• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Zander

Simon King

Yes, I know it's a rubbish pic, but it isn't a monster, I was half-awake and it was early doors.

But........my first Spring trip on a difficut lake produced, which was very pleasing. 7.10.

Special thanks to Tim for clearing out a nuisance carp and keeping the swim warm for me. :D :)

picture.php

Last edited:
Nice one Simon.

I decided to focus on Zander for this years close rather than chase the Carp. Its been a bit slower than I was hoping if I'm honest. My last fish action was 3 weeks ago :eek:. I had 2, missed a third, and that all in the space of half an hour. I'm finding lives more effective that deads but I confess to not having done any nights yet, which may well make a difference.

Will be out again tomorrow morning.

picture.php

Hi Steve,

I managed to glean, from talking to a few people, that those few zeds out recently seem to have come in the first few hours of the daylight. This one was 6.30am. Do you find any change of feeding time on your lake?
I used to fish for them on the Lea and found that they became dawn feeders in the summer, evening in the Autumn, and mid-night in the Winter.

This lake has an inlet to the river and I think there are as many transient fish as there are residents. Bites are few and far between (this was my second in nine trips), but there are a few mid-doubles around most of the time.

I always fish deads on the lake as I feel they sort out the better fish, especially when there are shoals of schoolies moving through. Bites are usually sailaways.

Simon

My experience of this venue in daylight so far shows Zeds and Pike feeding around late morning/lunchtime.

I did a fair bit two Winters ago, late evenings and well into dark, with deads, but couldn't get anything of any size.:(

I'll be doing a night or two soon to see if there's any difference now we're into Spring.

Gents,

As you know Simon, predatory carp feed at around 2334 at night! On the zed front though, I always try my best to get out as soon as I can after woek, which usually involves me arriving at around half seven. As the days get longer, this means i fish for a little while in daylight. All but one of the fish i've ever caught have been in the first two hours of darkness (i don't do overnighters). For some reason once proper night time sets in they switch off.

Then again, i don't catch anywhere near enough to draw any conclusions!!

Cheers folks,

Tim

P.S. On all venues i've fished, lives tend to get hits rather than proper runs, and catch more small fish. Deads have been much more successful. However, my best river fish was on a live! Who knows...

Last edited:
Back