• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wet Summers

I find that really disturbing. Not the poor weather. I'm used to that. No, the fact that someone reads the Guardian. :eek:

:D

lol Clive. Made a little more difficult with the salt/vinegar stains. :p

Joking aside (though perhaps not).....I've yet to graduate to the tabloids. Perhaps that happens when one become overly cynical and just wants to look at pictures.

worthless paper filling I say, they cant even forecast a day or two ahead....

worthless paper filling I say, they cant even forecast a day or two ahead....

To be fair though TV weather people are pretty accurate at telling what weather you've just had. That takes up 50% of the program.

What are the French tabloids like, Clive?

On another note, are there any/many national angling papers that compare with, say, the AT or AM?

To be fair though TV weather people are pretty accurate at telling what weather you've just had. That takes up 50% of the program.

Not with you on that Clive. A day or two back I looked at one channel on the box, and the forecast said "a front moving up from France, bringing with it thunderstorms to many regions throughout the day"...I switched channels and the forecaster said "There will be odd showers, but you will be unlucky if you get caught in one" :eek:

But I agree, it often takes up half the program :D

Cheers, Dave.

What are the French tabloids like, Clive?

On another note, are there any/many national angling papers that compare with, say, the AT or AM?

I have never seen one, but to be fair, I haven't looked for one either. The paper all the locals seem to read is a regional one - Charente Libre That is more like the Yorkshire Post in that it concentrates almost entirely on matters concerning the region and is big on agricultural matters.

There are plenty of hunting / shooting type magazines laid about the various waiting rooms, but I've not noticed any angling journals.

Not with you on that Clive. A day or two back I looked at one channel on the box, and the forecast said "a front moving up from France, bringing with it thunderstorms to many regions throughout the day"...I switched channels and the forecaster said "There will be odd showers, but you will be unlucky if you get caught in one" :eek:

But I agree, it often takes up half the program :D

Cheers, Dave.

Obviously the second reporter was not in one of the many regions the first reporter mentioned. :p

Terry Wogan used to say that the difference between the Weather Report and the News is that the News told you what was going to happen and the Weather Forecast told you what had happened. I think there is an element of truth in that these days. :)

Who cares as long a Carol Kirkwood is reading it out............If she tells me she has a warm front moving in later then that's good enough for me.............

Who cares as long a Carol Kirkwood is reading it out............If she tells me she has a warm front moving in later then that's good enough for me.............

Richard...the opportunities for a followup innuendo filled reply to that are almost too tempting to resist...but I would not remain a member long enough to see the results...so maybe not :D

Cheers, Dave.

This seems more Anne Summers than Wet Summers, but how can the Met Men predict why we have had six wash our Summers out of seven when they can't get right what the Weather is doing to-morrow.

Carol Kirkwood, Billy and Suzanne, sack the lot and take those stupid hats with you..:mad:

Perhaps trends are easier to predict than detailed weather for a particular day? I read somewhere that, overall, weather forecasters get it right over 80% of the time. We're an unforgiving lot, however, when they get it wrong.

It's a thankless task, IMHO, much like work. No thanks for working hard and getting things right, but a lot of finger pointing when things go wrong. :)

This seems more Anne Summers than Wet Summers, but how can the Met Men predict why we have had six wash our Summers out of seven when they can't get right what the Weather is doing to-morrow.

Carol Kirkwood, Billy and Suzanne, sack the lot and take those stupid hats with you..:mad:

I just ask Rudolf The Red nowadays.....

Always make me laugh when they start trying to predict weather 10 years ahead right first of all we all better go and buy a boat as we now what happens when they forecast snow all the sledges sell out second of all we all better get to the supermarkets and stock up on food cause they may all get flooded out so its the worst kind of rubbish you will ever read right i have studdied weather since i was a kid one of thoose other things i do when i am not out on the bank predicting weather is really hard one change in the jet stream means weather fronts can turn 100 miles in a totally new direction

As anybody actually realised that are weather is starting to change back to what it used to be i.e the season are returning i.e snow in winter rain in april you now all that stuff i must say this year we are about a month and half in gardening terms behind what we were this time last year so now wonder the barbel in some river have not spawned yet

Perhaps trends are easier to predict than detailed weather for a particular day? I read somewhere that, overall, weather forecasters get it right over 80% of the time. We're an unforgiving lot, however, when they get it wrong.

It's a thankless task, IMHO, much like work. No thanks for working hard and getting things right, but a lot of finger pointing when things go wrong. :)

Quite right too, they should have the book thrown at them, I still think of that Michael Fish and his comment that ridiculed a listeners forecast that a Hurricane was coming, It's not he chortled, it is Michael and it set the standard for all subsequent BBC forecasting, don't take risks, if they ask what's the weather doing to-morrow make sure you have covered all bases.
My work, and fishing depends on accurate forecasting, and my conclusion is that the BBC have not got a clue about predicting weather patterns, my corns do a better job.:rolleyes:

Mmmm.........Carol Kirkwood in a sack.............why do I find that strangely appealing, thanks for that Neil.

You are a very naughty boy you know, but Carol is just toooo sweet, I prefer my weather served up by a bloke who may want to cut the grass, or perhaps do a spot of fishing...Wimmin, what do they know :rolleyes:

Back