• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Daiwa Proteus Match Power Rod - 14ft

do you need the 14ft version mark ?

as you are probably aware < generally a shorter would be more powerfull , thi may be worth considering seeing as you are specifically targetting barbel???

I have the match version and it's a nice blank, actually have had a Arrow Barbel on it and coped fine, probably could spend a lot more for for the same quality.

do you need the 14ft version mark ?

as you are probably aware < generally a shorter would be more powerfull , thi may be worth considering seeing as you are specifically targetting barbel???

Does it work like that? Always understood the 14 foot to have more power hence the better option for barbel.

I think it a question of Parabolics.

Perhaps Hugo could enlighten as he is the expert on such things:D

Does it work like that? Always understood the 14 foot to have more power hence the better option for barbel.

I think it a question of Parabolics.

Perhaps Hugo could enlighten as he is the expert on such things:D

That's what I thought Neil, they do state that the 14 ft model can handle the heavier line

Last edited:
My basic theory comes from this example , hold out a bucket of water at arms length away from your body as long as possible , then lift the same bucket with your arms by your side and elbows bent

I know which Weill be the easier

Could be complete drivel when it comes down to rods though

But , for a longer rod to gain the extra power , surely wall thickness etc would need to be increased? , therefore adding to weight ?

Thanks again Rich,

Well I haven't seen anything else for that money that takes my fancy so decision made.

Back