• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Beavers

I have never really thought that beavers actually created a pleasant angling environment, but they do , as far as I can understand, help stop flooding by holding back any sudden influx of floodwater , which is no bad thing , plus by their activities they do encourage biodiversity.
Beaver dams and the resulting change to the countryside that they create to my mind is not at all pleasant to the eye, looking more like flood debris and a disaster zone than anything else.
They are cute animals though . So pluses and minuses in equal measure.
David

I fish a river occasionally that has plenty, and most times I'll see some.
I really like them, very chilled out creatures!

The incredible work of our wild beavers.

I don't know if you were aware but a 5-year beaver trial is now underway at Hatchmere by the Cheshire Wildlife Trust.

Beavers to return to Cheshire after almost 500 years - BBC News

There is also the distinct possibility that another trial might be taking place in Cheshire in the near future - watch this space!

There are pro's and con's but the more we understand their habits, and the more research that comes out, the pro's unequivocally outweigh the con's, particularly when you look at the big picture.

The description of beavers as 'ecosystem engineers' and a 'keystone species' is no overstatement. Their dams create pools and riffles and important variations in flow, as well as increasing important deadwood for invertebrates. Their coppicing can increase light levels improve the biodiversity of the riparian zone - lots of knock on benefits for birds and butterflies.

We need to better understand how to manage potential conflicts between beavers and localised land use, and beavers aren't the panacea to all the issue facing our rivers, but they do offer enormous benefits. The work that comes out on the benefits they offer, the more utterly foolish the Angling Trust look for their anti-beaver stance back in 2014.

Not sure of the correct numbers across the UK but a large number of Beaver culling has taken place across the UK since their introduction. 87 on Tayside alone which is 1/5 of the total reintroduced in that area alone. Big grants are being given out to re establish them and Wildlife trusts have been going a bit over the top with the numbers. Plenty of positive stuff being kicked out by the trusts that benefit from the cash being dished out but very little from the poor farmers whose land ends up under water and having to sort out all the mess. Sadly like a lot of reintroduced species no British predator so no natural control. Small numbers in very selective areas yes but recently I was asked what I thought about them on the Colne.

Not sure of the correct numbers across the UK but a large number of Beaver culling has taken place across the UK since their introduction. 87 on Tayside alone which is 1/5 of the total reintroduced in that area alone. Big grants are being given out to re establish them and Wildlife trusts have been going a bit over the top with the numbers. Plenty of positive stuff being kicked out by the trusts that benefit from the cash being dished out but very little from the poor farmers whose land ends up under water and having to sort out all the mess. Sadly like a lot of reintroduced species no British predator so no natural control. Small numbers in very selective areas yes but recently I was asked what I thought about them on the Colne.

Mark - much of the evidence collected thus far, by hydrologists, indicates that beavers can reduce the risk flooding by slowing the flow in headwaters and thus reducing peak flows. Obviously some beaver dams may cause localised flooding in some areas, working out how to deal with those conflicts is all part of the trial process. TBH overstocking with sheep in the uplands and poor soil management practices causes far more flooding of farmland then beavers have the potential to do.

At the end of the day we the taxpayer, pay farmers 3.2bn a year in subsidies and they get around 2.5bn a year in tax breaks, they can't have it all their own way. If beaver dams can reduce the extent of flooding in towns or help improve water quality then the potential economic benefits are huge and the benefits to society far outweigh the loss of a few acres of potatoes here and there. But in all honestly, I'm hearing plenty of positives about beavers from enlightened farmers and landowners.

Back