• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Daiwa Theory 1.75tc

Yes.. i have one. very slim and lightweight, use it on the wye at normal levels..
lovely action, bends nicely with power lower down, thinking of getting the 2.25 as well for when she's pushing through a bit..

Diawa Theory Barbel Rod

Hi Paul, I have got the Diawa Theory 12ft 2.25 test curve rod, Its a very small dia blank but very powerfull and will stop and land a big Barbel. They come with a standard tip and a 4oz Quiver tip. Picked mine up on Ebay for £83. I can only say good things about this rod. I would say the 1.75 t/c would be ideal for the Mole or the 2.25 t/c in flood water conditions.

Regards Ray Thorpe

I've got the 2.25 twilight's and they are great rods , got them 2nd hand off a mate and cast 8oz easy but got lovely playing action

Hi Paul, I have got the Diawa Theory 12ft 2.25 test curve rod, Its a very small dia blank but very powerfull and will stop and land a big Barbel. They come with a standard tip and a 4oz Quiver tip. Picked mine up on Ebay for £83. I can only say good things about this rod. I would say the 1.75 t/c would be ideal for the Mole or the 2.25 t/c in flood water conditions.

Regards Ray Thorpe

Ray,

How does a "powerful" rod stop a Barbel better than a less powerful rod?

Ray,

How does a "powerful" rod stop a Barbel better than a less powerful rod?

The generally held view appears to be that a higher test curve rod is seen as being harder to bend than a lower TC model therefore it has more'' stopping power'' and slows the fish down / tires it out quicker . Not saying I suscribe to this theory , because I don't , but that appears to be the reasoning adopted by many anglers . I reckon the stopping power is equally dictated by how tight your clutch is set , or how hard you clamp down on your trusty Allcocks Ariel

Firstly let me make it clear that the following relates to “stopping power†and not casting feeders or any other part of the fish playing process.

Angler No1 has a 12’ rod that has a test curve so high that it does not bend at all. Angler No2 has a rod pointed straight at the fish and has his hand clamped over the spool of 30lb braid and is walking backwards. Which one has the most stopping power?

So why do we continue to talk about needing 2 1/4lb+ test curve rods to deal with situations where it is not possible to give the fish its head?

Firstly let me make it clear that the following relates to “stopping power†and not casting feeders or any other part of the fish playing process.

Angler No1 has a 12’ rod that has a test curve so high that it does not bend at all. Angler No2 has a rod pointed straight at the fish and has his hand clamped over the spool of 30lb braid and is walking backwards. Which one has the most stopping power?

So why do we continue to talk about needing 2 1/4lb+ test curve rods to deal with situations where it is not possible to give the fish its head?

I think the RSPCA would have an issue with anyone attempting to give head to a fish.

Back