• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Winter fishing for Mullet

Hello Mark,
I would say that Mullet fishing in the Winter is not a viable option as they are very much a warm water species, and the Summer ones are hard enough to hook. Good size Bass can be caught through the Winter from the South coast, but they are not that common.
All the best
Colin

mullet fishing in winter is doable, with cage feeder and quivertip usually, but it is VERY difficult and marck specific, to the point that i have never bothered. However, it can often sort out the largest fish and serious mullet heads do fish all year round.
Personally i would stick to the summer months with the float rod.

Hi men ,

Cheers for advice , its just the season / year is moving on quick , and I was thinking of the Avon / stour estuary somewhere .

James , you never know whats in the GU canal , but im up for a trip somewhere .

Hatter

Mullet

I seem to remember Henry Gilbey doing a piece on winter Mulleting a couple or more years ago,so far as I recall he was quite successful,or at least the guy he was with was.I have seen Mullet In Padstow inner harbour taking bread off the top in February,so at least it may warrant a look at.

Dave

Hi men ,

Cheers for that mate . Hows things with you ?. Guess its perch time for you coming up then?. Could not make a pint when you had your barbel social , but will pop in one day to see Paul Thompson as well , as he is a Hatter !.

Hatter

Mark,

Bit of an odd year for various reasons, not as much barbel fishing or catching getting done. I guess the urgency to keep catching regular barbel after 20 odd years is just not there any longer. I am much happier to sit it out in difficult places for the chance of a real lump; and that means far fewer fish.

Will be after the perch again soon and need to up that pb after getting the bug last year.

Getting very switched onto sea species at the moment and will be down in cornwall next week trying to tempt a huss. We'll see.

If you happen to be down this way, let us know. We haves good beer down ere. ;-)

Paul

Hi Mark,
I absolutely love mullet fishing. Always have a few hours around fathers boat in one of the IOW harbours with the float rod and pin. I could be wrong but I think it's one of the mysteries where mullet go in the winter, stay in the harbour? migrate out to sea...?

I've never really tried for them in the winter, but I will have a poke about, next time I'm down there and look for signs of them.

Ian

Back