• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What's it all about ?

Nic Costar

This Mist and Fog :(

Why is it when these Mist or Fog banks roll in the whole river goes quiet, you don't hear fish movement even from chub, Foxes screaming ,Owls "tooting", Dogs barking nothing, it just seems everything just switches off ?

The temperature drops making it feel even colder, You just know it's gonna be a hard night fishing when this happens :rolleyes:

Anyone else found this happens on they river ?

Are you still catching or even getting takes from Barbel ?

How does it effect the fishing, do fish know ?

Why is it when these Mist or Fog banks roll in the whole river goes quiet, you don't hear fish movement even from chub, Foxes screaming ,Owls "tooting", Dogs barking nothing, it just seems everything just switches off ?

The temperature drops making it feel even colder, You just know it's gonna be a hard night fishing when this happens :rolleyes:

I seem to be ok on my local river in any conditions up to now this year, and rather suprisingly i get plenty of activity including pike topping aswel as chub even blackbirds singing but as soon as clock hits 4am I get nothing nd see no activity.
Cheers

My river has been fishing well as late, Its also possible to float fish for Barbel mid river without being blown all over the place.

its not too bad considered that last year, the cold was here and just starting to bite, roll on December.

Nic, you might find it interesting to read the Moonstrike website by Chris Lyons. Here his findings would seem to reflect your own (mine too) where dense fog is concerned. A light mist doesn't seem quite as detrimental to fishing but fog is, in my experience, the kiss of death.

Nic, you might find it interesting to read the Moonstrike website by Chris Lyons. Here his findings would seem to reflect your own (mine too) where dense fog is concerned. A light mist doesn't seem quite as detrimental to fishing but fog is, in my experience, the kiss of death.

That article by Chris was very interesting indeed Alex ;) it proves not to bother when you know that fog is about :rolleyes:

Kiss of death is right mate, but i call it the "Fog of Doom" :(

Once you start looking at that, you then look at the moon phases, i was out at the weekend, only had 2 fish, but they were both within the set times for the phases, is there more to it than meets the eye.
Didn't like the fog, not good at all.

Last edited:
Funny enough Mark, i already check the moon phases and times given out ;) i don't live by them but it does make a difference at this time of the year :) it's just making sure your in the right swim when they decide to feed :rolleyes:

On the moon phase theory I have never found days listed as excellent to be anything better than average but have found good days to be the best. In fact I have had a lot of blanks on excellent days, with grim days being not much worse. But good days generally come up with the goods other factors being considered of course

Back