• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Which stick float/trotting rod?

Paul Deans

Hi all,

I have made a pact with myself to get back on the float when the new season starts again. I have a 13ft stick float rod which is great for the smaller rivers I fish, but would like something with a bit more reach and control for fishing the Swale and Ouse.

I am not looking to win matches :))) just have a wand that will do a good workmen type job. Any reccomendations would really help me out. I dont mind new or used.

Best regards, Paul.

I have the Drennan floatmaster 13 - 15' combo, and use it for stick float on the Tees and Swale. It is a fabulous rod.

Thanks for the reply James.

Can you still get hold of them, or are they one of the older (and some would say better) Drennan rods now out of production ?

Thanks for your replies fella's.

Yes Chris, general stick work for chub etc.

Thats a serious bit of kit, love Drennan, but its a bit pricey as I also need to feed my overall angling obsession alongside this (only a fisherman would understand that!!! :).
Also, already have a 13 foot Drennan stick rod.
Any suggestions on a 15ft rod up to say a £100?

Thanks for your replies fella's.

Yes Chris, general stick work for chub etc.

Thats a serious bit of kit, love Drennan, but its a bit pricey as I also need to feed my overall angling obsession alongside this (only a fisherman would understand that!!! :).
Also, already have a 13 foot Drennan stick rod.
Any suggestions on a 15ft rod up to say a £100?

There's not too much about without going second hand. There are some bargains to be had on longer rods if you scour ebay.

Anyone used the Preston Excel 15 ft? After selling a few bits I have a bit more in my budget and was looking at these. Will they handle Barbel on a powerfull river such as the Wye?

I really am grateful that you have taken the time to reply.
By the weekend I shall be on to one, the Shimano looks good!!!!!

LOOK OUT WALLET....HERE IT COMES AGAIN :)))))

Back