• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A tragedy from the past.

Keith Speer

Like many members I have been keeping a keen eye open as events unfold regarding Steve Stringer, I hope this will end well, but time is passing and things look very bleak at the moment.

We all take risks when we fish, being alone on a river at night in inclement weather is perhaps not a rational act, but we love our sport and as such take these risks as part and parcel of what we do.

This is the story of a tragedy that affected me and is a lesson that all could benefit from.

On the 6th August 2003 I was woken at 5am when the bedside phone rang, the call was from the Police “Victim Support Unit†asking me to attend Windsor Racecourse, the caller said that my father who I knew to be fishing there, was “alright†but could I please come and collect him?
They would give no other information on the telephone!

When I arrived an hour later I found my father visibly shaken, he told me of events that happened in the night.

My friend Stan King was fishing the next peg up from my father, their intention was to fish all night, Stan was fishing with 2 new rods and reels, one of the reels I had bought for him as the tackle shop close to my work had one in stock and Stan could not find a shop that had a pair for him to buy.
It had been a warm evening, but as is often the case in August as the night wore on the temperature started to drop, at about 3am Stan had been down to see my father and had said he was going to put his “big coat†on as it had “gotten chillyâ€!
About half an hour later my dad heard Stan call out:-
“John I’ve gone in!â€.
My father was 82 at the time and quite un-able to rush up the bank, he did however see Stan in the river, dad called out:-
“Stan, swim toward my light!
He then saw Stan go under, he did not come up!

Unfortunately Stan had not been seen since that moment, the Police would not let me visit the scene at that time as they were waiting for a dive team so after I gave all the details I could of Stan’s near relatives (he was un-married and lived alone), I packed my dads gear and took him home to my house in St Albans, when I got home, I got a call again from the Police telling me that a body has been recovered from the river and could I go back for identification purposes.
Again I drove back to Windsor, where I was taken to a body covered with a plastic sheet, when they removed the cover I identified the body as being Stan King, a close friend of over 30 years!

I broke down and cried!

When I had recovered myself I had a good look at Stan, I noticed that there was a hook embedded in Stan’s moleskin trousers, Stan was a very particular man and would never have left a hook in the cloth, but would have taken the time to remove it without tearing the cloth.
I also noticed that his Derry boots and coat were missing, and the diver’s confirmed that a pair of boots and a coat had been recovered from the river.
I asked where they had recovered Stan from and was told that he had caught up on the bottom about 6-8 yards down from his seat on the inside line of the river .
I asked the diver’s where Stan’s tackle was, and was told that one rod was recovered from the river where it seemed that a small (about 3.5lb from the diver’s description) Barbel had dragged the rod in.
Stan’s other rod was just laying on the ground, I asked if it had been moved and the Police said it had been caught up in the Alder bushes beside his swim when they arrived, in fact one of the Police Officers had retrieved the rod which had been hooked on to “the bottomâ€, the Police officer had “pulled for the line to break†and laid the rod where I found it.

I reflected upon this many times before the inquest, when at the inquest I put forward the following theory of events to East Berkshire coroner Peter Bedford.

I theorised that Stan had put on his coat when he returned to his swim, it was late and Stan would have been warm and I thought he may well have fallen asleep or been dozing when his left hand upstream rod pulled round and bounced into the river, I suspect Stan went for his rod and took a step too far onto the gravel slope which was under water, the gravel gave way and Stan would have slipped into the river.
For reasons known only to Stan he then decided to remove his boots and coat, something that is difficult to do on the bank, but made more difficult when in the river.
He then swam downstream toward my fathers light and in doing so swam through the line of his second and right hand rod, in doing so embedded the hook in the shin area of his trousers.
Stan would then be trying to swim while attached to a rod which would have been caught by the reel in a Alder bush, the line was 12lb breaking strain.
I surmised that Stan had used so much energy removing his boots that he no longer had the strength to break the line and thus had finally been dragged under and drowned.
In fact the line had not been caught on the bottom, but had in fact been hooked into Stan’s trousers when the Police pulled for a break!

Peter Bedford stated that my theory of events was probably as close as we would ever get and recorded a verdict of accidental death.

My father was very badly affected by this tragedy, afterwards he went downhill and was never the same again, he died within 5 months!

The main lesson we should take from this is that IF you ever enter the water, you must consider yourself to be similar to a battery; you have a FINITE amount of energy, do not waste any of this energy doing things that are un-necessary like removing boots or coat, you can swim in boots, you can swim in a coat, you can even swim in chest waders, better still if you find yourself in a river, position yourself feet downstream and simply “scull†with your arms with the current, find the nearest easy spot on the near bank and use you energy to pull yourself out.

When you are in difficulty in a river, don’t waste energy, save all you can for saving your life.

Years ago I had to demonstrate how to save yourself while wearing chest waders, having fallen in the river (I think it was the Eden), I simply pointed my feet downstream, sculled down to a beach and once there rolled out of the river, lay on my back, pointed my feet at the sky to clear the water from the waders and stood up, Stan was there at the time, I just wished he had remembered what to do.

I still miss them both!

Thanks for sharing this, mate. Very touching but also very useful. Can you explain what you mean by 'scull' please?

Last edited:
Thanks for the story Keith. It was a sad loss for all concerned and as you rightly point out, an awful shock for your father. Perhaps the Angling trust/EA or some other body (or even a tackle manufacturer) should produce a short film about safety on riverbanks, incorporating the best practice available. Indeed, I'll start a thread asking for people's views on what we should all be doing.

Paul, back in my youth I did some white-water canoeing and their advice if you came out of your boat was to swim feet-first looking downstream (almost a sitting position)and do a double handed back-stroke. This would mean that you could see where you were heading, take the 'collisions' with rocks/boulders with your feet and scull (double-handed backstroke, but with your arms out to the side rather than behind your head) to manouvre yourself to a safe point. Overhanging trees were to be avoided at all cost as you can never tell what's under the water and the pressure can pin you against it, making it impossible to get out or worse.

Hi Keith, i remember you telling me about the going in incident when i was invited to the weekends fishing, it saddens me deeply and i think if its someone you know and like then the things even more intense, i have no doubt you remember Keith S untimely demise, i miss the chats ect i had with him at MAC so much and still wonder why it happened,
hope you an Mike are keeping well, are you still at the old workplace in middx?
if so next time i get down to see my sons i will ring you before the day and maybe enjoy one of your cuppas mate.

I remember reading about Keith Selleck many years ago, fishing can be a dangerous pastime if we are not careful.

I always let the wife know where i am going and when i am coming back. I also have given her a list of telephone numbers of everyone who will know where i am and how too find me should something happen. I am sure many of us do the same but those of you who do not, it might be worth thinking about compiling that list just in case.

Thanks for the story Keith. It was a sad loss for all concerned and as you rightly point out, an awful shock for your father. Perhaps the Angling trust/EA or some other body (or even a tackle manufacturer) should produce a short film about safety on riverbanks, incorporating the best practice available. Indeed, I'll start a thread asking for people's views on what we should all be doing.

Paul, back in my youth I did some white-water canoeing and their advice if you came out of your boat was to swim feet-first looking downstream (almost a sitting position)and do a double handed back-stroke. This would mean that you could see where you were heading, take the 'collisions' with rocks/boulders with your feet and scull (double-handed backstroke, but with your arms out to the side rather than behind your head) to manouvre yourself to a safe point. Overhanging trees were to be avoided at all cost as you can never tell what's under the water and the pressure can pin you against it, making it impossible to get out or worse.

Thanks Anthony. I think I get it, although if your feet are pointing downstream and youre swimming backstroke, doesn't that mean you are just swimming against the current?

I hope I never need to use this of course...

That's a very sad story Keith and one which we should all take heed of.

Your tips regarding what to do should you fall in are excellent and again, something to pay attention too.

I remember Hugh Faulkus demonstrating the same technique you speak of in that excellent programme Salmo the Leaper, unfortunately you tube have removed the video or I would have put up a link.

I remember reading about Keith Selleck many years ago, fishing can be a dangerous pastime if we are not careful.

I always let the wife know where i am going and when i am coming back. I also have given her a list of telephone numbers of everyone who will know where i am and how too find me should something happen. I am sure many of us do the same but those of you who do not, it might be worth thinking about compiling that list just in case.

My wife wouldn't usually have a clue where I was. Sometimes nobody does.

Odd how history repeats itself. I was on the Racecourse a few years back, fishing with my mate Wilko in the next swim down, I think I was fishing "Stan's" swim or one either side. My RH rod went in and I went after it. I was on the phone to Wilko at the time and he heard the splash. I scrabbled after the rod and each time I got close it went out of reach again until I was out of my depth and swimming. Fortunately it was a summer evening and still light and not cold and I was not wearing heavy stuff and managed to get back ashore. Wilko caught my line second cast and landed to approx 5lb barbel that had taken off with my rod. No harm done in the end but it could have been so different.
I received a rollocking from Mr Speer and Mr Wilson at the time and have no intention of repeating the episode.

This is a very sad story which must have been very distressing for you and in the light of recent events it is timely to be reminded of our safety on the bank.

Just last week I was out on my own with no one else around when I visited one of my productive swims which has a steepish bank. In the summer this is no problem but following recent rains it has got slippery so I stayed fairly high up the banks but then I hooked a fish. To land it I had to get closer to the bank and started slipping.

Afterwards I did think about the fact I was alone, my family would not know where I was and the possible consequences if I did fall in.

Who could we get to produce a short safety film? Perhaps the Angling Trust could get the ball rolling and seek sponsorship from tackle suppliers and manufacturers. After all once we have gone that is one less customer for them.

If I fish at Rutland Water or any other water supply reservoir in a boat I cannot even walk on the boat pontoon until I have put a life jacket on.

As Duncan said a timely reminder to us all.............
I had been fishing that swim all week and when I told Stan I was going sea fishing in Southwold the next day he asked if I minded him fishing the swim. I should has said yes.....
Keith spent a while trying to get hold of me to tell me but mobile reception in the area wasn't good. Wife and I drank a bottle of scotch that night as I was so upset. God only knows how Keith felt having to identify Stan.

Pleased your well John.

Mike

Thanks Anthony. I think I get it, although if your feet are pointing downstream and youre swimming backstroke, doesn't that mean you are just swimming against the current?

Paul, it is against the current, but it slows you down slightly and allows you to manouvre yourself. Obviously, sculling on one side pulls your body to that side and once at an angle to the flow you scull with all your might with both hands! It is akin to a ferry glide where the bow of the boat is pointing to one side of the current and enables you to cross quite a strong flow without losing too much ground (or none at all). Not being streamlined, an angler in the water is being swept downstream but the sculling enables you to swim for a safe spot (usually an eddy). However, unless you know where these are, it means you have to be on the lookout for such a place and anticipate your move. This has to be done without hesitation or you will be swept past.

The next time you visit your local haunts, have a look at the main flow and imagine being in it. If you were to fall in, where would you be able to get out? Now, think on, you haven't practised this, so where are the second, third and fourth exit points? Alternatively, and this would be recommended for summer conditions, low water and whilst accompanied by a friend, find a deepish spot, and enter the water. Try to climb out without assistance. Having experienced this, picture the scene in winter, with both a raging river of cold water and perhaps low light conditions (or even darkness) and you'll see the reasons why we have fatalities. We will never rule out all the factors that cause anglers to fall into the water, but we can raise awareness and hopefully reduce the likelihood of it happening.

Last edited:
Martin,
You are right it was for Salmo the Leaper!
I worked in Chubb’s of Edgware tackle and gun shop at the time (along with Keith Sellick or Bubbles as we knew him).
Hugh and Fred Buller (Chubb’s owner) were great friends, I remember Hugh telling us that he was going to be filmed jumping in a spate river, to demonstrate the correct way to “swim†and get out while using the minimum of energy??
We all thought he was mad because he had to be over 60 at that time!
Anyway Hugh did it and we saw the film, later Fred (I think it was him) convinced me to do the same thing at the Game fair or a County show (can’t remember which as we did a few), Bubbles was not a great swimmer, but I was a very strong swimmer, so I got the gig!!
I was a very strong swimmer because my old man had coached me for several years, when I was 9 I fell in the Thames in late February 1963, I was swept 250yards down river, somehow I grabbed and hung on to a branch hanging in the river and the old man pulled me out, I suffered from Hypothermia and was in hospital for several days, after that he made sure I could not only swim but could swim strongly!

Anyway I did the same demonstration as Hugh, basically you turn yourself in the water into a sitting position and manoeuvre until your feet are pointing down stream, you then move your arms back with palms horizontal and then thrust them forward towards your feet with palms vertical, it does not have to be vigorous as you are not trying to go upstream, you do it just enough so that your feet (and therefore your head) are pointing downstream, it takes very little energy to do this.
What this means is that you get a good view of the river downstream and are able to make a quality decision as to where you intend to approach the bank.
The best thing to do is use the power of the river, don’t fight against it (it uses far too much energy), when you have decided upon your landing spot, simply “scull†harder with the arm away from the bank and you will find it quite easy to position your self upstream of your landing spot.
If your landing spot is a beach or shallow area, your bum will hit bottom first, then don’t try and get up, simply roll up on to the shallows to an area that is away from the water or slippery surface, lay on your back, get your breath and let the water drain from your clothes, if you are wearing waders point them at the sky to empty them and then get up.
Remember you will be low on energy and probably in shock so your arms and legs will not work as well as normal, it is for this reason you roll to a non slip area, after all you don’t want to go back in again!
If there are no shallows pick a spot where the climb from the river is the least arduous, but remember when you start to climb out, breath deeply, choose footing and hand hold with care, be slow and deliberate and try very hard not to do the same thing twice as this will waste energy, lack of energy will kill you as sure as drowning will!

Paul,
I hope this explains what I mean, to be fair I would be happy to do a demonstration film of this, if it helps save lives, - actually I might mention this to the producers of “Tight Linesâ€!!

Might prefer to do it in warmer water though!!:eek:

John,
I too wonder just what happened to Bubbles, I know he was not a great swimmer, I took him down the pool several times to try and improve his swimming, but being Bubbles he was always more interested in the bathing lovelies.
He and I had a small boat that we used on the Thames, one night we capsized it and I had to help drag him out!
I then had to go back out and duck down into 6ft of water for our gear, I gave him a right bollo………..talking to, but he still would not practice his swimming, I wish I had tried harder, I never really thought it would cost him his life!

Looking back, we had some great times, Stan, Bubbles and I fished together for several years, Stan being a bit older had a car (a Beetle) we went everywhere together, three of us plus tackle in a Beetle (no small feat), we went to the Avon, the Kennet, Upper Thames and lakes all over the place plus the south coast for Codding!

It is just so terrible to think that both my companions would end up drowning while doing the sport they loved!

So it is no wonder that Mike and I gave you some bifters when you went in Mr Griz (Phil Adams), we much prefer you safe and on the bank taking the music world by storm!!:D:D:D

Hello Mike, yes still alive and kicking even though the hospital doctor told the wife i wouldnt see the night through:eek:
what the gout was (i was told it was gout) was a massive buildup of fluid in my feet and legs, this suddenly rushed up into my chest and caused a body shut down, the doc in charge just stopped all medication and fluid or food for 2 1/2 -3 weeks! i just assume that they kept me alive with oxygen so they could eventually use me body parts:(
anyway i suddenly stopped being comotose and was up and about so quick i was out of there within a week of coming too, only effects were i lost 3 1/2 stone in 3 weeks, the doc now calls me his miracle man, my reaction was to immediately make sure anytime in future me body bits stay intact in my body and not used, jeez the thought of that scared me much more than my uncocious dreams of going back about 200/300 years ago, i come from generations of seafaring family back in greenock, serving on war ships, anyway am now better than ever and thanks for asking:):):)

A sobering thread but a timely reminder for us all with the banks now becoming slippery and the water cold.

Stephen

Keith, that's absolutely crystal clear now. I hope I, or anybody else, never needs to use the advice, but should the worse happen, that post could save a life. If anything good comes from this recent tragedy, we anglers owe it to our families to educate ourselves.

Thanks so much.

Some great advice on this thread. One thing I would add in terms of safety is around landing net handle length. I use a 13 foot handle (Milo Chromium F1) which is brilliant for barbel fishing with a largish spoon net and means that on high / slippery banks I can almost always net my fish from well back behind the edge of the bank, without having to lean precariously over the water's edge.

QUOTE Keith speer . #John,
I too wonder just what happened to Bubbles, I know he was not a great swimmer, I took him down the pool several times to try and improve his swimming, but being Bubbles he was always more interested in the bathing [/QUOTE keith speer]#

Hi Keith,back in the day i worked with Clive Rigby,brother of the other lad that drowned along with Keith sellick. I was also a Ruislip angling club member and middlesex angling centre regular.Clive attended the coroners hearing,he told me that after they all went into the water from the punt, his brother got into difficulties and Keith who had got to the bank went back to try to help him,the others had reached safety.They then think he had a heart attack/seizure, due to the cold water temperature and they both went under.Its a long time ago and i think the facts are correct as i was told. Because we were match anglers ,Keith used to show us all of his secret carp rigs,the Line aligner is one i still use,another sad loss

Last edited:
Back