• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wychwood Extricator

I'm looking for a rod for my lad for barbel and margin carp. I want a 9ft one so it will be easy for him to handle and then I'll spend less time taking it from the trees.

For me I generally use a Peregrine 1.5lb avon for the Dane, I've also got the GTI and that's plenty of backbone for the river, I've been looking at the Wychwood Extricator for him as it's cheap enough and short enough. Got a much higher rating though. Anyone got one that could recommend it - main use is small river barbel and margin carp;fish of up to 10lb mostly - or anything similar that's the same price?

Had a look at the rod through a search on here, and I don't think you could go wrong with that rod, I have a Wychood Rapier barbel rod and a Extremis, both are fine blanks and would be sturdy enough for your youngster I am sure.
Wychwood rods seem to be good for the money throughout the range, and you just pay for the rod not the name.

Hi tim, I have the wychwood rod that you speak of and it would be ideal for a youngster.not an absolute poker and nicely made.will land anything.this brand is underrated in my opinion.i have the barbel special.great rod for the money
Albert

I've still got the Rogue that I bought to get me into it, going to sell it this year but it's a great rod. I've found that I prefer an 11ft rod for the size of river. Think Wychwood are great value like you say, I was just worried that it might be a little overgunned but it seems to have good reviews and could be used for his spinning / piking rod as well.

Tim, I think the Extricators are 2.75 tc, as an option you could consider one of these,

TFG Compact Commercial 10ft ( 2.5lb ) Carp Rod - Last few to clear

These are 2.5tc and designed for larger carp on commercials so would be ideal for 10lb fish you mention. As for qlty, have no idea, perhaps a look on one of the match forums would reveal something.
I did read a thread on the Cemex site about using stalker type rods for general carping and one guy says he uses them all the time and casts up to 70 yds with them (Extricators) so maybe they will be too beefy for the lad ? Last thing you want is hook pulls close in when he hooks a decent fish !

Good luck,

Nick

ive got wychwood ,,its obviously beefier than a barbel rod,i use it mainly for piking and margin stalking for carp but have caught barbel on it.. its not a broom handle and is quite forgiving,very robust rod,good value for money for a little stalking rod,,even better as I only paid 15 quid for mine :)

I use a pair of Extricators for piking when out in my boat,and find them quite forgiving in the tip.I think the lad in the Crabtree carp programme the other week,would have had an easier time with a rod of a more controllerable length,as trying to "keep the rod up" when it's 12 ft long was physically draining for the lad.

Hello Tim,
I bought a pair of Extricator 6' rods back in the spring for carp fishing on the local canal. The rods were rated at 2.5lb but I found them much stiffer, indeed pulling more like alb or more on the Avons. Wychwood don't have a rating for them on the website and I have notice some vendors are describing them as 2.75lb. Either way, I have found for playing average 8-10lb carp the rods are far too stiff compared with my old 2.25lb ABU specimens. Shame I broke the tip on both of the ABUs extricating myself from the undergrowth after catching carp off the top :(

Maybe the 9' is more forgiving but I'd try before you buy.

Stephen

How about trying to find an old but good quality fibreglass rod. Hardy made some good ones which often appear on ebay for example R. Walker Avon and No. 1 Carp. The blanks will be more forgiving for a junior angler.

If you do go this route make sure they are in top condition with original makers rod bag and you will have an appreciating asset.

Will the lad be float fishing or ledgering ?
I have been using one of the Korum CS series rods for my perch fishing and it is a lovely rod for the money, pencil thin, extremely light, mine is the 11ft float but they do a 10ft feeder, if he will be ledgering in the main then the feeder would be a good bet and no doubt could be used for a float in the margins. My float rod has handled rogue carp to just over double figures and it handled it no problem.
They are designed for commercials hence the CS, Commercial Series.
Might be worth a look...................... and they are a fiver more than an Extricator !

It's for ledgering /freelining in a small river / margin work. I don't want to go over 9ft as I've got a 11ft avon that he can have when he's a bit bigger. Consensus of people that have got the rod seems to be positive, I'm going to start him on a spinning rod which is overgunned but I already have it so no outlay. If he's enjoying the fishing, I'll go for the Wychwood. Thanks for all your responses.

Back