• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Youngsters having fun.

Graham Elliott

Senior Member & Supporter
Had a long standing arrangement to take a father and son fishing for the first time today.

Commercial chosen. Quite good fun when the Carp boys are watching pretty much static rods and we are pulling out roach to 1 and half lb and Perch over the 1lb.

Crystal float 3 bb size 16 and maggs/sweetcorn.

Changed to the alternative baited bit (with meat chunks) for the last 45 mins and changed the hook to size 8 overdepth and first a perch nearly 2lb on meat?? Then 2 commons about 11 and 12lb in two casts - about 2 feet from our bankside!

9 year old playing one of them with a match rod and 5lb mainline was fun!

Happy Days.

Excellent Graham, that's proper fishing mate.
Nice to see an experienced angler putting something back.

My neighbour has been pestering me for ages to take his grandson fishing but I've been a bit worried about the responsibility. Maybe this will spur me on.
Is your water a day ticket? Is it learner friendly? Is it local to me? PM me if preferred. (The lad's father, a non-fisher took him once to a water very close to you and had an unpleasant experience and hasn't bothered since)

Excellent Graham, that's proper fishing mate.
Nice to see an experienced angler putting something back.

My neighbour has been pestering me for ages to take his grandson fishing but I've been a bit worried about the responsibility. Maybe this will spur me on.
Is your water a day ticket? Is it learner friendly? Is it local to me? PM me if preferred. (The lad's father, a non-fisher took him once to a water very close to you and had an unpleasant experience and hasn't bothered since)

nice to see,
dave, i know Neil at amersham does a fair bit for youngsters with the tring anglers and local scouts, might your neighbors lad worth considering.

That's really nice to read Graham ! I must admit I do like going to stillwaters and fishing for the stuff half the anglers don't bother with ! I'm sure a commercial will one day produce the Roach, Perch and Eel records as these species seem to thrive on the relative neglect they receive in such waters !
I've taken my eldest lad a few times and it's very challenging ! But as he's got older, he is great company and has good patience now ! Seeing his face when he caught a good Roach from a local stream was worth the tangles and tackle loss :eek:)

Well it was certainly hard work....about 20 tangles during the day. Suprised by the perch on spam though?

And the inexperience meant 2 roach lost by the Dad that would both have been very close to 2lb.

Lad said

"This is the best day of my life........even better than Christmas!" which made my day.

Dave. Berkshire Fisheries. Not the most beautiful place in the world but the roach are in stunning condition.

The bigger ones on corn (I have fished caster before there very succesfully) with chilli hemp loaded in first. Number of beautiful rudd caught as well though small.

I probably could have had 5 -6 carp if I had tried. Happy to have a day together if you wish.

Graham

Dave.

First Lake. Fish to hand, no need to go more than 2 rod lengths out. Best just off the bottom (3and a half foot!) Also probably for perch on prawns......

Enjoy.

Graham

Its a great thing getting youngsters involved , my daughter used to go on canal with me , she loved 2m whip to hand catching gudgeon and roach , could never get lad to go , suppose its one good thing for commercials , think if we had sensible anglers who didnt need to catch at least 100lb every trip perhaps they could have forgone all these mud pigs and then i might have enjoyed fishing them when the rivers are shut

Dave.

First Lake. Fish to hand, no need to go more than 2 rod lengths out. Best just off the bottom (3and a half foot!) Also probably for perch on prawns......

Enjoy.

Graham
cheers, is the tackle shop still going?
went there a couple of winters ago, it was shut, not a sole about fishing or otherwise.

nice to see,
dave, i know Neil at amersham does a fair bit for youngsters with the tring anglers and local scouts, might your neighbors lad worth considering.

That's a good call Dave, I know that Tring are very pro-active re juniors. Cheers.

Graham, I am aware of RBF but have never been there. I hear there are some good roach and perch.
Have you tried the former trout fishery at Sheephouse Lane? Lot's of tench so I hear.

Hi Dave. Yes lots up to about 5lb (there are also a few large Pike and a couple of v big grass carp)

Great fun on the Waggler.

Graham

Back