• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Chair modifications.

Mike Thompson

Senior Member & Supporter
I sustained a back injury a month ago which meant no driving for two weeks and no fishing for over three. Sitting was more comfortable on a dining chair than on a soft sofa.
So the Korum Aeronium was put back in the garage, always was too low, and out came my trusted old JRC x-lite. Trouble was the front legs sometimes didn't properly lock and you would end up with that sinking feeling. Spoke to Kevin at www.kpspares.co.uk who could provide me with new parts and reasonable prices, but he told me to pull the leg out and turn the locking lever over. A fix at no cost, great.
But when removing the legs I realised they did not go the full length into the frame, so the seat could accommodate longer legs. So ordered 2 x 500mm x20mm o.d. x 1.5mm wall aluminium tube from www.metalsshop.co.uk for less than a tenner including delivery.
An hour in the garage and I now have a seat with a much improved height range.
I can recommend both the above companies. IMG_20200930_1433258_rewind.jpg

I sustained a back injury a month ago which meant no driving for two weeks and no fishing for over three. Sitting was more comfortable on a dining chair than on a soft sofa.
So the Korum Aeronium was put back in the garage, always was too low, and out came my trusted old JRC x-lite. Trouble was the front legs sometimes didn't properly lock and you would end up with that sinking feeling. Spoke to Kevin at www.kpspares.co.uk who could provide me with new parts and reasonable prices, but he told me to pull the leg out and turn the locking lever over. A fix at no cost, great.
But when removing the legs I realised they did not go the full length into the frame, so the seat could accommodate longer legs. So ordered 2 x 500mm x20mm o.d. x 1.5mm wall aluminium tube from www.metalsshop.co.uk for less than a tenner including delivery.
An hour in the garage and I now have a seat with a much improved height range.
I can recommend both the above companies.View attachment 12389
does it still fold up ok with the longer legs ?

Yes Gerry, the rear legs need to be 240mm so the mud feet do not obstruct the folding of the front legs, but the fronts are fine at 250mm. I can now have the seat height at 500mm on level ground and still have about 60mm inside the tube for safety. It's also better getting the seat level on steep banks.

I did the same Mike, using thicker walled aluminium tube than standard, as I was concerned about legs bending if extended further than legs were designed for (posted about it, maybe end of close season?). Worked great, used the chair for ~40 sessions since. All good.

Yes Gerry, the rear legs need to be 240mm so the mud feet do not obstruct the folding of the front legs, but the fronts are fine at 250mm. I can now have the seat height at 500mm on level ground and still have about 60mm inside the tube for safety. It's also better getting the seat level on steep banks.
thanks very much I have sent them a email big smile !

Back