• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Which quality centrepin?

Graham Hunt

Evening gents. With a birthday fast approaching i have decided to treat myself to a really nice pin. I have been periodically using a marco cortesi which has whetted my appetite, and now i am looking at one with a budget up to £200 i guess.

It isn't for barbel particularly, just general coarse fishing, trotting or stret pegging with perhaps occasional outings for barbel.

What are your recommendations please?

I have a few pins and so on a Match Aerial I have 2.5lb line for roach, on a Rapidex 4 or 6lb line for tench and on another pin 8 or 10lb line for barbel. One of the problems of a pin is loading / re-loading different breaking strain lines when you want to do some different fishing. Obviously with a fixed spool you can simply swop spools.

Now if you bought an Okuma Sheffield for say around £100 - £120 (or less!!) you could also buy a spare spool (or two) for say £50 to enable you to have spools pre-loaded with two different breaking strains of line.

That could give you the option of a good quality centre pin that you could simply and quickly adapt to different types of fishing/ species of fish.

Just a thought!

Ian - that sounds like a good idea. I wasn't aware that some pins came with spare spools. Thanks for the reply.

I do most of my barbel stick float fishing with an Okuma Sheffield Martin Bowler pin which I now prefer to the more expensive reels I have. Lightweight, smooth running and robust. Quickly and easily comes apart for cleaning too should you get a grain of sand or mud in it.

try the fred crouch wide drum , terrific real centrepin, well made and using good materials, a really robust reel and runs freely

Not quite sure why this thread was resurrected!

I got an Okuma Sheffield in the end and liked it so much I got a second one from some kind seller on this forum :)

I guess you will be looking for idea's for this years birthday then Graham :D

Having had all my pins (Aerial match, Trudex, Royal Supreme and Adcock) recently stolen i am on the look out for a trotting pin to replace by Adcock Stanton which now seen to go at £220 plus - i do not like look of the newer pins, so any suggestions re a more vintage pin for stick float/loafer use?

Sorry about the nicked pins Paul.
There are many guys on here who are far more clued up on centerpins than me, but I have three and love using them.
I guess the most valuable is a Richard Carter Aerial Perfection,..and the most precious is my late dad's Mordex Merlin,..but the pin I enjoy using the most is my old Grice & Young Avon Royal Supreme, which can be brought relatively cheaply.
It all comes down to personal preferance I guess. I borrowed a Trudex from a mate for a few Avon roach sessions years ago,...hated it,..caught nothing but chub!
Your post made me look at a few ' pin ' websites and I was amazed at the number of pins that are available,..new and traditional.
Being an engineer I have always been tempted to make my own, but have never seemed to have found the time. The nearest I got, was on the banks of the avon at Ibsley some years back, when the guy who was taking over the manufacturing of Dave Swallow's reel sat down next to me and we 'designed' a line guard on the back of a fag packet !
I actually quite liked that old Trudex for light trotting, and they are comparativley cheap I notice.
All the best
dt

Dave
Waiting to see what the insurance company come up with. They try and replace so was offered a Purist for the Trudex but said no...rest cannot be replaced so a cash settlement likely. I doubt thought it will cover the cost of replacement...Adcocks are going for £230, match aerials anything up to £250 but I have spotted an Avon Royal for £90...as you say a lot out there ans some stupid prices on fleabag esp for trudex.

Having had all my pins (Aerial match, Trudex, Royal Supreme and Adcock) recently stolen i am on the look out for a trotting pin to replace by Adcock Stanton which now seen to go at £220 plus - i do not like look of the newer pins, so any suggestions re a more vintage pin for stick float/loafer use?

One of my favourites is the Trentman. Nice size for trotting and no handles to get in the way! Instead, perfect finger holes for playing fish in.

PM for you too...

Tim

Back