• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

An alternative viewpoint?

Keith,

What a fantastic and inspiring post.

Well done on having such a great season and thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas. I'm sure many in your position wouldn't have gone to the trouble and would have just continued to enjoy their success quietly - it's a credit to you that you haven't.

Stu

Great fish.
I have caught many Barbel on the float and often it is the most productive method. I do feel that Barbel take a moving bait when they may not be actively feeding...maggots often seem to get them going. However I have always tended to catch more fish, but a smaller average size.
Lighter tackle with a decent float rod is fine for big fish. A decent float rod (I use a Tench float rod as well) especially with a centerpin will handle a big fish without stressing it any more than heavy tackle on a ledger rod IMO. I can certainly get a 6 lb Barbel safely to the bank with 6 lb line to a 5 lb bottom as quickly as I could with far heavier line on a heavier rod...and I am no master of the art!
Fish on the float during the day and switch to a ledger for the last few hours can give you a good days sport with the biggest fish coming at the end of the day. Whether this is just the change of tactics or due to the fact that the bigger ones wait until it goes dark or just like the bigger baits I tend to use when ledgering I don't know. But it seems to work.

Keith,
You do yourself down mate, to consitently catch your chosen quarry in conditions that saw most consistanly blanking ....... like me !! takes a master of his art, you go ahead and blow your trumpet mate, the tune sounds good to me. :)

Ian

Hi men ,

Keith, why you thought you would get some stick over such a nice post , I dont know why ?. In the autumn ,Me and my son stod on the bank of the Kennet watching a few barbel munching on mini pellet/ hemp combo we had put in the swim . He turned to me and said a maggot bait run through on the float would nail them :D, this from someone just starting out barbel angling .

Nice post mate. Hatter

Ian/Chris

Like with any angling there are several aspects that you need to get right, first off you need to know you have fish in the swim, might seem obvious but guessing that Barbel are there is not as good as knowing Barbel are there and there is no substitute for good old fashioned watercraft.

The second thing that you need to get right is the presentation, not as important as location, we have all seen Barbel searching out bait on the bottom, I watched a fish several years ago nosing a house brick off the bottom because it thought there were maggots under it, when fish are feeding that well, bait presentation may not be so important, but you can not always be sure just how well they are feeding, so getting the bait to pass through the swim in as natural a way as possible is quite important

But I think the most important part of my fishing this year has been all about how to feed, getting this right is the key, but the problem with this is, that the right amount of feed changes from day to day!

Typically for a Summer /Autumn day I take Two pints of Casters, Two pints Maggots (Red/White mixed), 6 pints of the large Hemp seed and a shelf life pack of black dyed Tares..
This seems quite a bait bill but if you are smart the cost is not that expensive.
I buy Hemp from a seed merchant in 25kg sacks, good housekeeping ensures that un-used Hemp goes in the freezer and is used next trip out, so I never waste any.
Caster has to be used as they won’t keep, but Maggot will keep in a second hand fridge and if you are smart they can become Caster in 3 weeks time.
If you get into a situation where you have to use it all, well that probably means you have had a good day and the bill won’t matter!

Winter time, for Barbel I don’t bother with the Caster, while it makes a difference in warm water, the first frosts in November seem to negate any advantage Caster has.
I also cut down the hemp to about two pints but in cold water I cut down the usage a lot, in very cold water all the Hemp tends to go home with me, the only constant is the Maggots, but as a rule of thumb the colder the water the less you use, so this winter my bait bills have been very affordable!

The main tip I would pass on is that you need to feed regularly, in summer I start off with 10 grains of Hemp twice a trot and about six to ten casters twice a trot, if for any reason you think most of your loose feed is being taken before the getting to the bottom, change the feed pattern and increase it, if you have to, then use a dropper, but I must admit for me the trick is getting bait constantly going past their noses, if you get this right the Barbel WILL start to take the odd grain or Maggot, they simply cannot help themselves, when that happens you are in business.
The more they compete the more likely they are to take your hookbait!
One important tip that the Match boys will know, when you hook a fish hit he swim with a big load of feed, it is not surprising how a hooked fish will spook others but it is surprising just how gullible they are, the fish see a hooked fish going nuts, then they see a big dose of Maggot and just assume the hooked fish is on a feeding frenzy and carry on chomping!

You have to fish specifically for Barbel, you will catch other fish by accident, but to catch Barbel you have to have your Barbel head on, if you want to catch Chub then the feed pattern needs to change, I tend to feed more heavily for Barbel than Chub and also on smaller rivers you tend to find the Barbel in the deepest part of the swim, where as Chub tend to hug reeds and specific features.
The Barbel may be in the features to start with but get the feed pattern right and you will draw them out.
I always decide before I fish, where I want to catch my fish, for example I sit on my Box (I can’t be a proper Barbel angler I’ve got a Seat Box) and watch the swim, I decide where the current goes, what the cross section of the river is and most important of all, where my bait will end up, it does not get washed away and not all of it gets eaten, so decide where it is going to end up and ensure this is also where you wish to catch your fish.
I also decide where this zone is on the basis of where the fish will go when hooked and where I am going to let it get to while I play it!
Computers often work on the basis of a default option, this is deciding upon doing a certain thing in a certain way beforehand, because when you don’t have time to think, you don’t want to HAVE to think!!
If you already know some of the answers you stand much more chance of landing the very big fish when it happens.

The most important point is keeping the feed going, regularly and monotonously, if you make your bait seem as normal and natural as the weed or stones on the bottom the fish will loose all inhibitions and set about your bait with gusto.

Fishing this way is bloody hard work, I am quite glad the season is over in a way, as I don’t think my feeding arm could take another session, Tennis elbow is not funny!
Some days I fish for one or two bites, the difference is that every fish I have taken this year has been in daylight and that in it ‘self is a delight.

As to, will this work on northern rivers or southern rivers or whatever? I think the answer is yes, why not? It has worked for me on the Hants Avon, The Teme, The Severn (Dave Harrel won a shed load of matches on the float on The Severn), The Wye and The Lugg and Barbel have not changed that much, the thing that has changed over the years is how we are directed to fish by those that have a self interest (the bait makers won’t like me), the fact is there is an alternative to a paste wrapped boilie fished at midnight.

Mind you I do have a pair of perfectly good Barbel rods and Reels that did not get used once last term and may not see an outing next term either, I suspect I will keep them to hand, just in case!!

Last edited:
Nice reply Keith! Will the banks next season be full of over expensive float rods and shiny pins?:D I for one will be giving it a go I expect many others will be inspired to have a bash as well.

Works a treat on the Yorkshire rivers Keith, spent many happy hours catching them on the Wharfe like that.

Hopefully more will give it a go after reading your fine piece.

That tip about sticking in the bait after catching one is one I am going to follow next season. Seen match boys doing it in the past, never really had the reasoning explained..but your suggestion really makes sense.
The big bait manufacturers may hate you, but the small maggot farmers and the local angling shops may well thank you for this, so you will do them a favour. I ay be able to get some decent prices for some of the older float rods I have lieing around on e bay and light weight 12 ft Avons which can at a push trot a heavy float and throw out a swimfeeder later on may become a big seller!

At the back end of last season I spent a day on the Wensum with John Bailey, I was fishing for barbel with boilies, he was trotting for roach with maggots. I watched him accidentally hook (although lose) two different big barbel, one of which was an upper double, probably 16, that only came off as he was reaching for the net. I didnt get a bite. Realistically he would have been lucky to land either fish on a 2.5lb bottom and 18 hook, as he was not fishign for them, but it was very eye opening at one stage to see a group of barbel, one of which could have been pushing 20lb at the time, going absolutely nuts for maggots in a shallow fast glide, flashing and turning, bashing up the gravel to get at the grubs! He left the shoal for me, and I put a boilie over them at dusk and sat for 30 minutes watching savage liners, still no take! Wished ive put some grubs on in retrospect! I dont think that trotting will help us locate ever decreasing numbers of big barbel in low stock southern rivers (I subsequently tried it on the Loddon!), but there is no doubt it is a devasting method if on the fish in the day time.

16 and 20 bejesus!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I would have seen fish of that stamp I would still be there now waiting!!!!

Probably all known fish, but unfortunately all private stretches and I dont get invited very often, otherwise as you say I would probably still be there now!

Keith great post and a great thread. You know from our PMs that you have already whetted my appetite. I'm going to have a go at first light on opening day :) You should put some tips together for us all. I'd be happy to give you a page on the blog, or better still do an article and publish it on here.

Inspiring stuff!

I love trotting, it's how I started as a young lad on the river Tees.

Hi Keith,

I have not been a member on this forum for very long, but judging by the levels of enthusiasm and down right excitement your inspirational post has generated, I am willing to bet that there has rarely if ever been another to equal it.

I join with the other posters in thanking you for awakening in us all the urge to set up a float rod and trundle a stick through a swim once again. I am not sure exactly what it was about your post...I am sure there have been many others in the past extolling the virtues of getting back to basics...but whatever it was fella, it was spot on. Good on ya mate.

For myself, it was at first tinged with a little sadness, because as a pensioner with extremely limited resources, the £15 to £20 your bait recommendations would cost (in my region at least) for a days fishing placed it way beyond my means. However, having given it a great deal of thought, I am now inspired to look for cheaper baits that might work equally as well for trotting. Can a hemp and stewed wheat combo be too far off the mark?

I can see loads of fun coming up on my 'find a cheap trotting bait' horizon :D

Thanks again Keith, bloody well done!

Cheers, Dave.

I think that the expression, what comes round goes round. I remember reading as a kid, a very long time ago, Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing - he used a very similar method. I've always found something fascinating about watching a float and played around with it a couple of years ago with limited success (chub only). I think that Pete Marshall's suggestion of float fishing and then perhaps changing to a ledgered boilie towards the latter part of the day a good proposition. On a slightly different note, I'd be interested to hear if any of the contributors have had any success with ledgered maggot for barbel - I haven't.

Back