• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel Travel rod

James Hinley

Im after a rod to stay in my car for those times when im on the road (on the way back from work!).

A couple ive noticed are the JW Youngs Travel Barbel 5-piece and the Rovex John Wilson Signature Barbel Travel Quiver.

Has anybody used either of these rods that could give their views on them? Or if you have any alternatives, let me know.

Budget is probably around th £60 mark...

Hi James,
i have a four piece Harrison Advanced Avon, it really is a great bit of kit, i have had this for sometime now, i purchased this from Davis Tackle, but it will be out of your price range, so if you do decide to splash out, have a look at one, it's finished in matt black and is about 1.8 test curve.
It has tamed many of those Teme Tigers that do like to put a big bend in a rod.
Brian.
ps.....it did cost me about £150 some years ago.......sorry mate i have just checked out the Davis Tackle website, they are now £189.

Last edited:
Blimey, that bit of kit sounds nice! Bit out of my price range unforteunately

The Harrison Sullis looks very nice.....hmmm can i stretch the budget

Don't think you need a a 5 piece rod or even 4 piece. Take a look at your car boot and I think you will find a 12ft rod in three sections will easily fit.

Greys do three piece rods but going to be over budget unless you can pick up a used one. One on ebay at the moment GREYS BARBEL PRODIGY 1.5LB ROD (posted or pick up York) 3-PIECE TWIN TIP

Not sure if they include a protective tube but you could always get a piece of drain pipe as it is surprisingly easy to forget it is in the boot when they break down small.

fox bob james did one, apparently it's a great rod for all year round use.

Hi again James,
when you do purchase a travel rod, please be aware that there may be times when you would require it to be made up, if you buy a four piece, when this is made up it will fit into your quiver when it is broken down into two sections.
Brian.

A good point Brian.

Cheers Gents, i'll have a look into it. John, your correct, a 3 piece would fit nicely, (and yes i would need to commandeer a protective tube as im an expert and breaking things).

Not sure what to go for now :confused: I'll have a browse on some of the reviews

Back