• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

WYE FISHING-ANYONE BEEN RECENTLY

Tim Speller

Gents/Ladies

Off to the wye 2nd July, (Barbel & Fly) ..Has anyone been recently.... and has experience of the river and specifically areas and which have Vehicle access, for both fly & Course within the same beat.

Many Thanks.

Tim, have a look at the Wye and Usk website, most stretches have vehicle access and catch reports or look at Aramstone on Facebook

Gents/Ladies

Off to the wye 2nd July, (Barbel & Fly) ..Has anyone been recently.... and has experience of the river and specifically areas and which have Vehicle access, for both fly & Course within the same beat.

Many Thanks.
Tim,
You could also try Angling Dreams as I know they have beats with vehicle access.

Hi Tim,
I was up there this week.
To my knowledge, not that many beats have vehicle access along the bank.
Lower Hill Court is one, and Middle Hill Court has parking right on the river and various pegs nearby, but
you cannot drive along the bank.
Coarse and game on the same beat? I'm not sure how that would work as with WUF I would assume you'd have to fork out for a Salmon ticket.
Some of the upper Wye beats above Hay might be an option.
Bit of 'tinternet research might help.

Think most of the beats above Hay - certainly erwood to Builth will probably be game only - and none to my knowledge have vehicle access like the middle stretches. The red lion Bredwardine has beat 6 which is day ticket and is driveable if you have a 4x4. The straight above the bridge is wadeable and can be fished for fly and coarse on day ticket. I have caught on both methods on that stretch. You can wade almost all the way down to the bridge from below the rapid / gulley at the top of the straight There are areas that a good float fishing too. The top end of the beat is deeper water to the bend and limited access because of the high bank which should be approached with caution as it is undercut in a lot of places , but seeing as the barbel have only just been spawning to last weekend the likelihood is the barbel will still be in the faster oxygenated water. waders are a must , chest waders even better. Did well opening weekend. Had 20 chub to 5lb on trotting gear and 2 Barbel to double figure all from faster water on trotted meat

Your information is very much appreciated !... Red Lion first stop next Sunday. Thank you Simon.
Hi Tim. There's a few posts about the Red Lion beat at Bredwardine on this forum. I've not fished it for years, but we were able to drive along most of it "back in the day".

Your information is very much appreciated !... Red Lion first stop next Sunday. Thank you Simon.
No worries Tim. I may see you down there hangover permitting ( wedding in Bredwardine on saturday 🍻🍻😁😁) As I said - the track is driveable but a 4x4 is advisable as it’s very rutty in places.

Back