• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

yes or no to groundbait in winter!

Jonathan Jones

Just wont your thoughts on using groundbait in winter!

1) do you use it or not in colder water?
2) do you mix your groundbait more sticky to stop in feeder longer?
3) do you put eneything in your groundbait" ie pellets/hemp
4) do you use a smaller feeder and still cast often! or bigger feeder and cast less often?

whot are your fave mix for this time of year :)

1/Yes
2/I mix it according to the flow,in faster water I will use a firmer mix so it doesn't break down too quickly.
3/Yes,micro pellets and a just a few larger pellets.
4/Smaller feeder and cast less often.

I'm still getting a few bites in the colder temperatures on pellets and using the hemp and halibut groundbait if the water level is normal and cheesy garlic mix groundbait with garlic flavoured meat hookbait if the river is carrying extra water and coloured.

Bites can be hard to come by in the colder weather and sometimes you have to wait several hours,even on the prolific middle trent.In my experience once you get the first bite the second one follows soon after.

1/Yes
2/I mix it according to the flow,in faster water I will use a firmer mix so it doesn't break down too quickly.
3/Yes,micro pellets and a just a few larger pellets.
4/Smaller feeder and cast less often.

I'm still getting a few bites in the colder temperatures on pellets and using the hemp and halibut groundbait if the water level is normal and cheesy garlic mix groundbait with garlic flavoured meat hookbait if the river is carrying extra water and coloured.

Bites can be hard to come by in the colder weather and sometimes you have to wait several hours,even on the prolific middle trent.In my experience once you get the first bite the second one follows soon after.
Thanks steve for your reply" iv tried the sonubaits cheesey garlic groundbait" but never done eney good when using! the pellets are ok!

And Wow 118 looked at thread and only 1 reply! Come on guys FFS :eek:

Method feeder,mix fishmeal /pellet groundbait to hold firm with a few pellets in the mix.Set a young lad up today who wanted to catch his first Barbel,Method feeder,small hook with banded pellet.First fish 9lb and then he went and caught another 11 barbel.I think i have helped create a Barbel fisherman.Two weeks ago i showed him some river carp and he managed to get one,he thought it was the record chub.last week on his own he had 5 river carp from the same swim all on the method and groundbait.

mark"
Top stuff with the young lad! He"s defo a barble fisher for life after that good catch! Cannot show me to catch a few extra also can you lol :D

Iv never tried a method feeder on the river mark! Do you use the carp guys feeders like the Fox? or the match method feeders like preston?
Do you still use the short hooklink around 3-5 inch and push bait in groundbait?

will have to try this on the severn!

I really do not think it matters what type method feeder you use, its the fact the fish has to come to the feeder to eat and when its cold they are not chasing all over the swim.We set up a match style flat method,fairly stiff mixwith a packet Korum hooklength and banded pellet(8mm).Method fishing is very effective in winter.You can vary hooklengths as needs, if you get lots of knocks but no pickups go short, fish 2 rods and compare to a normal feeder, i think you will be surprised.

Back