• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best Glug for Meat

Steve Walker

As per title,I have had some success with dynamite baits meaty fish bites but would like to do my own.......any recommendations?

Hi Steve, not so much a glug, but more of a coating/flavouring. I cut my meat into various size pieces, and place in a freezer bag, add the flavouring, and give a good shake to coat the meat( usually a strong curry powder ), and pop into the freezer until needed. I take it out the night before i'm going fishing, as it thaws, the flavours are absorbed into the meat. The other thing i do, is to add a little oil to a pan, and heat gently, add any flavours you want, again, my fav is curry powder, then fry the meat. This helps form a tougher skin on the meat, which helps casting when aiming for the far bank. :) Others probably have their own methods. :) Ive heard that Marmite makes an excellent glug, but never tried it myself, maybe i should :). Good luck, and just experiment. :)

Thanks for the replies,I have also used flavourings and the freezer bag method but I was thinking more of an oily type glug similar to the meaty fish bites made by dynamite baits.Barbel love these and I would like to make my own with a similar oil mainly to have different sizes available for the hookbait,a bonus is that it will also be a lot cheaper,the meaty fish bites are £4.99 for a small pot of 12mm hookbaits.

Primula cheese in the tube has done well for me on the trent.

Wow!!! Can the barbel actually screw the little cap off. :D;):D Sorry Jeff :eek:

Steve, i would try marmite coated meat, i'd still use the bag/freezer method to get the meat to really absorb the flavour.

Or, what about saving the juices from your next Sunday roast, store in a jar with some of your baits. :)

When you used to get loads of oil in the meaty bites tin, used to soak luncheon meat and meatballs in the oil. Worked quite well.
Still got some old tins of MB's and some of the old oil which I froze.
I used to sprinkle trout pellet dust and other powders on the oily balls!
The new fishy meaty bites smell different to the old ones and you get a lot less oil.

Ben, Marmite is excellent. Have done well in past winters using it as a dip. Don't restrict its use with meat either.

Wow!!! Can the barbel actually screw the little cap off. :D;):D Sorry Jeff :eek:

Steve, i would try marmite coated meat, i'd still use the bag/freezer method to get the meat to really absorb the flavour.

Or, what about saving the juices from your next Sunday roast, store in a jar with some of your baits. :)

No Derek they don't have the thumbs :D

It's best squeezed into a tub and used as a type of paste.

Back