• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Big fish from the Cherwell

Alex Gowney

Senior Member & Supporter
I see on FB a 13.12 has been caught on the Cherwell. This is very much a rarity on the severely declined river these days, and there's a possibility it's the same fish that claimed the river record a few years ago at 15.8 (?). Anyone else hear about this?

I saw that as well, and it is from one of my club water! It’s a big news to us. Since Cherwell is local to me, I do fish it regularly, and tbh, I haven’t heard a barbel been caught in last 5 years ish?

I believe it. I was tacking to a young lad who served me at McDonald's, Bicester. After seeing my gear in the car. He told me, he had 14lb barbel from the Cherwell. If you know where to go.

I believe it. I was tacking to a young lad who served me at McDonald's, Bicester. After seeing my gear in the car. He told me, he had 14lb barbel from the Cherwell. If you know where to go.
No case of disbelieving it, I could recognise the venue, even in the dark. Still a bit of a surprise though. It was never an easy river for barbel, at least it wasn't easy to pin them down, not difficult to catch once you did. A lot of the old venues just seem a bit devoid of fish now though, same with the chub. I think the river holds a few very big fish but stock density must be very low now.

Back