• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wreck fishing rig advice

Mark Nicholls

Senior Member & Supporter
Myself and a few mates have a day out from Newhaven four or five times a year.

I've always hired or borrowed tackle, but have just invested in a Shakespeare Ugly Stick 18-25lb (maybe a bit light) and a Penn 321GT2 reel.

It's normally fairly basic wreck / smooth ground fishing and the rigs often seem to me to be a bit crude - big lead, big hook, paternoster style etc.

We normally catch a few (cod,pollack,doggies,pout etc) but I wondered if anyone could suggest any rigs/tactics which might help a numpty newbee ?

Thanks
Mark

Invest in some 30lb fireline, learn to tie a good leader knot to connect the braid to heavy mono(rubbing leader, 20-30ft), use long hooklenghts(6ft plus), and either make or buy ball shaped leads, they hold really well and you will need a lot less weight than more conventional shaped leads, and keep it simple. If you have not tried braid, you will be amazed at the difference it makes in deep waterSomething else to try, circle hooks for bait fishing.the varivas ones from Veals are good, 6/0 -8/0 for conger, cod etc.
peter

Thank you very much Peter.

I was thinking of Braid so I'll buy some Fireline.

What knot do you recommend for leader - albright ?

Cheers
Mark

For me Berkley Whiplash is better than Fireline,and Power Pro is better than Whiplash, but they all do the job, Power Pro is very thin, and cuts through the tide like a hot knife through butter .........I use a Spider hitch for connecting braid to leader.. gives the same strength as a Bimini but easier to tie.
Be aware that braid rubbing against the hull of the boat can result in a breakage very easily.
I myself go as low as 16lb braid for light boat work, married to a Shimano 3500B baitrunner and an Abu telecast 12ft quivertip boat rod... very sporting, and I have landed some pretty big fish on this gear, biggest being a Tope of about 40lb (an accidental catch when fishing for bream ) and also some big Smoothhound.
Once you get the bug for sea fishing, either boat or beach, it almost , but not quite takes over from Barbel.
As far as rigs go, I find KISS rigs do the job, dont complicate matters, for Pollock, a 12ft trace with a Redgill or similar, run off a Boom or Zip slider will always do the job, Ray will take simple single or pennel rigged fish fillets fished hard on the bottom at anchor, Bass ... well, they like Live sandeel fished off a long trace , anything up to 15 feet or more , bumped along the bottom as the boat drifts over sandbanks.. there are so many different rigs.. I suggest that you might visit World Sea fishing website, they have a wealth of information on rigs etc.

Good luck.

Dave

Last edited:
Each to his/her own on braids, but my experience with whiplash in various BS,s was not good. Fireline is a tad underrated on BS, whereas whiplash is heavily overrated, not tried powerpro so no comment.
Joining fireline to a rubbing leader, I find a simple overhand knot, but twice through the loop in the leader, then a 5 turn grinner(waterknot) around the leader, plenty of spit and pull tight. Pull the leader knot tight first around the braid, I,ve used this for some hefty conger(80+) without a problem.
peter

Thanks a lot Dave / Peter - very helpful.

I use PowePro for a lot of my barbel fishing but I've now bought some Fireline for the boat fishing which I'm sure will be fine.
Wish you hadn't mentioned Veals Peter - I spent a small fortune with them this morning (no ball shaped leads available though).

I've found this site quite informative - http://www.sea-fishing.org - great knot tying illustrations.

Supposed to be going out Monday, dependant on weather.

Lot to learn but your advice has been very useful as a starting point gents.

Thanks
Mark

Mark, I try and do as much boat fishing as I can during the year , mainly travelling down to weymouth along with a five day trip to Alderney each year. Also doing a few hartlepool trips. For me I would use no more than 20lb braid, the choice is yours but I have used STREN or Berkley Crystal to good use. Berkley Crystal is white but dont let that put you off its no problem.

For any sort of wrecking I would go to 30lb braid. Ive caught good tope and conger on 30lb braid.

Pollocking with red gills or shads ... Bream, plaice, turbot and bass ,15-20lb braid.

Mark, dont go mad, ive learnt over the years that south coast fishing is a lot different to north east stuff. light rods , light rigs and you will enjoy your sea fishing a lot more.

If youre anchoring over a wreck for conger or tope try a simple running leger link with flapper mackeral. This will catch doggies, bull huss. Use 5/0 - 9/0 hooks for them.

on rough ground drifting with a good tide I would use shads/ red gill for pollack.

if there is any bass around try red gill or live sand eel if you can get it.

The rod is good , dont go mad with weight , like any other type of fishing , go as light as you can, the modern rods and reels make sea angling much more enjoyable than it was when broom handles were the norm.

andy

Last edited:
Thanks for that Andy.

I'm trying to be as 'sporting' as possible - don't like the broom handle approach.

I've caught plenty of cod/pollack over the last few years but would love to catch a decent bass - here's hoping.

Cheers
Mark

Unfortunately boat didn't go out yesterday - 25-35mph winds.
Now got all this lovely, shiny new gear and chomping at the bit to use it.
Next planned trip is late May - not sure I can wait that long.
Perhaps I'll use it for large gravel pit carping. ;)

Back