• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Why oh why, the usual suspects

Paul Garner

Mod's appologies for this post and please feel free to lock,delete or whatever but why oh why do the usual aholes feel the need to polute a prefectly good thread with their ramblings. If you have nothing better to say then shut the f up or take it to pm or as I have done create a new thread where you can talk rowlocks. I get more disillusioned with BFW every day and it's nearly always the same people.

Regards
Paul

Sympathise with your sentiments Paul, but have to agree with John, don't give him the space mate.

Ian.

Know where you're coming from Paul, but as John and Ian have said the best thing is to ignore it.

Paul - I think it symptomatic of a long, cold winter. Summer threads are almost civilised. :) In my opinion, the good far outweigh the bad and Steve's advice (if you really can't bear it) is spot on.

Paul, are you talking about the thread where an angler goes fishing in unfavourable conditions, using "unconventional" tactics and catches what is according to the BFW League the biggest fish so far this season, and some of the forum members (from the comfort of their armchairs) are jealous and start being naughty???

Paul, are you talking about the thread where an angler goes fishing in unfavourable conditions, using "unconventional" tactics and catches what is according to the BFW League the biggest fish so far this season, and some of the forum members (from the comfort of their armchairs) are jealous and start being naughty???

Unbelievable, isn't it? Apparently, all that praise is "embarassing". :rolleyes:

R.

I find it hard to undrestand the logic when a Moderator can pull the plug on a thread because it is now deemed to be boring, but such green eyed vitriolic posts are allowed to continue. I thought that this was why the new site was set up!!

What some see as green eyed I see differently. I've ignored posting in that thread totally as I don't want to blow smoke up anyone's backside. Conversely, I don't want everyone to think that I'm denigrating the achievment. Everyone knows it's a stunning catch. It's not a case of green eyed monster to not say so or to suggest that the backslapping is a little over the top.

However, what I really can't be bothered with is the ongoing and personal bitching between grown and intelligent men. Sometimes it's quite overt but mostly there's an undercurrent of it in plenty of threads that certain individuals post in. I never realised just how deep some of these little divisions, cliques and spats run. I doubt that I'll ever realise just how many there are. I hope that I can avoid getting sucked into it all but suspect that as soon as you talk to certain people you gain the enemity of certain others for no other reason.
Very, very strange this barbel fishing lark.

Hi Colin,

The moderator concerned has recognised, publicly, that the word 'boring' was not the smartest one to use. You make a fair point though, and I think to try and answer it, the 'trigger' for modding is usually when comments become 'personal'. It's a thin line.

When I stopped the infamous thread you refer to, I received half a dozen PMs saying 'well done' and a couple saying it was wrong to do so. I still don't know whether it was or wasn't a good move, but I do know that I chose my words poorly.

The posters who do cause trouble can be ignored as said above, and usually are!

cheers,

Jon

Hi Paul

Hope you had a super Xmas.
Just for the fun of it Keith might post later today. He has stepped up his gear to 5lbs BS to catch his latest 'monster'. As we've just discussed took no longer to land as it would do on stronger gear in the summer. We've landed some super fish on light gear in the winter when it's snag free and the fish are lethargic.
Regards to Carolyn and yourself

Mike

To borrow a phrase off Paul Boote why are you bothered with the opinions of these 'no names'?
Half of these people have come to barbel fishing as failed carpers and brought their bizarre outlandish ideas of tackle and methods with them.
It's not so long ago that 4 lb mainline and 1.7lb bottom to a size 18 or 20 was normal practice when feeder fishing with hemp and caster on all our major rivers.

Hi Chaps

There have been some interesting points made recently about the use of:- “light†tackle, exhausting fish, fish handling and “balanced gearâ€!!
These points were well made and well intended and to a certain extent not un-expected.

I often use tackle that is lighter than the accepted norm, in fact I am constantly amazed at how “the norm†has, year on year accelerated away from “finesse†to “brut forceâ€!
As a bailiff and fishery officer for my club I see no end of anglers using rods up to and including 4lb T/C, lines to 30lb BS and “Big Pit Reels†in my local 3 acre lake, Ok there are Carp in there to 40lb but I seem to remember Richard Walker using a pound and a half T/C cane rod and 10lb line to catch “Clarissa†from a parrot cage of a swim on Redmere.
I know that such heavy tackle was not as available in Dick’s time as it is now, but I rather suspect that given the choice Dick would have continued to use the gear he was familiar with rather than something a lot heavier.

For me the power and action of the rod should fit the expected strain on the line, I like to “feel†the movement and motion of the fish so that I can anticipate and thus control the powerful lunges of a fish.

I think it was Gary Player who first said “The more I practice, the luckier I get†a golfing adaptation of Samuel Goldwyn’s famous quote, but it holds true for many applications, while I was match fishing many years ago I lost a couple of big fish that I had hooked on light line, these losses cost me a lot in potential winnings, I was advised to “practice†playing big fish on light gear, I did this on a small local pond that had quite a few Tench to 3lb, my self imposed rule was to use no more than 1lb hooklength.
After a while I got better at it, in the end I became very good indeed and on the way I learned a great deal about “balanced tackleâ€.
That advice won me many hundreds of pounds, landed me a lot of big fish and eventually was the reason I landed a very large Barbel recently!

For me “balanced tackle†is so important, it is also the adaptation of common sense over indoctrinated wisdom, we are constantly “advised†by the angling mags and their sponsored experts as to what we should use and buy and this power from advertising will often colour our thinking, no matter how hard one tries to ignore it.
We are also flooded with information from other sources, for example.
It is common knowledge that you should use a minimum of a 1lb 4oz test curve rod, the Barbel Society fish handling code quotes exactly this, yet what does it actually mean?

A couple of years ago I watched Mike Wilson demonstrate that he could lift a 3 pound lead weight form the ground using a 12 ft 3lb T/C carbon rod with a 4lb line, he then did exactly the same thing using only the top section of a No 5 fly rod, the fly rod top bent a lot more than the Carp rod but the weight still left the ground.

What did this prove?
That Mike has far too many fly rods??
Or.
That the words “Test Curve†on a carbon rod means nothing?

What it actually proved is that Mike knows exactly how much pressure he could place on a given strength of light line with ANY rod.

The rod is there to absorb shock, the more through action the rod, the easier it is to absorb and negate that shock, a deft touch helps, as does the use of a good reel with a well adjusted clutch, a centre pin is better because the control is not through a set of reducing gears but is more direct and here a deft touch is a distinct advantage too.
How much the rod bends is not really an issue as long as you have a concept of how much pressure you can place on a given line strength.

In water fish are similar to a submarine, they have neutral buoyancy, the weight is supported by the surrounding water, yet they still have mass and they still have thrust, it is the mass and trust that your strength of line has to deal with.
You can move a one ton mass with 6oz line, given time, but a constant 20lb thrust could not be stopped with a 10lb line no matter how long you tried.
Fish have a constant mass but variable and reducing thrust so given time and limitless space you could defeat any fish on the lightest of lines.

In actuality if you are practiced and aware of the extra strain or shock that a lunging fish places on your line you can apply a constant 2-3 lb pressure on a fish quite easily with a 4lb hooklength and that constant pressure will defeat most large fish relatively quickly.

Today I went fishing again, on the same river where I had my recent big fish, I had 3 Barbel, again on the float and pin, this time on “heavier†5lb line they went 6lb, 6lb 15 oz and just as the light failed I had this fish of 13lb 11oz.

100_5675.jpg

100_5672.jpg

She was on the bank well within ten mins and once netted I had a cup of tea, calmed down and just let her rest while still in the net, in the water as I do with all the fish I catch, time is immaterial when it comes to fish care, I would not like to have to hold my breath for any length of time having just run a 100yds and I don’t expect the fish I am lucky enough to catch to do that either, so we then set up:- scales, camera and got organised, while the fish rested in the water, we then quickly did the business and she went back swimming powerfully in a pre selected shallow run.

Balanced gear, correct fish handling and good preparation ensured she was no worse for meeting me!

Tight Lines

And if that post and catch by Keith doesn't answer all the critics questions and shut them up, I don't know what will, absolutely outstanding, quite superb...oops, sorry....better not say that, had I :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

Keith, i would love to be so good, absolutely brilliant. But get ready for another ear bashing from the green eyed monster brigade.

Keith, that was one of the most interesting and informative threads i have
read on BFW for a good while, How about an article or two from you i
have no doubt it would be of much good reading and also help in our endeavours in barbel fishing mate, also it may get you off that tea trolly for a bit;):)

Fantastic angling again ,Keith,and mate ,please,please continue to ignore the plonkers on here who are clueless about fishing,have never even picked up a float rod ,or modern feeder tackle ,and never even seen a spool of 1.7lb Bayer,or Shark line like 4lb Maxima.

After my match fishing career ,I regularly went with Stef Horak ,another brilliant light tackle man,and standard Chub gear was 13ft Drennan Superfeeder ,4lb Maxima ,50gm Kamasan Blockends ,with short 2-3" hooklinks,to usually 16-18s Drennan Superspades ,2.1 or 2.6 ,or heavy gear like 3.2 Bayer.
Apart from Giant Chub,we did get bothered by double figure Barbel ,and fish were landed to nearly 14lb .
Losses were extremely rare .

Match fishing on the famous Barbel Alley on the Severn ,it was far more common to catch barbel with great big hooks in the mouths ,and broken off hooklinks,on plainly unbalanced gear ,than it was small hooks and balanced.
Standard tackle for most feeder match boys these days would 6lb mainline to 4lb mono hooklinks for maggot ,and 8lb main and 5/6lb hooklinks for pellet.

My Wye Barbel and Chub DVD with Lee Edwards,Wye Match Record holder (316lb of float caught Chub in 5 hours),Welsh International ,illustrated and proved how proper float gear and feeder can be used to catch Big Barbel on fast powerful winter river ,without losses .
Modern tackle in the "right hands" is fantastic ,and is way better than what we used 10 or 15 years ago,and we had few problems then.

What is more of a problem is the use of mega heavy braids ,leadcore leaders ,shark hooks ,and rods built for "great whites " that appears to be des rigeurs for our humble barbel.
Sadly ,skill,and watercraft are sadly lacking these days,the old fashioned angling apprenticeship from minnows in a jam jar as kids to greater things,skills honed over many years ,with mixed species on all waters rarely the case.
More likely instant fishing,google searches,internet questions,cult gear,and camping are the way that many know and use.

The likes of Keith Speer are 1 in 10,000(thats complete guesswork on my part) or more ,and the comprehension that his achievements are possible ,is very hard for some folk to take in ,if you have never experienced it ,or done it.

It was Graham Marsden that first penned the term Barbel Police when writing about a trip to Severn Stoke from memory,in now defunct Coarse Fisherman,and I still chuckle when recalling that piece,and I am chuckling now when I read some of the stuff written on here by a few wags and sages .

With the benefit of hindsight (tis a wonderful thing),I have written and said stuff re advice that I regret ,but it has all been said with the knowledge and experience of nearly half a century of angling, a lot of water has gone under that bridge ,and we are all never too old to learn.

Anyway ,pick out the bones if you want ,it's time to go to work for the Pons.

Hi men,

I had a days trotting the other day , not for barbel , but knew that I would bump into some trout at some point. With that in mind I went with 4 lb double strength line, and those trout gave it the big one , and if anything are faster off the mark. It was a real pleasure to trot, and play those mental fish on the float , so can I ask Keith do you use a centerpin ?.

Hatter

Back