• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Which Alarms?

Ian Murfin

My old alarms have given up the ghost, so I'm in the market for some replacements, I don't use them that much but would like to get some that might last more than a season unlike my Nash ones.

I'm thinking maybe a should get a pair of second hand delkims from ebay, but is there anything else i should consider for similar money (approx £80)? I will mainly use them on still water but occasionally on the river for pike or even more occasionally barbel.

Thanks

Smurf

Only 1 choice for me Ian and thats Steve Nevilles,small compact design and ultra reliable. I do alot of Carp fishing and am forever hearing bad things about the newer Delks so would avoid these.

No dramas with Delks from me. However, if you are regularly fishing big rivers in breezy conditions I'd suggest that you make sure you get a model that has adjustable sensitivity.:eek:;):D

Alarms

Very happy with my Delkim TSIs which are 8 years old now. Mate bought some of older TSIs off ebay which had a dodgy sounder box and Delkim repaired it without a problem and they're serving him well.

I'm told the newer TSIs don't enjoy such a good reputation but have no first hand experience of them.

Ditto,what has been said about Delkims.If you look on ebay,they really hold their value second hand.A very good sign of reliability.I've had to send mine back for a minor repair (user error :eek:) and all was seemless.

mike

i have used delkins for over 35 years and swear by em for both reliability and
ability, all the rest are far behind them....j.w

All the bad reports iv heard about Delkims come from carp anglers, mainly these are of water getting in to the alarm, bear in mind that carp anglers tend to have there alarms out in all weathers for days on end. Take a look on some carp forums and you'l see its fairly common. You wont get much better than the older style Microns though you can pick a set of 3 and a reciever up for about the cost of 1 new Delkim

Need a pair of alarms myself,but Delks costing an arm and leg,was thinking i could buy a pair of optonics for less than half the price,of one Delk
(are optonics any good)???

Why is a little black box with just a few hi-tech parts as expensive as two
modern DVD players.............fishing tackle rip-off again :D

Howard

delks are not that a bad price, ev's are around £50, for such a top alarm, that's cheap.

Paul. Dont do alarms myself either ;)But as ive just joined a carp syndicate,
i now need some.:D

Worse still now need a new pod,lines,end tackle an perhaps a new rod,am
looking ta save a bit somewhere,hence cheaper alarms,an Two optonics
plus drop off indicators,are still cheaper than one of your reccomended
ones:)........But dont know if optonics are Good /Reliable

Dave. will have a gander at the EVs cheers.

Howard

The ATTS alarms are absolutely brilliant, very small and compact and silent, you do need a remote receiver however to make any noise, it will cost you around £170 for one alarm head and the remote receiver (£70 alarm and £100 for the receiver) plus £70 per additional head, upto 5 heads can be used on a receiver. There are deals on e-bay with 3 alarms and receiver for £300ish.

The receiver can be set on silent to just vibrate in your pocket which is perfect if you are river fishing and don't wish to disturb others.

There are deals on e-bay with 3 alarms and receiver for £300ish.

Ian. Really cheap then!!:eek: :)

Where the heck,did i shove them old Herons???

Howard

I've still got my optonics.

I've still got my delks.

I've now got ATT's.

I'd recommend any of the above. None have ever let me down - they don't go off that often, mind you that's a different story..

DElkims all the way for Barbelling, they work on vibration, all other alarms work by rotation or a moving magnetic field caused by rotation, as far as i am aware. With Delkims you can turn up or turn down the sensitivity given the conditions, on the right setting they will even alarm at drop back bites. I know a few carpers and the in thing is ATTs alarms and Steve Nevilles, for the simple reason they are small, look good and have Steve's Name on them.
Its a matter of choice.

Phoned a dealer today,as considering ordering a pair of Delkims,
he suggested that if i fish in the rain to reconsider my choice,as loads
of anglers moaning about them letting water.
His opinion was Fox were as good as any,and half the price,and dont leak.

Doubting his opinion i googled Delkim problems/delkim not waterproof and
yep lots of probs,so for over £200 for a pair,will keep trying for reliable ones
as dont wanna add to the pile of about 7 **** buzzers i allready have in my drawers.

Not sure if the cheaper Delks suffer similar porbs though???

Howard

Back