• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A letter to the EA

Jason Bean

Below is a letter my local club sent to our local fisheries officer, We are lucky that he is working with us. It would be too easy to say the otters were having them all

I'll post the reply if anyone is interested

Cheers
Jason

Kidlington Angling Society
River Cherwell, Thrupp-Hampton Poyle-Kidlington 2009-2010 season

Current fish Stocks This past season has seen the trend continue of fewer small fish in the river.Worryingly, specimen anglers that previously targeted barbel are now going after specimen chub due to the scarcity of barbel. These anglers are reporting that thenumbers of chub are declining also. Perhaps this signals a similar pattern that occurred with barbel in the late 90’s early 2000 where barbel size increased as numbers got fewer leading to a total collapse of stock capable of spawning. Barbel could, without the intervention of stocking and improved habitat, completelydisappear off the Cherwell. Chub do however seem to be in numbers to recover should the environment improve.Match fishing has also been a strong indicator of the numbers of each species of fish in the river. Winners of matches do so with one or more (but not many) large fish whereas the rest of the anglers catch either very little or blank. At a guess 50% would be a fairly accurate blank rate.Other fish such as Bream, Perch, Roach, Gudgeon and Dace do show in isolated pockets but are not wide spread. Tench and Carp while not common in the river did show more often, but it does appear that these must be in very small numbers now, if still there at all.A noted point this past year is the small numbers of minnow, bleak and in earlyseason matches brown trout would normally show but no reports this year.

Water Quality Overall it appears that the water quality of the Cherwell is good. The EA’s own data (2008) shows the river in good condition with the only concern being the higher levels of phosphates and nitrates in the river. This may be part of the natural make up of the river, however the EA could confirm whether these higher levels do affect fish stocks and whether they are raised by outside influences and could be reduced.

Nitrates: 4
Phosphates: 4
Scored 1-6, 1 being good

Biology: B
Ammonia: A
Dissolved Oxygen: A
Scored A-F, A being very good

Other concerns regarding the water quality is the pH level, a pH test is performed to establish the exact acidity or alkaline level in any chemical. The rainfall comes to thevalley as pH neutral 7.0, but en-route to the river it leaches through the soil, where itpicks up mineral deposits and along the whole Cherwell valley the soil type is one ofsandy loam and/or brash which does contain limestone which is an alkali substance. But crucially it would only lead the rivers water to appear as a very mild alkali (pH 7.60/7.70 would be expected), and it would be expected that without 'non-natural'influences that this figure remained stable from year to year, especially if the tests are
performed roughly in the same month annually. This though is not the case on the Cherwell; The records date back to 1993.

Somerton pH 7.80
Kidlington pH 7.82.

Somerton pH 7.87
Kidlington pH 7.90.

Somerton pH 8.00,
Kidlington pH 8.03,

This trend continues right up to 2005 when Somerton and Kidlington levels peaked at pH 8.18.Points to note; the soil types and subsequent mineral deposits are obviously unchanged, therefore it’s not that. Agri-chemicals are used to a much reduced level and there are very few arable fields adjacent to the river and if agri-chemical usage can be blamed, should the river plus its tributaries be registered as NVZ (Nitrate Vulnerable Zone). Last 'usual cause' of alkaline residues going in to a river; Sewage, treated or otherwise is a major source of Ammonia and resulting Nitrates.In the last decade Banbury's population has increased by approx’ 15%, so byreasonable deduction that's 15% more water abstracted north (upstream) of Banburyand 15% more sewage going back in south (downstream) of the town. More toxins and less water for them to be diluted into. A point of interest which the EA could confirm is whether chemicals that cause same sexing of fish are in the river and whether there are any concerns regarding this. Another concern would be legal or illegal discharges of sewage or other untreated water pollution into the river and whether this has any effect, it’s something we never hear of and would like to know if this occurs. Biodiversity It appears that over a number of years the biodiversity of the river has increased. Has this been for the good of the natural balance of the environment though?Regarding fish stocks the effect has been to reduce the numbers within the individual species severely, barbel being a prime example. From an angler’s perspective alien and invasive species such as signal crayfish, cormorant and mink are greatly impacting this. It is noted that the amount of kingfishers on the river is very healthy with it being the norm to see one on every visit to the river with the surrounding fields being home to fallow deer and muntjac. Otters are more present on the river, while they are not often seen, fish kills particularly of large fish are occasionally observed.It seems that the biodiversity is not in a seemingly healthy natural balance with recent external man-made influences, having a severe effect on the underwater environment.It could be that now there is little interest in conserving the underwater biodiversity of the river and there being no local fisheries action plan, that the interests of the river lie within the greater public.

Should there be another Cherwell District Council biodiversity action plan proposed,the interests of the river and anglers could be included for consideration.The affect of signal crayfish in the river must be effecting the aquatic biology. Macro-invertebrates are extremely important to successful fish stocks and the density of signal crayfish in the river surely take up a large percentage of biomass that fish would normally be part of. It would be interesting to know whether it is the case that the signals do actually eat the majority of food source available to fish stocks. Signal crayfish are notorious for eating fish eggs, and, with the decline in numbers of fish,combined with the silting of gravel beds, this must have an enormous effect on our fish stocks ability to reproduce. Signal crayfish, which burrow into the bank side are collapsing banks, spreading silt into the river and, in recent years, the holes in the bank are becoming more numerous.

Ecology, abstraction and flood prevention
The consequence that the rivers changing environment has on fish stocks does appear to be a major issue in this area. The impounding of the Thrupp stretch does not allow for migration into the area from further downstream. The effects of flooding and future flood prevention work could further impact on the area and every effort regarding this should not result in further damage to a struggling, out of balance environment. Any work that the EA flood prevention team carry out to alleviate flooding on KAS stretches must be consulted with the KAS committee before proceeding. This being to avoid what happened recently where the lower stretch at Bransons was completely stripped bare, totally removing any cover for fish to use to avoid predators. Species such as chub, barbel and perch rely on in-stream cover forsurvival and it is noted since this cover was removed on that stretch, fewer of these fish have been caught.The river is now more prone to heavy flash flooding, whether this is down to so-called global warming or more local issues only time will tell. The expanding local flood plain and need for housing will put further pressure on the river. It is worth noting that the local ditch networks are not maintained or cleared, particularly around white bridge. In years past you would imagine these were dug and maintained to make adjacent fields available for farming, if these were re-instated and connected to the river this may benefit fish stocks, enhance the environment and possibly help with flood relief. Siltation of gravel spawning sights appears to be effecting fish such as dace, barbel, gudgeon and chub. One reason for this would be the turbidity which appears to be caused by the large amount of signal crayfish in the river and low summer flow rates. British Waterways greatly influence the river Cherwell and are perhaps now part of the reason for poor summer flow rates, the large increase in pleasure craft on the Oxford canal and with the interlinking of the canal and river must be having a detrimental effect on the Cherwell. We understand British waterways can legally abstract as much water as they need to serve the canal. Observations from this are that in the summer, in low river conditions, the canal can be more of a river than the river itself. We understand that this is something the EA are pursuing in respect to changes in the law that allows British waterways to abstract as much water as they like without regard for the surrounding environment. It would be interesting to know the facts around this issue.

Signal Crayfish The general consensus amongst local anglers is that signal crayfish are possibly the main contributing factor to declining fish stocks on the river As previously mentioned, the environmental changes they bring verge on being a pollutant and any future ways of removing them would be a major step in improving the river.

Mink As anglers we do not know the full impact they have, however, they do seem to be more resident on the river compared to otters. The understanding that otters displace mink does not appear to be happening on this stretch.

Cormorant The lower stretch towards Kidlington where the river deepens and widens is the area where cormorants tend to predate. Large numbers have not been spotted but during the winter months small numbers regularly visit this area. This gives reason for keeping as much in-stream cover as possible.Otters While otters have been in the area for quite a number of years the full impact is notfully known. Our concern on this subject is that, due to the lack of smaller fish, the target for otters will be the few remaining stocks of larger fish.

Fish removal Other clubs particularly those on the Thames comment on Eastern Europeans targeting fish and illegally removing them. As a club this is not something we have noticed and are not overly concerned about at the moment.

Canoe access This could be a concern for our club and the fragile environment of the local river. While the club is not anti-canoeist we do understand that the EA recreational policies are to actively encourage greater use of the waterways. In the future should consultations between canoeists, the EA and land owners takeplace KAS would want to be part of them to ensure respect for anglers and the environment be of paramount importance should any agreements be reached.

The future We as anglers have put this together with our limited environmental knowledge and it’s based on our own observations. If the EA could inform us of any other contributing factors to the Cherwell’s decline or if our views are misinformed we would like the EA to let KAS know.The recognition of the current state of fish stocks needs to be taken seriously by the EA and we are grateful for stocking and habitat works already taken place. We do hope the EA look long term at this small stretch of river in particular while considering the whole river as well. We believe regular stocking needs to take place until major habitat enhancement works have been carried out and fish stocks can hold their own.The problems facing our stretch of river are numerous and, at this moment in time habitat improvement and the stocking of fish appear to be the only options currently available.

We feel the problems the Cherwell face will, in the future, affect other smaller rivers and this river should be used as a test bed for measures to combat these problems.It’s quite apparent that without recent stocking, indigenous barbel could soon have disappeared; recent surveys have shown how precarious the stock levels are and how fast they have declined. Being a European key indicator/Thames BAP species it shows how urgent habitat works and stocking are needed.Should the EA fisheries, conservation, recreational and flood prevention departments wish to carry out works on the KAS controlled Cherwell stretches please contact the secretary of the club Mr X, Treasurer Mr X or committee member Mr X. We hope our report is passed on to relevant people within the EA departments listed above. The aim of this report is for it to be kept as a KAS archive so that in the future, we can look back to where we were. In years to comethese reports will hopefully show improvements both for fish stocks, anglers and the wider environment.

Secretary
Mr XXXXXX

Treasurer
MrXXXXXX

Committee member
Mr XXXXXXX

This is the covering letter attached with the report, Basically this is all about the survival of a small angling society that controls only rivers and canals. since these were sent and valuable input from others it as opened a can of worms that's given even more possible reasons for decline coming up than answers.

I will have to ask permission to post the reply.....again if anyone's interested

Cheers
Jason

Covering letter regarding the 2010 report
Kidlington Angling Society
April 2010

Dear X
Please find enclosed a report Kidlington Angling Society have put together regarding our current view of the river Cherwell, it’s our assessment from an anglers point of view and information sourced from the EA’s own website. We are no experts on the technicalities of some of the information provided inthe report so maybe you could clarify the points we have raised. Kidlington Angling Society was formed in 1947 and has a long proud history and have controlled sections of the river throughout this time, while KAS is still stable the current decline in the river is extremely worrying. The reason for this letter and report is we feel is quite obvious but this year the club took a large drop in membership, we fully understand that angling trends are changing, mainly towards still water’s however the quality of angling the river now offers is very poor and we believe this is a major contributing factor in the drop in membership. It’s fair to say that good anglers who have fished this river for over 50 years cannot catch much nowadays so to expect the average pleasure angler to catch on the river is bordering on impossible.The last match of the season was fished by 13 anglers and this was the result.

1st three chub for 15lb,
2nd one bream 4lb 2oz,
3rd one perch 2lb 8oz
4th 1oz 8drams
5th 1oz
6th 8 drams

Then 7 blanks from experienced river anglers in good conditions. Our match card for the new season is now changing to keep match anglers attending, basically fishing the Cherwell less. Very sad but this isthe way it is now and this from a river that at times been an excellent barbel, chub, dace and roach fishery.We are grateful of your time given this year and the speed at which the stocking took place and the habitat works undertaken. We do hope in the future there will be more stocking and work to be done. So hopefully the club and the EA can work together to help the river recover and we would welcome any comments yourself or the EA would like to make to the club.

Yours sincerely

Secretary

XXXXXXXXXX

Hi Jason,

I would be interested in seeing the reply fella. I don't fish the Cherwell, but I feel it vital to take interest in the wellfare of other fisheries, and would happily help in any way I can.

Cheers, Dave.

Nice one Jason, I'll be joining KAS this year to help support the good work the club are doing. It would be great if other local clubs could follow this lead, and I'm still hoping they will - I havent heard anything following the NOAS agm yet but I guess thats partly my fault for not chasing them up! Time to make some phonecalls.

Anyway please do post the reply and keep up the good work

Nick

Reply from the fisheries officer which I think is a very reasonable and honest assessment, while not being too commitle I think it shows that regarding finding and solving the problems the EA will at ground level do what they can. The problems lie alot higher up the chain of command in the EA and the way this country is run and bulging at the seems..... like Mr Boote has been telling us it's all to do with our greedy want society.

Chris mentioned on another thread about the way rivers will be run and stocked in the future....I think this is starting to happen here already. The penny is dropping on the small upper thames tributaries and a few clubs are now working with the EA to find ways of helping the desperate situation, these are not big clubs with high membership and carp lakes to keep them going just your small local club that's been on the river for years.

The way I see it is we need all the help we can get and the two places it will come from are the EA and the AT. The funny thing about that is they are the two organisations that get the most slagging off on here(well apart from the BS)joke!

Like I've said I think these types of problems will be more common place in the future and the stronger the angling lobby the less damage will be done. But for some reason I don't think anglers as a whole are that bothered and unwilling to pull together...

I know I make it sound like there is nothing in the river now and in large areas there is very little but there is still a few big chub and barbel around but you have to be a very clever and patient angler to catch them now as they are well and trully tucking themselves out of harms way!

Cheers
Jason

Dear

KIDLINGTON ANGLING SOCIETY REPORT 2010

Thank you very much for your recent correspondence and sending me Kidlington Angling Society’s 2010 report. Some very interesting and salient points were raised in the report and in so much I will try and go through them in the order they were raised

Current Fish Stocks

From you report it would appear that recent trend of small numbers of silver fish and the odd large solitary fish dominating matches is continuing. We obviously pay a large amount of credence to the match reports we receive from angling clubs as they are very good indicator as to the current status of fish populations.

The current state of the barbel population has been well documented and we are now hopefully taking some steps to see if we can help this population recover. We are hopefully getting another 500 juvenile barbel to stock into the river this year in addition to the 500 we stocked last year. Along with the small scale habitat enhancements it will be interesting to see if any improvement is noticed over the forthcoming years.

Whilst it is not openly apparent why silver fish populations have declined we are going to continue to monitor along the Thrupp stretch to see how fish populations respond. There are possibly a number of reasons for the perceived decline, including poor habitat, predation i.e. cormorants, signal crayfish etc.

Habitat on the Thrupp to Gosford reach is fairly good with a good pool-riffle structure in places and generally a good mosaic of habitats. Also there has been no wide scale habitat degradation due to dredging for a number of years now; therefore I do not feel that habitat (whilst there is still room for improvement!) is not a major limiting factor. Saying this, it is probably still worthwhile investigating the quality of the gravel substrate throughout the reach which may be impinging on successful barbel, chub and dace recruitment. Periods of low flows can lead to gravel riffles being silted up and adversely affecting recruitment rates. We will be undertaking some observations on the riffle where put in the new gravel to see what fish are hopefully using it.

Water Quality

As stated in your report, water quality in the Cherwell is generally considered as good, albeit with nitrates and phosphates on the high side. The high nitrates and phosphate values are fairly typical of lowland river like the Cherwell and reflect the predominantly agricultural nature of the catchment. Sewage treatment work effluents will also add to these levels.

The observations you make with regards to the PH levels are interesting. Whilst the levels recorded will not be detrimental to fish populations it may well be indicative of the increased levels of sewage effluent in the river as a result of the increase in Banbury’s population. The problem lies within the lack of dilution. The Cherwell is pressurized on many fronts when it comes to water quantity with one of the main factors being the Oxford Canal. During the summer months large amounts of the river’s flow is taken at Cropredy to feed the canal. There are also other points such as the river / canal crossing near Nell Bridge which also takes water from the canal. Historically, British Waterways have not needed an abstraction licence to take this water however, under the Water Act of 2003 this position may well change and in the future BW may well need to gain consent to abstract from the Cherwell. Unfortunately, the position on what is going to happen in the near future is not so clear. The last I heard is that there was certain amount of wrangling going on between lawyers from both sides.

Ultimately the lack of dilution in the river can pose problems when the sewage effluent is of poor quality as the river has a reduced capacity to buffer any adverse affects of poor water quality. This aside though, water quality has generally improved in the Cherwell over the last twenty years especially as discharge consents for effluent at Banbury Sewage Treatment Works are tighter now than they have ever been.

With regards to the chemicals which cause gender changes in fish (endocrine disruptors) it is more than probable that they are the present and some fish may well display intersex properties. At present we are not entirely sure what overall affect this can have of fish populations. Whilst some fish will display male and female and sex organs we are not sure how this is impinging on recruitment success. A number of trials are being carried out at sites across the country.

Signal Crayfish

Even though the evidence is still anecdotal and has not been fully quantified there is now a widespread feeling that the deterioration of fish stocks in many rivers may well be down to signal crayfish. All the points you make about there presence are quite likely to be true and thus having an adverse affect on fish populations. Probably one of the biggest factors may be the competition for food amongst juvenile fish and signal crayfish. It might well be the case that due to high densities of crayfish the current availability of food might not be enough to support biomasses of fish once seen in the river.

Otters

The Cherwell catchment has seen a return of otters in the last decade. It is likely that these are not as consequence of introductions but down to natural recolonisation. Whilst otters obviously take fish they will only colonize an area where there is a suitably abundant food source i.e. they will only live where there is a sustainable supply of fish. Otters will take large fish like barbel and if that population is stressed due to other factors i.e. poor habitat then there can be a negative affect on the overall population. However, the barbel population was already in decline before the otters recolonized the Cherwell. Why this happened is what we should be concentrating on. We will continue to monitor what affects our recent and future stockings of barbel have on the population as a whole.

One of the main factors to consider with otters, as with mink and cormorants is that where they are present they will have an affect on fish behaviour. A predator of this nature will cause fish to shoal up tightly and seek cover sometimes making them more difficult to catch especially during daylight hours.

Mink

Unlike otters mink generally can only take smaller fish. Even though they can potentially have a detrimental affect on fish populations it is unlikely they are the primary cause for the recent decline seen.

Cormorants

The potential effects of cormorants on a fishery are well documented. As with otters they have the ability to affect fish behaviour. It is important as you state that as much instream cover as possible is left intact within the channel to provide refuges so fish can avoid predation

Flood Prevention

I totally concur with your comments regarding clearance works on the river. The wholesale clearance of lower stretch at Bransons is something I would like to see avoided in the future as it effectively removes vital instream habitat. We now hopefully have in place a good system where our Operations Delivery teams consult with fisheries and conservation interests to minimize the effect of programmed in works. Any works that are to be undertaken on Kidlington waters I will be consulting with the club beforehand.

Ditch clearance and maintenance is no longer carried out as a matter of course. Flood maintenance works are no carried out on a cost benefit approach i.e. most of the routine works are concentrated now on areas that pose most risk of flooding to property.

Biodiversity

With regards to Fisheries Action Plans (FAP), one does exist for the Cherwell and there was until it became defunct a Cherwell Fisheries Action Plan Group. The FAP identified issues affecting fish populations and set out actions of how to address them. Many of them were addressed since the FAP’s roll out in 2005, however some fell the by the side as more important issues became apparent i.e. declining barbel stocks. I still work on many of the actions that were set out in the FAP even though the FAP group no longer actively meets. I have enclosed a copy of the FAP for yours and the club’s interest.

The Future

I don’t think you need me to tell you that there are many challenges facing the Cherwell and that there are going to be no overnight solutions. However I do feel that we have made a start and with the recent habitat works and stockings and planned future works we can hopefully start to make a difference.

I am more than happy to attend a KAS committee meeting to discuss any of the issues raised in your report or in my subsequent reply.

In the meantime if you have any further questions or enquiries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours faithfully

Fisheries Officer

Very interesting read..The club involved are to be congratulated..I myself will be joining the angling trust in the coming weeks...After reading that report and other reports on other rivers it seems its the same story and yes mr boote was indeed right about..want want...What i dont understand is why natural england and other groups with much more finances for research etc didnt carry out the relavent research such as this angling club has done before doing what they did..But thats done now and more needs to be done with regards to the over all eco system of the rivers in this country..Thanks for posting the report jason..
Regards craig..

Craig, that's one of the interesting points.

Out of all the people contacted regarding trying to receive help, understanding, information and dialogue Natural England are the only ones who have not replied, they may in the future and I can't understand why not.

Cheers
Jason

Craig, that's one of the interesting points.

Out of all the people contacted regarding trying to receive help, understanding, information and dialogue Natural England are the only ones who have not replied, they may in the future and I can't understand why not.

Cheers
Jason

Jase, send me a copy of the enquiry and i'll bloody hand deliver it and ask them why they havn't responded

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/Long-Hanborough_tcm6-3464.pdf

Unbelievable :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Pointless me re-sending your letter, as just about every wildlife, ecology and environmental based website or forum on the net has banned me.
Just for asking uncomfortable questions....... W*****s, IMO.

Natural England being on my list of 'black ballings', but if you want answers use an assumed name and ask questions like.
My local is struggling for essential fish stocks and all the surrounding lakes are erecting otter fencing, so how best could these vital fish stocks be improved, to maintain the beautiful cuddly little Tarker or Lotti......

Below is the 2010 secretary's report from the upper thames fisheries consultative. This has been written by an angler with great understanding, passion and excellent knowledge of the local rivers and has been trying to work alongside the EA/NRA for many years. A big thanks to him for letting me post it.

Cheers
Jason

Secretary’s report to 2010 AGM.

Dear friends,

I debated long and hard whether to write a report at all this year. This indecision on my part reflected my pessimism about the future of angling in our area – and with this a strong feeling that my over long tenure as UTFC secretary ought to come to an end. However, in the hope that someone will take over my job I will tell it how I see it.

Sadly, I think we have lost every battle that I really care about.

River Windrush
Personally, I can’t bear to look at the lower Windrush these days. The EA acknowledges that the river loses up to 1/3 of its flow between Witney and the Thames, but says the matter is closed. No further research, let alone action is contemplated. Fly hatches are poor, turbidity is perpetual and the river is infested with signal crayfish. The specimen roach and dace for which the river was famous seem to have disappeared – almost certainly due to cormorant predation – and the river has lost its barbel too. As for grayling in the lower river – they are a distant memory. Higher up the river, remnant populations hang on. Strangely, wild brown trout recruitment is reasonably good, though the outsize trout the river used to produce do not show, probably because the millions of minnows they used to eat aren’t there!

River Evenlode
The Evenlode was once my winter “bankerâ€. I could catch lovely roach on almost any day of the year. This too appears to be a thing of the past. Again, turbidity is perpetual. Some friends tell me that they still catch specimen roach, chub and perch, but the EA’s survey results have been very depressing. The gudgeon have gone – and, I think, the minnows too! I attended a presentation by Tom Sherwood of the EA at Ascott u Wychwood on the state of the Evenlode. I think this was a valuable occasion and I would like to see the EA give similar presentations on other West Area rivers, perhaps to this forum.

River Cherwell
On my favourite piece of the Cherwell I never saw another angler last winter. That was great as I am notably antisocial, especially when fishing. Unfortunately, other anglers had not deserted the stretch for no reason. The barbel, which were once plentiful, have gone. The chub were for many years never particularly large – a four pounder was a very good fish. Later we saw the chub decline in numbers but pack on weight and even I caught a six pounder. Sadly, the numbers of chub now seem to be thinning out further and as the old big fish die I wonder what will replace them.

River Kennet
I have wonderful memories of Kennet days, fly fishing days at the Wilderness and coarse fishing days at Rainsford and Upper Benyons and many more. Alas on the Kennet as elsewhere the scene is depressing. Even above the canal confluence the river is more turbid than it was and the fly hatches are poor. Below the canal confluence the river is perpetually turbid, infested with signals and the vast shoals of chub, roach and barbel that we once encountered simply don’t exist. I know there is an expensive plan to re-channel part of the middle Kennet at Copse Lock, separating river and canal. I am not a fan! A great deal of money would be spent to bring benefit to 2 estates – the Craven and Sutton estates while the benefit to the rest of the river would be zero. The Italians have a wonderful phrase: “Cathedrals in the desert†– expensive projects that bring little benefit. This re-channelling of the Kennet merits that description. The UTFC (David Reinger and Richard Knowles) continues to attend meetings of the Kennet Fap group. The Kennet has a plethora of groups which meet with the EA. I think we all wonder how real is the progress made.

I can go on and on, but it is too depressing. The barbel have disappeared from the Thames; the Glyme is always the colour of mud; the Coln – once rated alongside the Hampshire chalk streams – has lost its fly – and, where I fish, its ranunculus and grayling too! If there are any bright spots for fishing in this area I can’t see them. In the past year we have had a number of tussles with the EA about flood defence work about which we have not been consulted. David Cameron has said that if he wins the election landowners would have a greater say in flood defence work. That is not an appealing prospect. Whoever wins there must be real doubt that the EA will exist in current form in five years time. Sadly, I am pessimistic that any restructuring will be for the better.

Yes, I am a sad and angry old man. When I became UTFC secretary the fishing in all of our rivers in this area was better than it is now – and that is because our rivers were better fisheries and more diverse ecosystems. Chemical water quality as narrowly defined and measured by the EA (BOD, SS and Ammonia) has not got worse. Indeed it is probably better. However, the impact of phosphates and trace pesticides are much less clear. I strongly suspect, but cannot prove, that invertebrates – the key to the food chain – are very sensitive to both.

What has undoubtedly impacted on our fisheries in the past 20 years is predation. Cormorants, signal crayfish and otters have all had an impact. We know that cormorants ravage silver fish stocks – and can eat quite large fish. We know that signal crayfish hammer slow moving invertebrates. We suspect they also aggravate turbidity problems. Finally, otters eat large fish. They can’t eat eels because there aren’t any and, for whatever reason, poor recruitment means small fish don’t grow to replace the big ones that get eaten.

I would like to end on a positive note, but frankly I can’t. Join the Angling Trust and enjoy what remains of your fishing while you can. I hope our rivers will bounce back, but I am not betting on it.

Richard Knowles

28th April 2010.

Sadly Richard Knowles's appraisal of my local rivers is grim reading, even more sad though, is the fact that what he's written is all to true.

Paul took your advice and read the full article a fantatic piece. but very worring outlook for rivers The angling Trust is about to get a new member as I am to join today

Alan:)

Back