• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What a fantastic little reel

Neil Smart

The Okuma V40 V.2 bought this reel last season, and out of the box was impressed with it's build quality, and a couple of rotations of the single handle was equally impressed, but what about the clutch? the acid test for any reel that will have to cope with those barbel surges, and especially the last ditch effort before the the net (hopefully)....well I can tell you it is smooth as silk, and the rest of the stuff line lay, looks, roller on the pick up all good.
I just cannot believe the quality of this reel , compared with the more expensive reels I own...and all for about £30:)
The only downside is the one spool, but 'hey what the heck.
Just thought I would share to those that might be sceptical with the low price....don't.

I bought an Okuma Payback 30 18mths ago for about £40.00. Needed something small for a lure rod. I love this little reel, comes with an ali spool and a spare graphite spool. On the lookout for another for light feeder fishing.
This one has a "middle" position ratchet as well as on or off. Set to middle the ratchet is on, but turns off as soon as you turn the handle to retrieve.
Smashing reels.

Iv got an epix pro epb and tbh any rear baitrunner front drag will struggle to beat it feels like a million dollars if i dare say so myself and in my opinion its as good as my xtbs..... okuma reels the way forward

My Okuma Epix Pros are have a fantastic clutch and they are great reels — but let down by an erratic baitrunner switch. Sometimes the baitrunner doesn't engage properly, so you have to pull the line to check every time you switch it on, which is annoying. I've forgotten to check it occasionally and once nearly lost my rod. It happens on both Epix Pros and also my Interceptor Pro so it's not an isolated problem. I won a Korum KXi reel in last summer's BFW Fish-in, liked it, and bought a second one from Ebay. The front-drag clutch is also very good on these, but I know if the baitrunner switch is up, then it is engaged. Peace of mind.

p.s. What's the V40? I googled it and the only V40 I could find was a brightly coloured saltwater spinning reel in Australia.

My Okuma Epix Pros are have a fantastic clutch and they are great reels — but let down by an erratic baitrunner switch. Sometimes the baitrunner doesn't engage properly, so you have to pull the line to check every time you switch it on, which is annoying. I've forgotten to check it occasionally and once nearly lost my rod. It happens on both Epix Pros and also my Interceptor Pro so it's not an isolated problem. I won a Korum KXi reel in last summer's BFW Fish-in, liked it, and bought a second one from Ebay. The front-drag clutch is also very good on these, but I know if the baitrunner switch is up, then it is engaged. Peace of mind.

p.s. What's the V40? I googled it and the only V40 I could find was a brightly coloured saltwater spinning reel in Australia.

Hi Andy, I think the reel Neil is talking about is the Okuma epix V2 Baitfeeder EPX 40. I have got one, great reel £29.99 post free on Ebay.

Regards Ray Thorpe.

I have the same issues with my EPBs. I have the smaller KXi50 and I'm considering getting a set of the 60's to replace my Okumas. I think they are better reels than the Okuma EPBs.

Been a paranoid angler i always check the freespool facility on any freespool reel i use as the any fault with it can cost an arm and a leg ;) but the eratic switch can be abit daunting especially where barbel are involved

Hi Andy, I think the reel Neil is talking about is the Okuma epix V2 Baitfeeder EPX 40. I have got one, great reel £29.99 post free on Ebay.

Regards Ray Thorpe.

Thank's Ray that's the one, have'n't had an issue with the runner switch as yet, mind you I never leave mine in the on position unless attending to the essentials:eek: like pouring tea etc.:)

I have a Korum Kxi 50, bought unexpectedly for me as a birthday present. Very impressed.

Saying that, i have always been a massive fan of the okuma's in terms of value for money.

Looks a good little reel a for the money a bargain. I did have a korum kxi and that was a good reel just had to sell it as I've way too many reels.

Back