• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Your choice of fishing break

Your choice of fishing holiday. Whats for you?

• Two weeks in France after catfish

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • A week sturgeon fishing in Canada

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • A week in Patagonia. After the Trout Species

Votes: 15 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Of the three choices, i went for the Canada option. ( Hate everything about France, such arrogant people, and i can,t fly fish ). But if i had a few quid to spare, i would rather buy a motor home, and drive from fishery to fishery, be it pond, lake, river, or from the rocks/beach off the coasts of Britain. All i need is my 6 numbers to come in. :):):)

Good question Graham :) What would be your choice ??? Or are you waiting on the outcome of the poll :D

Patagonia just shaded it due to the stunning landscape and my current love for fly fishing (still learning). Proper big mahseer fishing would be my ultimate choice, but that's off the menu thanks to Indian government rules :(
Slovenia fly fishing is currently catching my eye.

Derek. Waiting for the outcome of the house sale.

If all happens. Will go Canada for sturgeon again.

Would love to do third trip to Lofoten Isle in Norway.

If a lottery win I will adopt Mark Swaby and go Far East!
Now theres a guy thats travelled.

No interest in big tadpoles.

Hope the move goes to plan Graham, I,m off to the banks of the Stour on Monday .
I love Canada so it got my vote, but being a barbel fan John Wilson whetted my appetite for mahseer some years ago, and despite the apparent restrictions and demise of some of the bigger fish I would still love to give it a go.
When I was a kid I used to spend many hours reading and gazing at the pictures in a massive hardback book of my dads called 'Game fish of the world'.
One of the colour plates was of an Arapainia from the Americas, and I often dreamed of catching one.
Having since watched Amazonion natives catch them from coracles using nuts for bait , ( The Flooded Forrest ...I seem to remember ) and more recently Jeremy Wade having a go on River Monsters , ... a trip to Central America or the Amazon, casting a surface popping lure from a dinghy and waiting for that heart-stopping take would fit the bill. ;)

Last edited:
I went for the Canada option too, and I was REALLY hoping Grahams house move goes well. If so, I will be in his suitcase when he goes :D

Cheers, Dave.

Bahrain, Indian Ocean, for old time's sake, served there in there in the RAF many years ago, huge Grouper, Tiger Ray, Shark, Barracuda, and much more.
It was a tough posting but those weekend trips kept me sane, well almost.

Other than that the Wye, with a foot on will do nicely:)

Graham....where ever you go take a fly rod to keep active.

My wish list would be Sweden, Norway or Iceland chasing salmon, sea trout or pike.

Lucky enough to have just come back from the Fraser again, during the pink's run, had 80 sturgeon between 5 of us with the biggest over 9ft (450lbs)
For those that have not been, if you get the chance, do it, for sheer power they have no equal in freshwater!
Oh and the scenery is absolutely stunning, naturally I voted Canada

Chilliwack.jpg

Sturgeon 9ft 2 inches.jpg

8 ft 3 Sturgeon.jpg

Hi Rhys

yep, pink salmon run every other year around late August September unlike the Chinook and Sockeye etc.
The Sturgeon gorge themselves on the dying salmon and fishing is always frenetic:)
The 9ft fish came out of the water about 20ft from the boat like a Trident missile about 3 seconds after we set the hook, amazing...!

Atb
Martin

No mention of Tarpon yet?
My vote would be chasing Tarpon and Permit in Islamorada.
A seriously addictive past time :)
Neil

Was going to say Florida, where you can go after pretty much anything. I don't have much international experience but I've never been anywhere before where fishing is such a big thing, rather than being a minority activity for a load of weirdos.

Back