• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Winter Baits

Paul Pittman

I'd like to continue using Boilie and pellet on the Thames as it seems to be a pretty good tactic but was wondering if anyone else using this method changes to lower oil boilie and pellet in the colder months?

Boilies are fine, not much oil in the average boilie.

High oil pellets are probably not so effective in cold water but should probably still work through the autumn and in the spring too.

Personally, I'll be easing up on the use of the hemp oil as it gets colder for sure.

Stephen

Boilies are fine in the colder months with a paste wrap also robin red pellets have low oil content which i find fine in the colder months work well also they do.

If you are really lucky, the boilie you use may contain winterized oil (although not many manufacturers seem to use it these days)....but certainly those boilies are unaffected. To be honest, a lot of fuss used to be made about the problem of oil content in winter, but it doesn't get mentioned so much now. Bit like the 'Fishmeals don't work in winter' thing we were all told back then, which has since been debunked by most 'experts' :rolleyes:

If you think about it, the fat content of the various versions of spam we use is way higher than any boilie...and that is animal fat that sets hard in even relatively mild weather...but that still works.

Suck it and see...odds on your boilies will work as well as ever :D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
I tend to use Caviar and Cranberry so i've had a chat with Jules at Carp Company and he is going to winterize some for me.

Im more concerned about the pellets to be honest but the CC lads are going to sort me out there as well!

Back