• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

wychwood extending landing net handle.

Chris Avis

No Longer a Member
Apologies for another landing net handle post, but has anybody got there hands on one of these yet? It looks very similar to the drennan one but will it have the locking problems??

Wow over 200 looks at the thread but no input, either these aint selling or people are happy with what they've got?

i bought the drennan handle and used it on a few outings..couldnt get on with it as it came loose very easy in the flow and ended up trying to land a barbel while worrying about loosing the net and handle, kept having to twist it while it was in the water as once its come loose it trys to extend out and down the river:rolleyes:
then saw the gardner one in a tackle shop had a good look over it and bought it..never looked back no problems with it what so ever and it seems to have a slight taper to the extending bit so if it does move out while in use it locks itself tight again
and no bloody twisting it while its in the water to lock it back up all the time

Only my opinion tho ;)

Not sure what locking mechanism the Wychwood has and quite difficult to get more information than the regurgitated manufacturers bumph on various pages.
Twist and lock - of the two handles that I have owned (Fox Stalker Big Fish and Drennan), the Fox was the most reliable of the two. This worked on a cam lock which allowed you to include a restraining cord inside the handle - minimising the 'sailing down the river' possibility.
I am happy with the Gardner handle as this has seen quite a bit of use. Mine reaches to 14' should I need it and find it handy for 'sympathetically trimming' undergrowth and weed with a blade cutter.
Cheers
Bob

Back