• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Which to join...Ringwood or Christchurch?

Personally go for ring wood if you want more chance of a fish for seclusion Christchurch, bear in mind the avon is a very hard river to crack I felt the stour was always a bit more manageable - miss those rivers!

Cheers Tony, I am prepared for the challenge I think...just looking forward to getting back on the rivers and fishing flowing water again with some regularity. I have been dabbling for years, mainly in the winter. I will still fish for other species in my local lakes but looking forward to more variety in my fishing this year!

Cheers Tony, I am prepared for the challenge I think...just looking forward to getting back on the rivers and fishing flowing water again with some regularity. I have been dabbling for years, mainly in the winter. I will still fish for other species in my local lakes but looking forward to more variety in my fishing this year!

Throop is not that busy sometimes and used to be reliable fo a fish or two, the severals is lovely but hard I thought....good luck u can always get good advice in ring wood tackle or avon angling in ringwood

Good luck and tight lines to you Matt,...whatever club you go with I'm sure you will enjoy yourself. The Avon and Stour are two outstanding rivers,..I would advise a good pair of polaroids and walking boots, then spend a fair bit of time on a reccy of each stretch,...you won't regret it!

Dave T.

Matt ,at the moment you will have more than enough water to fish with the rivers in flood for most of the season , I have been a member of christchurch for the last 20yrs and although IMO the club is is in limbo ie still water fishing takes prescedent the somerley estate takes some beating even if your blanking,good luck

Jamie,..you make a valid point about the flooded Avon valley,..I guess many of us who know the river well will have to have another reccy of our favourite swims when the levels permit to see what has changed. The persistant high flows will have scoured out much of the weed and riverbed ,which means a lot of legwork early next season!
I'm not sure if I can agree with your point about CAC being in limbo,..if you read the clubs forum you will know my opinion of recent events. I would like to think that the club is now moving forward and still regards it's river fisheries as the jewel in the crown in it's portfolio.
All the best Dave T.

Dave when I say in limbo it is purely down to the fact that they have lost a couple of stretches of river and given up another couple,while in the meantime taken on another Stillwater,ie mockbeggar lake for which I'm sure they will have to pay for and reading between the lines 6 months fishing on it.i am sure the committee try their best and in these hard times struggle to balance the books.They are opening up the stretch of river above Ibsley bridge for day tickets which is great we need more anglers on the river and the club needs to start promoting its self as the premier club in the south of England for river fishing.all the best. Jamie Dawson .

Hi Jamie..
I only associate RDAA and CAC with river fishing. I have to drive past many Thames Valley stillwaters that are superior to any that either club possess on my journey to the Avon or Stour. That said, stillwater anglers make up a significant proportion of theirs,..and many other clubs membership tally.
The sad truth, is that more anglers seem to prefer stillwaters and puddle-chucking than rivers nowadays,..club surveys and tackle shops testify to this.
Clubs just have to cut their cloth accordingly. Some of the more 'healthy' clubs whose waters consist of a couple of productive stretchs of river and maybe a small lake seem to buck the trend, but if they decided to rent or buy another six or eight river fisheries they would struggle to increase their membership accordingly. I think many clubs have to provide quality stillwaters to enable the carp boys to subsidise their rivers.
CAC lost the Cemex waters a few years back, so Mockbeggar is perhaps a bit of compensation for the stillwater members,..I'm hoping that CAC's river fishermen will recieve similar rewards sometime in the future,..but as you say, there will have to be a significant increase in rods on the bank for that to happen.
Dave T.

Back