• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Yuck!

Andreas Opitz

...someone gave me some shellfish paste a couple of weeks ago. Finally opened the vacuumed packet last night and it smells ABSOLUTELY AWFUL!

Has anyone used this stuff with success when fishing for Barbel?
If so, apart from paste what else can be done with it? (Can I simply make them into boilies in it's current state, or do I need to add mix in with it?)

Cheers

Sounds like it may be Shrimp paste which does smell bloody horrible nothing to worry about. Never tried it myself but many do in paste mixes etc.

Belachan. I bought some a while back in an oriental supermarket. The stuff stinks to high heaven. I have added it to some base mixes, just to give it that little extra. Use gloves when you grate it into whatever you're using it with. You have been warned!

Last edited:
thats what he called it...shrimp paste. it's quite wet, so its not really grate-able if you see what I mean...

I can imagine it would be good to mix into a base mix...?

I defy anyone to use my carp carryall without retching :p I had a couple of blocks of bellachan in cardboard packs hanging about in the bottom for a couple of years 'just in case'. I also had a squeezy bottle of marmite, 'just in case' :rolleyes:

The cardboard packets disintegrated, the bellachan blocks crumbled, the marmite squeezy bottle squoze..... I lay in my bag on my bedchair, reached down and scrambled around in my carryall for my headtorch....and found IT:eek:

I am sure I can smell it on my hand occasionally even now....and that was two years ago:D

The bag is fine now though...I scraped the worst of the stuff out...jobs a good 'un :p

Cheers, Dave.

put a lump of it in a feeder with a few pellets or use it as a paste wrap, dont do what I did and boil it with hemp, I nearly gipped !!!!!!!!

After I came home last night I had a shower but I could still smell it so I washed my hands twice again, cut my finger nails and when I finally got into bed I was told by the missus that there was no way I was sleeping in the same bed as her and the cat as I stank...:mad:

I wasn't impressed but at least I now know how to make sure that pesky cat never sleeps in our bed again,...here kitty kitty! ;)

You can get a dry version - which still pongs and persists. When I used it years ago prefered the block version. Very effective ingredient.
Cheers
Bob

Try rubbing hands in some lemon juice...jiffy is good.

Great additive with loads of uses, grate and add to your eggs, add Soya flour to stiffen and use it as paste, in winter you can get away with using it as it comes straight out of the packet as paste wrap.

Just don’t add it to your freshly cooked steaming hemp in the kitchen!

She has still not forgiven me. :D

Andreas, try some swafega to get rid of the smell of your hands or buy a chefs steel soap. I remember a thread a while ago discussing getting rid of bait odours of your hands and these were the two best solutions.
I was looking for some belechan in my local Asian food shop but they didn't stock it. Might have to search a bit further afield, I know CC Moore's sell it but their P&P takes the P.

Thanks everyone. "Swafega" that's the stuff I need...forgot about that...I swear I still get the occasional whiff for no apparent reason :confused:

Anyone know how to make boilies with the stuff...slightly concerned about it's high salt levels and correct dosages etc?

Thanks everyone. "Swafega" that's the stuff I need...forgot about that...I swear I still get the occasional whiff for no apparent reason :confused:

Anyone know how to make boilies with the stuff...slightly concerned about it's high salt levels and correct dosages etc?

"Swafega" boilies, that's a new one on me. :D:D:D

ha ha this stuff is ultimately minging - I have some in my fridge, in a sealed bag, in two air tight sealed and locked containers.

I can't bring myself to ever smell it again so it will prob stay there until the fridge is ready to be de-contaminated and jettisoned into space.

Stuart

Try a chinese supermarket if there's one nearby and look for shrimp paste. And have a sniff of the box....you'll know when you've found it:eek:

Cheers
Mark

I have always kept the percentage of belachen quite low in a boilie mix as it has a very powerful flavor and as you say it is very salty.

If you grate the raw block and stir into your eggs at around 10% you will realize just how powerful it is.

I tend to use it at between 5 and 10% and then use the raw paste as a wrap if required.

Hope this helps :)

Tom.

Back