• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What is Best Relief Lotion/Cream from Insect Bites

Mike Window

Senior Member & Supporter
I continue in forgetting to use insect repellant whenever I go fishing. I must have at least 4 different repellants.
I have 8 bites at the moment.
I have tried using a cream from Boots and also TCP but I am still scratching away merrily.
Any recommendations apart from "Don't Forget the Repellant"?

Try Anthisan Mike. We use it at work all too frequently. It seems to work on everything from Blandford Fly to wasp stings. Great at controlling that initial pain and soreness.
You can also buy after bite 'pens' that you dab onto a bite. These work but I can't for the life of me remember what our one is called.

We keep horses and suffer badly with horsefly bites during the summer. We have found Hedgewitch Essentials products that can be used not only on our horses but humans too. It’s all essential oils based and natural products. The bite and sting gel works brilliantly and really quickly. Well worth a look. The Icardin insect repellant is fabulous too. Dries really quickly. Not Deet based , all natural etc so really good for allergies etc. I carry a small pump bottle of it in my kit along with a tin of bite gel everywhere during the summer.

Recently been fishing in Austria and was 'mullered by the mossies'. I didn't see that coming 🫣. Basic Savalon antiseptic cream sorted it for me when I got back from the fishing. I never use any sort of insect repellent on my skin or hands, although there seems to be good recommendations made on here.

Last edited:
Back