• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What float line do you use? Floating or standard?

Jon Kennard

Hi guys already super excited for my for days on the wye in June!!! Getting up for a few trips this season. Wanted to ask what reel line people use for float fishing? Also do people think floating line is an advantage? Thanks Jon

Hi guys already super excited for my for days on the wye in June!!! Getting up for a few trips this season. Wanted to ask what reel line people use for float fishing? Also do people think floating line is an advantage? Thanks Jon
Floating line all the way, easier to mend and retrieve . Drennan Float or Reflo Power will cover most situations .

Thanks Tom always used drennan float fish in lesser sizes but used a drennan standard main line last year. I know dave harrel does a floating line I'm sure that's worth a look to. He's alright with a float!!!

Consider braid, with a stretchy leader, if long-trotting at distance. It keeps you more 'in touch', it's easy to mend (lifts well), and is much more visible at distance (so mending is easier in this way too). IMO

What ever line you use spraying with line floating does a far better job.

Thanks Tom always used drennan float fish in lesser sizes but used a drennan standard main line last year. I know dave harrel does a floating line I'm sure that's worth a look to. He's alright with a float!!!
I tried drennan Floatfish and it was ok,Was recommended silstar matchteam but at the time wasn't widely available so switched to preston reflo power and that stuff took my floatfishing to the next level,it floats well,very thin diameter and casts like a dream.

Thanks gents some useful comments. I'll look the Preston reflo up. As mentioned in another post ive used Preston powerline for years in still waters and found it to be amazing both for hook length and pole mainline. Just realised when looking up that's the same line I've been using. Didn't realise it was floating?

I use Dave Harrel’s pro float for trotting, it goes up to 8lb, while Drennan float fish only goes up to 6lb, I think. I dont think it floats any better than Drennan, you still have to use mucilin on it or another floatant. And I’ve found it difficult to move shot around on it, it seems to put “dents” in the line.

I’ve got more of the 6lb breaking strain in both than I’ll probably ever use. It might not be high enough bs for the wye but if you send me your details by pm I’ll send you a spool of each if I have them to spare

I must have had a bad spool of Preston reflo, it broke at the knot every time I used it for a hook length

I know a lot of people swear by it

Yes ive used it for years its been faultless for me as hook length. However issues with knotless knot but the hook size i choice and the way i tied it. Thank you very much for your kind offer I'll message you.

If using braid , of any colour , I fish it right through , terminating it at a micro swivel for the hook length . If the rod is too beefy it can result in the fish bouncing off , so I tend to use through action rods for braid , more powerful rods with mono .It's all about balance .

Reflo is brilliant stuff and it's my go to hooklink for almost everything from Dace 0.11mm to Salmon 0.25mm.
Very fussy about knots though. 5/6 turn grinners seem to be pretty reliable likewise tucked blood knots. 7 turns fail every time, 6 turns seem to work fine. My local tackle dealer thinks because of the high silicone content it's best to avoid spit lubrication and just wipe on your forehead.
Another vote for braid mainline, no need for any dressing at all and you'll never lose a float again. Helps putting pressure on large fish too with the zero stretch.

Thanks guys ive got a pin with braid on it was going to do a bit of strett pegging on it but wasn't thinking about trotting. I would imagine the acolyte ive just bought off Terry would be a bit light for strong braid? I've got spider braid 44lb obviously only some crazy thin diameter

Pretty sure DH has just released a new floating line. I use Drennan and DH, and have had no problems with either. The diameter to breaking strain is different for the two though, but I always purchase based on diameter anyway.

Thanks guys ive got a pin with braid on it was going to do a bit of strett pegging on it but wasn't thinking about trotting. I would imagine the acolyte ive just bought off Terry would be a bit light for strong braid? I've got spider braid 44lb obviously only some crazy thin diameter
I use braid with mine, mostly with a powerline hook link 0.11 or 0.13mm but have gone up as far as 6lb Drennan 'normal' nylon, think it's 0.23mm, when I'm being bothered by Barbel. LOL.
I've used all sorts of braid and favour the Spiderwire for fixed spool use. For the centerpin I've found the best by far is Fox Jigsilk in 0.13mm which is about 22lb. Nice and smooth and doesn't fur up. Bright yellow and floats well even though it's sold as a sinking braid.
Don't forget it's only the hook link that dictates how much strain can be put on a rod, the mainline is irrelevant, unless it's in a snag which is highly unlikely.

Used 8lb ultima power steel for a good few years for trotting for barbel. Good reliable line with little stretch that behaves well on a pin. Give the spool a good soaking of GT85 and it floats well, make sure you spray the line when it's on the spool and not when it's loaded on your reel..

https://gt85.co.uk/gt85-original/

New Dave Harrell line coming out called pro match, don't know what the difference is between that and pro float but it meant to be a very good big fish float fishing line, David Roberts as just done review for it on Facebook, with a read.

Suspect the difference will be almost entirely in the price.
If you desire 100% floating line with no dressing and zero stretch braid is what you need.
Love Powerline and it's perfect for the centerpin, if you want a stretchy mainline. How to load it onto a fixed spool with the square spool, without introducing loads of twists escapes me.
If anyone knows please let me know.

New Dave Harrell line coming out called pro match, don't know what the difference is between that and pro float but it meant to be a very good big fish float fishing line, David Roberts as just done review for it on Facebook, with a read.

From a Dave Harrell post on Facebook:

It’s a naturally floating line for waggler or stick float fishing, Jason.
You can easily make it sink by using washing up liquid or sinking line spray before or during fishing.

Also:

It’s very abrasion resistant and a special outer coating allows for easy shot movement without damage to the line.

And yes, he says it’s more expensive than pro float

Back