• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

winter barbel fishing on middle & tidal trent

Andrew Richardson

Senior Member & Supporter
hi wondering if anybodys got any tips on fishing trent in winter ie river levels ,water tempreture, baits, tidal or middle trent what type of swims ect ect

its quite an hard question this Andy, but here goes in as short a view as possible.
I try to fish the river when its either rising up to the point of that I cant keep a lead in. then I will fish when its receeding and I think the rubbish has gone through. if its snow water forget it, if its as it has been so far ie like today get down and fish, im going tomorrow. feeder fishing still works but cast in every hour or so, definately used hemp, a sticky groundbait too, use smaller feeders, the scent trail is most important, most fish come within 15 mins of my cast so the scent trail works imo. I always fish on a rising temp, but will always fish if its above 6C, if its falling fast i wont go, if its say 5c and rising its definately worth it. swims wise, well most of my winter venues are slower areas with more depth, fast shallow areas i will avoid. Baits wise, my all time winter bait still is 4 x 8mm elips superglued to an hair. I could go on but it doesnt matter what you use if you arent confident in the bait. confidence is the key. Prime times for bites will always be an hour either side of sunrise, midday and an hour either side of dusk. I could go on but sometimes I cant explain why I go I just get that feeling I might get one or two or it just ESP lol.

hope this helps

its quite an hard question this Andy, but here goes in as short a view as possible.
I try to fish the river when its either rising up to the point of that I cant keep a lead in. then I will fish when its receeding and I think the rubbish has gone through. if its snow water forget it, if its as it has been so far ie like today get down and fish, im going tomorrow. feeder fishing still works but cast in every hour or so, definately used hemp, a sticky groundbait too, use smaller feeders, the scent trail is most important, most fish come within 15 mins of my cast so the scent trail works imo. I always fish on a rising temp, but will always fish if its above 6C, if its falling fast i wont go, if its say 5c and rising its definately worth it. swims wise, well most of my winter venues are slower areas with more depth, fast shallow areas i will avoid. Baits wise, my all time winter bait still is 4 x 8mm elips superglued to an hair. I could go on but it doesnt matter what you use if you arent confident in the bait. confidence is the key. Prime times for bites will always be an hour either side of sunrise, midday and an hour either side of dusk. I could go on but sometimes I cant explain why I go I just get that feeling I might get one or two or it just ESP lol.

hope this helps

Well put Jon. Spot on!!! I mainly get the feeling to go. i have always had to wait for bites, as Jon says a scent trail is untouchable in the winter!

hi jon that seems like good advise, when your on about temps do you mean air or water, if water where do you find this info as i live 45 miles from trent and dont fancy driving that to not fish

hi jon that seems like good advise, when your on about temps do you mean air or water, if water where do you find this info as i live 45 miles from trent and dont fancy driving that to not fish

The trent warms up from cold weather about 1/2 a degree a day from cold weather. Apart from today when did we last have a frost? Look at night temps opposed to day its been an heatwave in winter terms, there munching its just finding them. I use my local res as a datum, today it was 6.2 and its always colder than the trent in winter, in summer its always warmer. I live the same distance, the more you go the easier you can guess/workout.

River temp

Jon Frisby;The trent warms up from cold weather about 1/2 a degree a day from cold weather. Apart from today when did we last have a frost? Look at night temps opposed to day its been an heatwave in winter terms, there munching its just finding them. I use my local res as a datum, today it was 6.2 and its always colder than the trent in winter, in summer its always warmer. I live the same distance, the more you go the easier you can guess/workout.

Spot on Jon the middle was 6.8 today. Worth fishing yes it was.

Hello fellas, I've just noticed this particular string, about an hour after my lengthy diatribe on the MiddleTrent reports pages.

It's reassuring to see some regulars who DO consider water temps. to be significant and successful angling factors that should be noted and publicised for everyone's benefit.

Regards

Roger

i like it jon, what you said covers just about all rivers in the country,the only thing i might add is if its been cold(freezing)for a week or so then 1 degree up is still 1 degree up and i have caught when this happens, but bang on ,if anglers did what you have wrote ,they wont go far wrong,
regards jim

Back