• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wraysbury River

Philip Webb

One of my clubs has just got a stretch of the Wraysbury River.Its between the Colnbrook bypass and the old Bath Rd.Looking at google earth it looks like a small stream running alongside the M25.
Anybody know anything about it ?
Phil.W

Sounds like it could be the Colne, a stretch that Bath road piscatorial club have controlled up until now. Fished it back in the late 90's and it threw reported fish up to 13lb then, i believe they go some what bigger these days. Parking was always a problem with vehicles being broken into then, Also there is a lot of disturbance from aircraft in and out of Heathrow.
It could be this stretch.....

Regards John

Hi John,
its not the Colne although it no doubt ends up there.It looks much smaller.
I'm familiar with the BRPS bit of the Colne,its not very far away from the bit I am interested in.
Phil.W

Hi John,
its not the Colne although it no doubt ends up there.It looks much smaller.
I'm familiar with the BRPS bit of the Colne,its not very far away from the bit I am interested in.
Phil.W

If you Google it, Wikipedia gives it as a branch off of the Colne which forks, with one arm feeding the Colnebrook, while the other eventually rejoining the Colne shortly before it reaches the Thames. The couple of pictures they provide look rather grim, but it could be better elsewhere.

Cheers, Dave.

it's not BRPS colne as I'm a current member, they will keeping that for a long time.
it's a tributary, shallow in winter, almost empty in summer, I'm sure there are a few fish but what?
how long intertype have held this bit.
well worth a fish in the floods i would think.

Last edited:
"how long intertype have held this bit"
Only this year.Not open for fishing yet and maybe not before the season ends.
Phil.W

Tip: look much much further down the stream. I was only mentioning (in an email to one, M. Wilson Esq, the other day) a long exploratory walk and fishing trip I did as a small child, to a near-Staines spot on the stream that when I fished it over forty years later, well...

Not much fun to be had in the rest of Wyrardisbury (old spelling), with even the chub running markedly smaller than in the main river. In the mid 1970s I had miraculous fly-caught wild browns from the stream, but that's another story.

Last edited:
Back