• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

whats going wrong

Jerry Gleeson

had a late evening session last night, i was using a centrepin with a braid mainline, running ledger, 2ft tail with a hair rigged double 10mm pellet, anyway i had 3 screaming bites, rod pulled straight round and the centrepin screamed off, each time i struck and pulled into the fish the hook pulled, on each occasion i let the fish run a bit longer but still the hook pulled.
Any idea,s?
was i striking to hard, not striking hard enough?
i,m confident enough to say if i had been using mono each fish would have been in the net!
i enjoy fishing with braid although i am knew to using it especially on a centrepin.
cheers
jerry

Could be literally anything but a good place to start looking at would be the first point of contact the fish has with you, the bait.
How were your pellets placed on your hair; back to back, end to end (length ways) etc

Then work up from there; hair length, hook size and suitability...

No strike needed on those bites Jerry IMO.

If you're lacking confidence on braid then go back to mono - but I think its probably your hook.

if the rod is hooped over ,don't strike just clamp your thumb onto the rim (and possibly grab hold of the spool in the palm of your left hand ) hold everyting and as soon as the rod bends further release the pressure .the fish should of hooked itself .

striking with braid on a pin is unessaccery ,a gentle smooth sweep back usually sets the hook (theres no stretch too strike though) no need too rush it ,if you strike too quickly and too big (they're not sharks) you will without the stretchy mono ,pull the hook out .

general tip: always check the sharpness of hooks ,before a cast & whenever rebaiting ,use your thumb tip .if it breaks skin whith ease its good ,if it draws blood its great .if it fails too penetrate or has too be forced. change it .

Sorry Jerry, I can't make out whether or not you are actually getting any significant contact before the hook pull or not?

If not then like Mark I'd guess at it being chub, especially if the bait is on a longish hair. Had it happen to me a couple of weeks back.

If you seem to be making significant connection then it's probably the hook. They don't have to be very blunt for this to happen. I lost a fish like this on Friday night. I was dog tired and the weather was horrendous. I'd just caught a fish so I tested the hook point. It pulled into my hand ok but wasn't biting into my nail. In the end I just decided to get a bait out and get under the brolly ASAP. Bad idea!

This exact same thing happed to me 3 times during the first week of the season. I was using mono with a braid hooklink, shortish hair and brand new ESP Raptor size 10 hooks with a drilled 12mm pellet. Each take was a wrap round, each fish was definitely on for between 5 and 10 seconds (not bumping off immediately) and these were definitely not chub considering the brute force of the lunges!

I hadn't had this happen for the entire 2010 season so I was gobsmacked. I have always used fairly small hooks and so the only thing I could do was change to a bigger hook? I changed to a Nash Fang size 8 and it didnt happen with 2 takes after that. I did consider a size 8 a tad large for a single 12mm pellet, so next time out it will be the D7 Raptor size 9!

I'm still scratching my head a bit over it as I have always used these pellets with this hook and always a new hook (or point touched up with a sharpening stone after catching and then testing the point.)

For what it's worth, all 3 times this was in one particular swim - and a heavily pressured one at that.

I have had some full blooded liners, that to me at first i perceived they were bites. even taking quite a few yards of line.

Great fun but mind boggling when it happens

Back