• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What kind of duck is this?

Andy Millichamp

I had these ducks in my swim on the Severn the other night. It's not one I'm familiar with — any ideas?

One of them looked like it was probably the mother. The stripe on its head was stronger than it appears in the photos, the camera doesn't seem to have caught it well.

duck.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

IMG_3513xx.jpg

Thanks, guys, looks like you are spot on with a female Mandarin, that stripe is distictive. I'd love to have seen the father! A bit of Googling suggests they are quite common on the lower Severn but not on the middle (this was near Bridgnorth), but there is the odd pair in the area. Nice to see they are breeding, even if they are not indiginous. There were four ducklings in the group.

I looked up Ringed Teal as well, there were a couple of photos that looked just right, until I came to the conclusion that the photographer had mis-identified it! The female ringed teal has a stripe but it's not as narrow or clean as the Mandarin.

220px-Aix_galericulata_-_Z%C3%BCrich_-_Hafen_Riesbach_2011-01-14_15-58-32.JPG

Mandarin%20Eye%20On%20Line.jpg

According to Thorburn's birds was in The UK since 1745 and then started feral breeding in Virginia Water near ascot in 1929. A winged colony started in Shrops in 1935. Reached North Wales and Lancs by 1944. oe'r

Exactly what I posted on the Wye thread now seen several female Mandarins up and down the river. Very cheeky and bold little blighters which actually chase the feeder into the water....

Brian

Yeah its w female mandarin as stated the male is a cracking bird

Had a whole family swimming round in front of me on the Wye the other night. Like you say - very tame and inquisitive.

So thats what they are ! Loads of them on one particular stretch of the loddon i fish at the moment. I was texting my mate about them, they're not shy about diving for your bait as you throw it in either !

Ian.

Back