high resolution weighing equipment, which I sold at the time, and manufactured the fishing scales on site. I believe that Tony Cross, the chap I dealt with was an angler himself. Long gone now I’m afraid, I tried to find them myself a few years back to get my Avons serviced. Mine were bought for me by my Mum for my 16th birthday, she paid £5-19-6d in 1969 ! They still weigh within an ounce of my digitals and I’ll be taking them to The Tenchfishers AGM for a weigh check. I’ve always kept them in a case and with a silica gel bag to keep moisture at bay.
Yes my first set (late 70's) weighed up to 32 lb. I forget what happened to them. My current set (2nd hand) weigh up to 40 lb. I know that there's a scale checking service at the Barbel and Tenchfisher conferences for a nominal fee 👍.

Anyway apologies for being off post. But probably being the age that I am, I much prefer dial over digital.

Last edited:
Flyweights are total s***.

My first set lasted many years. The replacement has pretty much broken within 3 months. Not very impressed at all.

I’d like a set of the Reuben heaton specimens 30lb x 1oz but they’re beyond my means at the moment. Then I’d ‘need’ another set anyway for the possibility of a 30+ carp.

There’s something appealing about the digis but the needle of the dial spinning round feels like it is engrained in my experience of fishing.

I’ve got the Berkeley pocket set and there bang on
Interesting video David,… I brought the RH 7000’s not long after they were released some years ago.
Tbh they just sit in a drawer along with the additional large T bar and pouch,.. almost pristine except the battery has probably leaked by now.
I’m a dinosaur and prefer my old Avons if I weigh the occasional fish,.. possibly because I was always afraid of the batteries running out and forgetting the spare and screwdriver or perhaps fear of getting them wet.
I’d happily swap for some new Avons if they still made them,.. they weren’t perfect,… couldn’t zero big weigh slings for instance but they didn’t need batteries.🙂

Last time I used my Avons it was peeing down, late at night. My pal and I just couldn't read the damn things with the rain and reflections from our head lamps.
So invested in some RH 9000s and not looked back since. Easy to read, no bouncing about trying to zero, smaller and lighter. I just regularly check battery condition to ensure no leakage.

I've got the berkely digi, third from the right on the above image. Seems to be decent, turns itself off. Don't weigh everything and never chub, so batteries should last tbh.

Bought some Korum ones last week as my other non digital ones broke, the Korum LED doesn't display the numbers correctly so they are going back !

Last time I used my Avons it was peeing down, late at night. My pal and I just couldn't read the damn things with the rain and reflections from our head lamps.
So invested in some RH 9000s and not looked back since. Easy to read, no bouncing about trying to zero, smaller and lighter. I just regularly check battery condition to ensure no leakage.
I had a set of 9000’s
They didn’t like the cold.

Bought some Korum ones last week as my other non digital ones broke, the Korum LED doesn't display the numbers correctly so they are going back !

These days it seems like playing lucky dipp when you buy something, the quality control seems to be non existant.
Even expensive items are hit and miss, and for the biggest part there is little or no customer service.
When I buy something through the post I know when I open the package that it's at least 50/50 wether the item will have to be sent back!

I had a set of 9000’s
They didn’t like the cold.
Mine have been fine. Ok, in the cold where they weigh 1lb heavier which is a bonus :D

Noooo, seriously, no problem.

Having said that, the printed circuit board is poor quality (I worked in the electronics field for 40 years and know about PCBs). When batteries leaked the PCB was damaged and it took some effort to repair it, but otherwise I wouldn't have an issue with them.

I'm sure digitals are accurate when new. It's just their reputation for reliability that I have a problem with. I wouldn't want to be in a position, on a wet night, in a remote location, beset by problems weighing a fish of a lifetime. Wet, damp cold environments are not good for electronic items. I'll be sticking with dial scales.

I'm sure digitals are accurate when new. It's just their reputation for reliability that I have a problem with. I wouldn't want to be in a position, on a wet night, in a remote location, beset by problems weighing a fish of a lifetime. Wet, damp cold environments are not good for electronic items. I'll be sticking with dial scales.

Temperature variations and dampness also affects mechanical/dial scales.

I have had a couple of sets of RH9000s for quite a few years. Until recently, I've had no problem with them. However, one set has been a little dicey in the last month or two. Still functional and accurate but the LCD is slowly deteriorating.

I've gone for a set of Salter Brecknell Electro Samsons to replace them. I've rarely seen comments about them amongst anglers. However, the few I have seen are usually very positive.
https://www.daltonengineering.co.uk.../products/electro-samson-bird-weighing-scales

Back