• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

winter fishing and gas dont work well ?

Gerry Giles

Senior Member & Supporter
if your struggling in the winter with butane gas not working due to freezing conditions we all know gas canister covers dont work and can make it worse unless you slip a disposable hand warmer in it

you can sleep with it Pee on it etc etc but trust me this is the forever solution so it well worth keeping a silicon wrist band and a strip of copper roof flashing in your bag

and this very best forever solution IMO is explained and demonstrated in the video its very Simple !....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HiTrgT-Dd0

Last edited:
That's cool.
I use a Coleman Sportster with Aspen 4 fuel, works well down to minus temps, but they can be a bit fierce and incinerate your pies.

If you get a windshield like THIS

You can put the gas canister inside it with the stove. The ambient heat soon has the stove performing as it should.

If it's cold enough to affect a gas stove I use my MSR dragonfly. Excellent bit of kit that does require an annual service,,,,,,,,

,,,,,,,,every few years😏

Gents I dont actually use the mod myself any more :)

I just thought it MIGHT HELP someone that uses the lightweight folding stoves that fit on top of a gas canister in the cold like the type in the picture
I have propane and aspen fuelled stoves these days not to mention 3 different Trangia stoves

Attachments

• stove folding.jpg
    stove folding.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 216
get a kelly kettle with cooking attachments , great fun , brings out the boy scout in you 😄
I have a Cobb one that fits my Cobb BBQ :cool: it acts as a fire starter and when the waters boiled its ready to cook on win win !

That's cool.
I use a Coleman Sportster with Aspen 4 fuel, works well down to minus temps, but they can be a bit fierce and incinerate your pies.
I used to use the Coleman Sportstwer but after several incidents boat fishing for pike in winter on the big waters decided to get rid. It was very good at boiling water quickly with the higher calorific value petrol. But was always concerned with petrol residues on my hands transferring to my baits.

I used to use the Coleman Sportstwer but after several incidents boat fishing for pike in winter on the big waters decided to get rid. It was very good at boiling water quickly with the higher calorific value petrol. But was always concerned with petrol residues on my hands transferring to my baits.
Marigold gloves fixes that problem m8

I use Aspen 4 Alkylate Petrol in my Coleman stoves and find it works so much better and non of the horrible smell that unleaded Petrol gives
I still got my 1st Coleman I bought and used to run it on leaded petrol then when unleaded petrol came out the problems started the genny gets gummed up due to all the additive`s they put in for the modern car engines
and its got worse as the car engines have changed now the fumes are highly dangerous !!

Coleman Fuel is ok but very expensive some people use Panel wipe that is in fact Naphtha but beware there is 2 grades the cheaper one is cut with another product Coleman fuel is in fact Naphtha !! but the daddy is Aspen 4 no question I pay £18 for 5 litres its available from some garden centres or places that sell motor mowers
this stuff is amazing you can leave it in your mower for over a year and it will start no problems I would never ever go back to using unleaded petrol as to be it would be just like sitting next to a running cars Exhaust !!!!

Attachments

• stove low.jpg
    stove low.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 189
  • stove high.jpg
    stove high.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Back