• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What Paste ?

D

Daniel Potter

Hi Chaps,

The pellet thread prompted me to look into what pellets to get for the coming season and also to investigate paste baits.

On the pellet front I think the Sonu Baits Barbel & Carp Elliptical Pellets look fine with a mixture of sizes being used.

On the paste front I have looked at the following:

CC Moore Odyssey XXX Bait Paste 1kg = £9.49
Sonu Baits Barbel and Carp Paste 1kg = £17.50
Lone Angler Sausage Sizzle Paste 1kg = £14.00

They do seem quite expensive. I have tried an number of paste baits in the past but without great success. Last summer/autumn all my barbel and chub came on, in order of success, plain spam, homemade cheese paste, bread crust.

I was thinking of using pellets and paste this season as a change. I will be fishing the Kennet and Loddon.

What are your opinions on the pellet/paste versus the more traditional baits.

Given my lack of success on all these fancy baits i.e. boilies, pastes, pellets etc I would like to hear how others get on with them. Do they give you consistent success ? Do you tend to use them during the night or day or both ? Do they work better in coloured or clear conditions ?

I would be interested in any views on the subject.

Many thanks

Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it is worth Daniel.in the last 5years I have used halibut pellet - meat and ellip pellets. And in that time the halibut out scored the other two time after time.i never considered paste because because I was happy with the other three.in short if they are not there it won't matter. Unless wrapped round a pellet paste is dodgy in a strong flow.
Albert

Yes, all the pre-made pastes are expensive so make your own!

Grind large pellets down if you have a mill or just use the smallest ones you have. Add a bit of boiling water and wait for them to break down. Mash the stodgy result up and check for consistency. Too stiff and add a little more boiling water or too sloppy and add a little more ground pellet. Your homemade paste will need to be frozen between use as mould will form after a week or two in the fridge.

Make your own paste from boilies in a similar way. Mill down a large handful to a fine powder and then add a egg and mash it all together. Leave for a little while to stiffen as the egg is absorbed. Too stiff and add some more egg, or to sloppy and add more ground boilie. Shelf life boilies make paste which keeps in the fridge almost indefinitely due to the preservatives present. I wrap my pastes in cling film to stop them drying out.

To use, wrap a generous amount around a pellet or boilie and cast in. If the consistency is correct it will stay on after a retrieve and gradually be whittled down by the flow leaving a scent trail to the hookbait.

For sure, barbel love pellets but if the reaches you fish have been hammered with pellet then the fish are likely to be more wary of them and less so of other less used baits.

Hope that helps.

Stephen

Chaps,

Thank you for the PM's and replies. You have given me some good ideas and I will definitely be attempting to make my own paste ready for the new season.

Do you think that ground pellets and boilies are just as good as buying a base mix and adding the eggs etc. I would imaging the costs would be similar.

Thanks again

Dan

Yes, all the pre-made pastes are expensive so make your own!

Grind large pellets down if you have a mill or just use the smallest ones you have. Add a bit of boiling water and wait for them to break down. Mash the stodgy result up and check for consistency. Too stiff and add a little more boiling water or too sloppy and add a little more ground pellet. Your homemade paste will need to be frozen between use as mould will form after a week or two in the fridge.

Make your own paste from boilies in a similar way. Mill down a large handful to a fine powder and then add a egg and mash it all together. Leave for a little while to stiffen as the egg is absorbed. Too stiff and add some more egg, or to sloppy and add more ground boilie. Shelf life boilies make paste which keeps in the fridge almost indefinitely due to the preservatives present. I wrap my pastes in cling film to stop them drying out.

To use, wrap a generous amount around a pellet or boilie and cast in. If the consistency is correct it will stay on after a retrieve and gradually be whittled down by the flow leaving a scent trail to the hookbait.

For sure, barbel love pellets but if the reaches you fish have been hammered with pellet then the fish are likely to be more wary of them and less so of other less used baits.

Hope that helps.

Stephen

It does help Stephen. Really nicely and simply put.

A few years ago I spent a lot of time and money on different pastes/pellets. I came around to using good good halibuts, Sonubaits and Teme Severn elipse. now it will be halibuts and Sonubaits. If I want a paste I just use small pellets and water. I was undecided whether to use a good mix of sizes or just a couple of sizes. There are that many options I confuse myself when the fish just wants something to eat. So I have decided either 3 or 4mm with whatever I am putting on the hook. Less expense, less confusion and less to carry.

Back