• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

When I'm 65

Fred Bonney

No Longer a Member
Picked this up from elsewhere and using with approval.

Its that time of year again when the EA send out notices to anglers who buy thier license by direct debit stating that they will be debited the fee (£27) on the 1st March.
A friend of mine enjoyed his sixty fifth birthday last year in the early part of April and was almost caught out, but on the last day possible he notified the agency that for the coming angling year much of it would be consessioary ((£18 now). He was told that as his birthday fell after the 1st of March he would have to pay the full amount so he cancelled his direct debit -waited a week or so as he wasnt going fishing and then bought one at the post office, so saving £9.00 on todays price.
Do take care this year if you are sixty four years old now. No matter if its months down the line when you reach sixty five, but if its only a few days or so into March/April then you may get stung.

Great, another benefit to getting older! :)

Enjoyed getting past 60 last year, the winter club membership (sorry, fuel!) allowance came in very handy as did the access to free swimming and reduced prices for new glasses. Not had occasion yet to make use of my bus pass but have researched which buses go near my favourite fishing spots. :D

hi fred.i shall all being well be 83 in may and most clubs i am in give me half price permits.the town that i live in for 60yrs and paid all my dues want to charge me a £40 joining fee and £20 permit for the next 3 yrs for water that i fished for 5 shillings in 1950 .how sad .no wonder some are going bust.there are a dozen more here like me.they would be hard put to to run a bingo session
albert

hi fred.i shall all being well be 83 in may and most clubs i am in give me half price permits.the town that i live in for 60yrs and paid all my dues want to charge me a £40 joining fee and £20 permit for the next 3 yrs for water that i fished for 5 shillings in 1950 .how sad .no wonder some are going bust.there are a dozen more here like me.they would be hard put to to run a bingo session
albert
I hope I shall be still fishing at 83, and look forward to reading your posts when you are 93! It's interesting to compare prices from past eras. According to the National Archives' currency converter, 5 shillings in 1950 is equivalent to £5.70 now. The current price of £20 for 3 years is £6.66 a year, so the permit price hasn't actually gone up much in 60 years (assuming the 5 shillings was per year).

The £40 joining fee is shocking though. Most businesses offer discounts to attract new customers, but angling clubs charge extra! An odd marketing plan.

Albert, the clubs commitee should consider the age of an angler, how many times is an average angler of 80 going to go fishing? if he was a member of long standing then surely a club could say go on and have a few days free every year as your fees have more than covered it in the past:)
Fred i am hitting my 64th wicket this year;) yeah give us olduns a big discount, better still give the over retirement age anglers free license, after all its costs nothing to the government....j.w:)

One thing I did notice is that Lady anglers get no concession 'til they're 65 either!
Equal rights I know, but up to a few years ago, I wonder if the Ladies got the concession at 60?

andy and john.thanks for the lift.i do 4hrs max in daylight on the bank.i have not wet a line for 6wks.but the wife is ready with the starting handle anytime now.she is awesome with the landing net.
albert:)

Albert,
It's a pity you don't live in Nantwich as subs are £10 with some nice stretches of River Weaver.

Bob.

I'm o/k mucker. Don't like West Indies as not too many barbel in their rivers.

Albert! you tell her to watch out where she does the starting handle bit:D:D:D
dont forget to adjust the magneto 1st lol.....j.w;)

Great, another benefit to getting older! :)

Enjoyed getting past 60 last year, the winter club membership (sorry, fuel!) allowance came in very handy as did the access to free swimming and reduced prices for new glasses. Not had occasion yet to make use of my bus pass but have researched which buses go near my favourite fishing spots. :D

I have to say I didn't "enjoy" reaching 60, and doubt that I shall enjoy reaching 65 either. Nowhere near as much as I enjoyed reaching 20, or even 30. Felt like crying into my beer. ;-)

On bus passes: a great little bonus, BUT, certainly in my area, I cannot use it free until 9.30 am. In Summer that is half the fishing day gone. I understand that between 7 and 9:30, the buses are full of commuters, and it is then entirely reasonable to ban the bus pass. But I want to be on that bus at 3.00am for June fishing, and it runs past me nearly empty then. Means I have to use the car, and bang goes the green advantage.

I console myself with the thought that the bus, with its two 4am passengers, is NOT greener than my car with one.

Not that it's any help to me for fishing,but in South London/Surrey there is no time restriction when using our bus passes,but there is on the trains.Although I suppose I could use the bus and the tram to get to the River Wandle,but somehow don't ever bother,choosing to use the car.

Pete;)

When I was a lad (age 1 to age 18) I lived literally on the banks of the Wandle, Wandle Bank, backing on to the old Merton bus depot. In those days the Wandle had nothing but sticklebacks in it, how it's changed now that the Board Mills has gone!

Back