• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Your most treasured piece of fishing tackle

Howard Cooke

What's the thing you adore the most? It may demand your affection because of its functionality, it's diversity of purpose, it's smell even. It may not be any of these things but might drip with history and sentimentally- a float perhaps. A reel or a rod. A bankstick even-something you may have used to help fight off some would be tackle liberators on the canal. It might be something that makes you swell with pride whenever you remove it from your tackle bag. Basically, you could never contemplate selling it and if you lost it, you would secretly, or even openly, cry. If it wasn't considered a bit weird, you might even sleep with it.

Mine would be my Mitchell Match.

My I-Powers...................
And my 3m Power-stretch Landing Net Handle.......
Finally, my Fox 13-15ft Match-Master Rod......

Oh and the Old School Shakespeare Telescopic Landing Net Handle I have which has the joints built up with Araldite........My float fishing net handle of choice..........

It's got to be one of the pins,.either my dad's mordex merlin or an engraved aerial perfection presented to me by one of my clubs many years ago...but I have to admit to still having a black prince reel which used to be my pride and joy along with the shakespeare strike [now long gone] as a kid.:eek:

My landing net handle, it might not be bling, modern or even that light, but boy is it strong and never let me down, 20 years old now.

My leeda predator landing net and the extendable handle(do not know the make) i use with it. So many times i have stood on the handle in the dark,it just dents the ground under it .Totally reliable,reasonably light, 15 years plus of abuse,looks like they are a purchase that will last a lifetime.

Last edited:
mine isn't fishing tackle but its always in my tackle, its a 1901 penny that I have had in various tackle boxes since I was 10 years old (55 years)

Hi men,

Sue , loves her powerfull little fold up stove , it comes with us in a little bag , fresh tea even on a short session .

Me , the Drennen brown lens glasses , we need to see them ;)

Hatter

My fishing jacket, a dozen or more pockets and after about 10 years of wear and keeping things in the same place I know what's in every one of them!

My old Pete Evans 1 1/4lb Tri-cast, plenty of double figure Cherwell Barbel fell to that rod (thats how old it is!) Amazing build quality, varnish even after all these years is still unmarked, would never sell it, too many good memories attached to it.

Battered, 30 years old plus, my home made weed/nettle cutter. Industrial hacksaw blade ground down and fitted to an old reshaped sea fishing gaff.

weedcutter.jpg

Bob

Battered, 30 years old plus, my home made weed/nettle cutter. Industrial hacksaw blade ground down and fitted to an old reshaped sea fishing gaff.

weedcutter.jpg

Bob

Bob, Bob, just to really put my mind at ease-that red "stuff" on that implement of yours, is it...paint..?

I did pay for those fantastic rods you built Bob which I love to bits and which, are, on reflection, my most treasured items. Along with my life.

No worries Howard you are safe - yes painted red to stop me losing it in the undergrowth or to my mate.
This other treasured piece of tackle gives it extra reach:

Handleandextension.jpg

Strange though - used to be camo everything now as time goes on it's bright colours on some pieces of kit to avoid loss. A recent example is:

manta.jpg

Blue, green and double red LED, with dimmable and zoom main beam. Bargain at £15.

Glad you love the rods. Sleep easy and all the best,
Cheers
Bob

Back