• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Winter Weirpools

Stewart Harris

Hello chaps, have any of you had much in the way of positive experiences with fishing weirpools for barbel in the winter?? I've recently gained permission to fish a small pool that has a low population of reasonably sized barbel but I'm not sure whether the fish will remain resident in the pool throughout winter or move downstream to where the flow is more sedate? (where I can't fish:mad:)
I've fished plenty of these types of swims during the warmer months and caught but I just can't get my head round this sort of area being suitable for any fish once the river has 4 or 5ft of extra water charging through it.:( Can anyone give me a confidence boost before I'm able to get out and try it:confused:

Stewart,

Do not worry as some barbel never leave their weirpool no matter how high the river gets.

Tight lines,

Hugo

Hi Stewart
Is the bit just beyond the sill fairly deep. If so you will have a foot and a half of raging white water, and underneath that the quietest bit of water in the pool, which will be stacked with fish. Big heavy bait dropper required.
Hope this works next time we get a load of rain.
Shaun

Hi Stewart, I've had some excellent results from weirpools during the winter, taking fish in both low and high water conditions, and in times of low water/air temps. Like any stretch of river you fish, its best to get there throughout the season, in all conditions to get to know the productive areas.
When you see your weirpool with extra water on, the areas to have a go at should be fairly obvious I would have thought. And as Hugo rightly states, there will always be resident fish regardless of conditions, plus the chance of a few visitors!? So jump in (not literally) and give it a go and I'm sure you'll get your rewards.

Darren

Cheers for the encouragement fellas:) This weir really seems to push through I'm afraid, the area directly below the cill is far too snaggy and at the moment rough to fish. However I have found a nice clean gravelly area just of the back of the main flow so I'm hoping that when conditions are a bit better there will be fish there willing to feed...oh and suffice to say my first trip was a blank:(

Hi Stewart,

Just wondered if you'd managed to get anywhere near your Weir so far this winter? Or has it become too dangerous to fish with all this extra water we're getting?

Darren

Stewart it takes time to learn your weir pool but its worth the effort,
either side ot the weir if available is a good winter spot, the shelf at the tail is all year round,most weirs have a deeper spot somewhere along the left or right edge, try casting/dropping a lead that is just light enough for the currents to move it and feel around the likely and unlikely spots and watch how the line behaves! most weirs barbel move down the river occasionally but most return within 24 hours as they tend to prefer their normal haunts, a bit daunting at
starting out but well worth persevering and trying to figure out the weir moods and the fishes moods, good luck:)

Back