• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What do people think the best rig is for barbel??

Wayne Glossop

Hi would just like to find a bit more out about the different rigs people use for barbel?

standard free running leger, with braided hooklink.
I never ever really bother with anything else as it always works for me.

Fantastic I use the same and also use the bolt rig in snaggy places.

Yes.

Courtesy of The Association of Barbel Anglers:

fixed.jpg
[/IMG]

If you wanted to fish your mainline straight through to the hook, you can put float rubbers on your line and the anti tangle sleeve can go over those instead.

Attachments

• fixed.jpg
    fixed.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 850
Steve,
I've not had a lot to do with coated braids but why do you change from mono to coated braid in flood conditions. And do you strip a small amount of the coat off to tie the hook on.If so how much. :confused: :eek:

Hi Graham.

I switch because the coated braid is better for anti tangle than the mono, plus its got better abrasive properties.
I tend to be dropping my rigs into some unforgiving spots when I'm flood fishing, and I need it to all hold together.

I'm currently using ESP 'Striptease' and I don't strip it back.

Steve

the question all anglers should ask themselves is, if the rigg is snagged or the rig is lost either through a snag or an unfortunate break, would the fish be tethered to either a lead or have an exceptionally long hook length hanging from its lip? Any rigs used for barbel should be 100 percent safe. i personally dont like lead clips either as most anglers worry first about losing a lead and not the safety of the fish......

I always use lead clips and tail rubbers due to the fishes safety and the if I'm unfortunate enough to hook a fish while my lead is snagged it will release. The tidal Trent is very snaggy in places.

Depends on the river, conditions and situation. For a general rig that works all over (Kennet, Wye, Thames), braid main line, ( rig tube if on Wye), enterprise safety running clip, (feeder/ lead), buffer bead, quick change swivel, Anti tangle sleeve,24 -36" braid hook length, size 10 hook on hair rig (8 for boiles).

Sometimes use lead core/ running back lead on swims with no snags.

Back