• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Worm presentation...

Andreas Opitz

Greetings everyone,

A friend and I have recently sourced A LOT of huge lob worms and we've started a simple wormery using advice from a Bob Gill article (thanks Bob).

One thing I'd be keen on learning more about is peoples opinion on how best to hook them?

Currently I'm cutting them in half and hooking (size 10) them about an inch from the top with a bit of rubber band to keep them on. Any advice further advice would be appreciated?

Thanks. Sounds like the simple way is the best way. Must admit I thought a size 10 hook was big enough but by the sound of things I should be going bigger i.e. size 8 or 6

You can go size 4 or 6. As said, hooked just the once. I have used up to 3 lobs per hook. Works wonders sometimes. Overall a single lob is a great bait for chub and perch. Had a few barbel on them, but not loads to be fair and even roach and tench.

?

Try hooking through the end that you cut ,when match fishing always got more results when fishing it this way as they seemed to go for the juice.Also used to cut with finger nails as it seemed more ragged and looked more natural.

Last edited:
Try half a lob on the shank of a size 6 and a whole lob through the saddle; as mentioned the scent is a killer for many fish as it releases lots of amino acids.

atb

Paul

When using a size 8 or 10 I tend to hook one through the saddle, then nip the tail off and hook that through the cut end. Anything bigger for multiples.

I hook through tail, thread down as far as possible, hook through just before saddle and out just after, then hook through head... so worm hangs head down as I believe that worms are taken head first usually as they slip down the throat easier that way...... No proof of so as such but do seem to connect with more bites that way and probably more important... I've confidence in it! :)

Usually size 6 hook, occasionally a 4 or even a long shank 2 at times....

If I ever had to have only one bait allowed - that would be a good ol' lobworm.
Use them as my first bait whatever I fish for - be it barbel, bream, tench, roach, carp,...
and they rarely fail me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thread this...

going to try a few of these ideas and find one i am happy with..

Now, can anyone tell me how to stop eels taking worm :p:rolleyes:

Back