• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Zander and Deadbaits

John Spilsbury

A few days ago I caught my first zander. Never seen one before. Wasn't fishing for them, and apparently, according to the locals, they are rare to extremely rare where I was fishing.
But I decided to have another go anyway, a couple of days later, to intentionally try and catch one. Failed of course.

But on deadbaits: is it best to use a very fresh deadbait, or because zander can be largely nocturnal feeders, and therefore dependent upon their sense of smell, should the bait be allowed to gain that unique "death" smell first?

Do they take dead fish more readily than live?

Last edited:
John i've just posted a nice zander in the other thread, but i'm a novice like you.

However, from information i've gleaned i would suggest fresh baits are much the best. However, i've chopped the head off my fresh rudds to get some scent into the water. Judging by how quickly i've been getting runs after casting in, it's working so far :)

Good luck with your quest, they are super fish.

Back