• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Youngs Purist 2 Centrepin

Sam Pottage

This may be a long shot but I might aswell give it a go.

I have a Purist 2 centrepin and the adjustable drag wheel on the spoke appears not to be working correctly. The wheel turns fine and compresses the spring that should in turn slow the spin of the spool down, however this does not happen, the spool spins the same as though no pressure is being applied.

Has anybody else encountered this problem or could anybody suggest a solution that doesn't involve sending the reel back to Masterline as it has already been back once for a different issue?!

Thanks in advance.

Sam

the spring sould move a slide plate ,with a notch that makes contact with the spindle causing friction / a slowing down .

is the slide plate stuck ?

Steven, the slide plate is free to move, I know what you mean about the contact with the spindle. I still cant figure out why it isn't making contact. Its driving me mad.

Hi Sam,

I wonder if there should have been a seperate piece on the end of the sliding plate, kind of like a brass brake shoe or whatever, and it has become detached and fallen out, and thus the plate alone is not long enough? Just a thought....

Cheers, Dave

in the time its taken to get a possible answer on here , it could have gone back to youngs and had the work required done , more than likely FOC too

Sam, from what I remember when I borrowed a Purist some years ago, the spool may not be sat quite right.
It appears to be on but needs to click back a few more mm's
- screw drag completely off and pull spool release back put on spool then retry.

With the spool off can you see the drag plate throuigh the spindle hole?
If not some part is "broken" - then contact Youngs
If so try a clean and oil.

Sam, from what I remember when I borrowed a Purist some years ago, the spool may not be sat quite right.
It appears to be on but needs to click back a few more mm's
- screw drag completely off and pull spool release back put on spool then retry.

With the spool off can you see the drag plate throuigh the spindle hole?
If not some part is "broken" - then contact Youngs
If so try a clean and oil.

Thanks Darryl, I took the spool off and couldn't see the drag plate, I screwed the drag wheel down and it still didn't appear in the spindle hole. I thought it might be a problem with the springs on the spoke, as even when the drag wheel was fully screwed down, the drag plate still wasn't visible through the spindle hole. I think the springs may have been over compressed at some point and therefore it takes a lot of turning of the drag wheel to compress them down to move the drag plate. I took the spoke off, stretched the springs out a little and it seems to be working fine now. Thanks for the info.

Hi Sam,
one other point to look at, the ratchet can be adjusted for left hand and right hand, try spinning the reel with the ratchet on right hand wind, then try it on left hand wind, there should be a difference, it sounds complicated but if that is the problem, it takes two minutes to rectify.
good luck mate.

Back