• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What type of water am I fishing?

Vincent Coulson

Ok, this may sound like a weird question but its one that always annoys me. Hoe do I know (when fishing stillwaters) what type of water Im on. I mean, when does a pond become a lake, or a Mere? Is it regional do people call the same thing something different?

I sometimes wish I could shut by brain off.
:D

I laughed when I read this but on further investigation you have got a point. A quick google search will give you some idea of the scale of the question and the confusion which seems to surround the answer, even geographers and academics don't seem to be able to agree on the definition. A look at the thesaurus only seems to muddy the waters. http://thesaurus.com/browse/lake
The answer seems to be if its known locally or on the os map as a lake/pool/mere etc then that's what it is.

Come on Vincent, play the game. If you catch a 9lb+ tench it would be from a gravel pit (or possibly a secret estate lake), a 20lb pike would be from a lake and if your bagging up on small rudd, it's a pond.:)

Sorry I lost my internet after posting this!

I know its a nightmare. I just thought I'd put it up and see what people thought. I mention the mere's as I live in Manchester and so when I fish anywhere in cheshire thats bigger than a good old chuck with a big waggler it a 'Cheshire Mere'...

There's no nine pound tench in cheshire mere's though, unless someone wants to tell me which one :p

?

Meres are for the upper class! Ponds are for the Northerners! Duck ponds are for Southerners! Also southerners have Gravel pits when us Northerners have Quarrys!:D

Let's be fair Mark, we had Duck Ponds in the North too until the last recession. What with food prices going through the roof you can't blame the canny northerner for taking a pot shot or two at our feathered friends and flogging them to our drought dillusioned southern neighbours.

Adrian - It's statements like that that make the Grey Mist desend on me. ;) Sandiway - you southerners can keep your 9's - we only weigh doubles on MPL these days! :p

Back to the point - surely anything below half an acre is a pond, anything above that is a lake, unless otherwise specified - i.e. Mere, Gravel/Sand/Clay Pit, Reservoir, Flash or Tarn etc. Contrary to Marks statement Mere's are not confined to the upper(middle) class / Cheshire area. Scarborough has a Mere!

Why do they call Lake Windermere a lake when its a mere, and II think there is only one lake in the lake district and that is Lake Bassenstwaite:eek: not sure on the spelling neither:D

Back to the point - surely anything below half an acre is a pond, anything above that is a lake, unless otherwise specified - i.e. Mere, Gravel/Sand/Clay Pit, Reservoir, Flash or Tarn etc. Contrary to Marks statement Mere's are not confined to the upper(middle) class / Cheshire area. Scarborough has a Mere!
You're forgetting somethig considerably larger than that (and in East Yorkshire) - Hornsea Mere ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornsea_Mere )

Not forgotten Darryl! Decided Scarborough the better north east example as those in the south might have some idea of where it is! ( Pottery and Butterfly enthusiasts not included! ;) )

Back