• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Casting/fishing up river

Jim - another question; when you say you feather the back lead down once your rig is in the water, how far from your lead does your back lead usually end up? I mean, can you cast mid river and have your backlead just a couple of rods out, or under your rod tip?
I try to bounce it out to where i think i'm on the same ish depth as the end rig, or failing that up to just past the inside crease, then most of the mainline is out of the main flow, no pressure on the rod , when you fish a river with water on most of the " push" of water is surface to middle depth, if you fish a river with a fairly flat bottom you dont need to bounce it out as far, to me its about keeping my mainline out of sight and away from the hooklength so i try to pin it along as much of the river bed as poss, its now second nature to my fishing, iv'e been doing this for 15+ years now, but its not for everyone, and some might not agree, but for me it catches more than not doing it,
Regards

Upstreaming is in my opinion a method of fishing all on its own. It then splits into two completely different methods again depending on whether your fishing high or low water. In low water I use a completely free running quite heavy lead. The reason being you can encourage a take to work in both directions really elaborating the bite.

The fish takes the bait and initially no matter which way it swims the line will pull freely through the swivel and create a forward pull on the tip. The lead then dislodges and the tip springs back. this forward and spring back motion is continuous as the fish is bolting down stream. You tighten up the line until you feel pressure, rod pointing at the fish and lift into it.

In high water I use a safe fixed lead. Longer bow in the line to take the pressure off the lead. This long bow has your tip actually bending down stream despite the fact your fishing upstream.

Fish takes bait and instantly dislodges lead. Rod bounces straight, heavy flow picks up the slack in a split second and pulls the rod back into a bend. This spring and bend is also a continuous movement clearly indicating a full take. Same rules apply, wind in the slack point rod at fish and lift into it.

What doesn’t work as effectively is a very light fixed lead in a low slow river. In this case especially at night you might not see the single drop back or the line go slack and the fish can charge down stream into a snag and you could easily miss it.

If it’s very low and a slow pace you must use a decent weight and it must be completely free running for perfect indication on a rod tip.

Back leads I don’t use. The river I fish makes them very difficult in particularly in summer. I do like to pin my line afew feet behind the Lead but with a heavy Olivette or like. If that’s not possible then I’m not worried about using hook lengths of 4 feet or more. It seems to work to the same effectiveness as I occasionally catch the odd one or two decent ones on a difficult river.

Thanks for all the replies guys, so far, ive learnt, river dependant, use a heavier free running lead, and lift rather than strike up or down river. Also to try a very short coated braid hooklenght of 6" or so on rocky bottoms, or upto 4ft on flat bottoms. Still can,t grasp the idea of a backlead. If for say, im using a 3oz main lead or feeder, and after casting, i slip a backlead on to the line above the tip ring, and try and wiggle it down towards my main lead, will it not be suspended off the deck if im using a float stop etc, if not, won,t it just slide all the way down to my main lead ?

Thanks for all the replies guys, so far, ive learnt, river dependant, use a heavier free running lead, and lift rather than strike up or down river. Also to try a very short coated braid hooklenght of 6" or so on rocky bottoms, or upto 4ft on flat bottoms. Still can,t grasp the idea of a backlead. If for say, im using a 3oz main lead or feeder, and after casting, i slip a backlead on to the line above the tip ring, and try and wiggle it down towards my main lead, will it not be suspended off the deck if im using a float stop etc, if not, won,t it just slide all the way down to my main lead ?
Don’t know why you want a float stop behind your main lead. You need to try the back lead and it makes sense. You can send them all the way to the main lead but you don’t. You send them down the Line to where you want them to sit then you drop the rod tip and let them sink In position. You can effectively put them as far out as you want, it’s very easy but don’t over think about it just try it then it will click.
Personally I prefer something semi fixed on the line which works better for me on these smaller slower snaggy rivers. Do what works for you.

Back