• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Whats better??

Lewis Anderson

Which is better for you, ie. catches more big barbel??

Size 6 hook 18-22mm boilie/pellet
or
size 12 hook 6-10mm boilie/pellet

Last edited:
Impossible to answer Lewis
Depends on conditions,..ie low and clear, flood, day or night,...it would be daft to generalize really.

My experience is completely the opposite ,all the larget fish I have caught have been caught on big hooks and big baits , but as an earlier poster said it is largely pointless asking the question as anglers use different rigs for different conditions . Please note baits other than pellets are available and in all sizes :)

As said, this is a 'how long is a piece of string' type question....there is no sensible answer.

Those who claim that all their fish come on a certain size/type of bait, if they are honest with themselves, are most probably only expressing their favourite size/type of bait. However hard we try to experiment, when times are hard and we are not catching, we invariable fall back on the bait that bought us our greatest successes in the past.

The obvious end result is a hankering to use that bait within half an hour of the latest experimental bait failing to produce :D From then on, we use that bait more than any other...so it is obviously the bait we catch most on :p

Of course I am only talking about personal experience...I am sure most others are not tainted by such lazy, embarrassing failings themselves :D

Cheers, Dave.

As said, this is a 'how long is a piece of string' type question....there is no sensible answer.

Those who claim that all their fish come on a certain size/type of bait, if they are honest with themselves, are most probably only expressing their favourite size/type of bait. However hard we try to experiment, when times are hard and we are not catching, we invariable fall back on the bait that bought us our greatest successes in the past.

The obvious end result is a hankering to use that bait within half an hour of the latest experimental bait failing to produce :D From then on, we use that bait more than any other...so it is obviously the bait we catch most on :p

Of course I am only talking about personal experience...I am sure most others are not tainted by such lazy, embarrassing failings themselves :D

Cheers, Dave.

This is indeed an embarrassing failing Dave. But I could probably go one better. After a run of indifferent results (commonly referred to as "blanks") I caught a nice barbel on Monday evening. When I had packed up all my stuff ready to make my way back to the car, I stopped, turned and then thanked the swim for delivering a fish. This wasn't even under my breathe, I literally uttered the words out loud. How sad is that?

This is indeed an embarrassing failing Dave. But I could probably go one better. After a run of indifferent results (commonly referred to as "blanks") I caught a nice barbel on Monday evening. When I had packed up all my stuff ready to make my way back to the car, I stopped, turned and then thanked the swim for delivering a fish. This wasn't even under my breathe, I literally uttered the words out loud. How sad is that?

I see nothing embarrassing or unusual about that Howard....I invariably turn and have a few words with the river, the swim and the angling gods, as I am leaving. It is true I haven't done it after catching a decent fish yet....but there are reasons which I don't wish to discuss for that....

Cheers, Dave.

I see nothing embarrassing or unusual about that Howard....I invariably turn and have a few words with the river, the swim and the angling gods, as I am leaving. It is true I haven't done it after catching a decent fish yet....but there are reasons which I don't wish to discuss for that....

Cheers, Dave.

I think it's really sweet ! Some of the best conversations I have nowadays are either with myself or inanimate objects :eek:

I think it's really sweet ! Some of the best conversations I have nowadays are either with myself or inanimate objects :eek:

Me too Dave :) I have interminable conversations with my laptop, which somehow unfortunately end up on here. I say unfortunately...but at least I am trying to redress the complaint that not enough folk post on here now :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Howard, you're not on your own giving thanks to the river.

I always pay the river gods in silver coin (well shrapnel really, 5, 10 or 20p coin) when I first cast in and always say thank you as I leave.

Something about being Welsh perhaps :D

I always pay the river gods in silver coin (well shrapnel really, 5, 10 or 20p coin) when I first cast in and always say thank you as I leave.

Strewth Martin....have you any idea how many of this lot will now be haunting your swims in wet suits :eek:

Cheers, Dave :D

Really? What a relief.

It somehow felt it was the right thing to do. It transforms your walk back to the car doesn't it-when you had convinced yourself it was going to be another blank and then when you are starting to think about packing up, the tip twitches and bangs round and the centrepin goes all loud. Doesn't matter how big the fish is, it's a fish and when it's safely landed, order in the world has been restored and everything is good. And your walk back is joyous and somehow all your stuff seems light, fluffy and a doddle to carry. Magic.

Really? What a relief.

It somehow felt it was the right thing to do. It transforms your walk back to the car doesn't it-when you had convinced yourself it was going to be another blank and then when you are starting to think about packing up, the tip twitches and bangs round and the centrepin goes all loud. Doesn't matter how big the fish is, it's a fish and when it's safely landed, order in the world has been restored and everything is good. And your walk back is joyous and somehow all your stuff seems light, fluffy and a doddle to carry. Magic.

Have you got any of that stuff left Howard...........................................

Cheers, Dave.

Strewth Martin....have you any idea how many of this lot will now be haunting your swims in wet suits

Not really worth the risk David, too many 3/4 ounce feeders packed with goodies flying around to make salvage a viable option :rolleyes:

Howard, I really do get what you mean there mate, fantastic feeling without a shadow of a doubt.

Until you hit the last great big hill before the car park then it all evaporates rather quickly into a sweaty, gasping, fugg of exhaustion. :D

Strewth Martin....have you any idea how many of this lot will now be haunting your swims in wet suits

Not really worth the risk David, too many 3/4 ounce feeders packed with goodies flying around to make salvage a viable option :rolleyes:

Howard, I really do get what you mean there mate, fantastic feeling without a shadow of a doubt.

Until you hit the last great big hill before the car park then it all evaporates rather quickly into a sweaty, gasping, fugg of exhaustion. :D

Rather like those rare occasions when my wife calls down to invite me upstairs for...... well, I've never found out what.

Back